UKC

Highlands - good solo ridge scrambles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
James Jackson 22 Aug 2015
Having recently moved to Scotland, I'm keen to get out and explore! I'm just north of Edinburgh, but have car - will travel.

I'm keen to get out somewhere tomorrow (weather looks OK to improving) for a bit of solo ridge scrambling, either around the Fort William or Aviemore areas. I'd welcome any suggestions of where to head for a decent outing.
In reply to James Jackson:

Fiacaill Ridge looks nice...
 mishabruml 22 Aug 2015
Aonach Eagach in Glencoe is a classic
Post edited at 11:32
 girlymonkey 22 Aug 2015

Afterthought arete is a cracking line, but a mod. I scramble it solo, but depends on your confidence levels I guess

Scrambling mods is no bother; thanks for the suggestions.
 planetmarshall 22 Aug 2015

Probably one of the best solo outings I had in the highlands was the Cioch Nose (VD) in Applecross, and the continuation ridge. Plus it has the benefit of finishing where you left your car.
 Mark Bull 22 Aug 2015

Could be very windy tomorrow - something not too exposed might be worth considering, such as Curved Ridge or Sron an Creise in Glen Coe.
 olddirtydoggy 22 Aug 2015

The Ring of Steall up past Glen Nevis in the Mamores was a good one. A high, long horseshoe with epic views to the Ben on a clear day. Scrambling can be made as hard as you want it by weaving.
 MG 22 Aug 2015

Any of the Nevis Ridges (Castle, Tower etc). All excellent. North East has a sting in the tail.
 Climbthatpitch 22 Aug 2015

+1 done it 2 weeks ago. Really nice just too short

There are dozens of good options - more so in the west than the Cairngorms. Depends what sort of thing you're happy soloing really
TheClimbingCrow 24 Aug 2015
Not really a scramble, but there's obviously the CMD arête of Nevis. Easy ridge, but definitely worth doing at least once.

And then there's the finest ridge walk in Scotland, the Forcan Ridge. Bit further up the road, but I defy anyone to name a more beautiful Grade 2 in Scotland.
 Flinticus 24 Aug 2015

Did you go out Sunday?

I saw this and thought its a mental plan for a day with wind speeds forecast to be 40-55 mph, gusting up to 70. At 50, you'll be getting knocked about and progress will be difficult and 70 will take you off your feet.

A ridge?? Any high hill??
 Ramblin dave 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> There are dozens of good options - more so in the west than the Cairngorms.

If only someone had written some sort of book...

Seriously, though, Dan's book "Scotland's Mountain Ridges" is a cracker and it's well worth investing in a copy.
 BnB 24 Aug 2015
In reply to TheClimbingCrow:

> Not really a scramble, but there's obviously the CMD arête of Nevis. Easy ridge, but definitely worth doing at least once.

> And then there's the finest ridge walk in Scotland, the Forcan Ridge. Bit further up the road, but I defy anyone to name a more beautiful Grade 2 in Scotland.

It is a lovely outing but the difficulties are all too escapable. I far prefer the Liathach and An Teallach traverses, which incidentally have better views (although that is a matter of opinion).
James Jackson 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Yeah I did get out, wind comes and wind goes; we all know what mountain forecasts can be like!

I headed up to Cairngorm, it was clearly rathy breezy from the car park, but any time out in the hills is worth it in my book. I stayed on the leeward side of Fiacaill ridge up until the saddle before the difficulties, popping up into the wind on the top of the ridge every now and then to admire Coire an t-Sneachda. It was clear that going up the ridge proper, or onto the plateau, was not a sensible idea, so I then traversed around into Coire an Lochain and had a nice potter around in the shelter there before heading back down the main track to the car park. Not an epic day out by any stretch, but a lovely few hours to clear the head.
 Flinticus 26 Aug 2015

Sounds worth the trip. As you say, any time out is worth it (though I might question that philosophy in heavy rain with strong winds!).

Myself, I was on Creag Meagaidh the Thursday before. At times crossing the plateaux between Carn Liath and Stob Poite Coire Ardair, I felt near to being blown off my feet, with the worse part at Sron Coire a'Chriochairein, where I was more stumbling forward with blurry vision than walking. Even down at Lochan a'Choire, infrequent gusts were strong enough to take my tent down (admittedly not a good tent in strong winds).
James Jackson 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Flinticus:

Yeah, even on the walk back across the bottom of the coire I was being blown around an awful lot; some rather off weather given the amazingly clear day!

Definitely going to head back up this weekend; the Met Office mountain forecast is looking pretty agreeable - will probably bivvie up somewhere on Saturday night to get a proper weekend of it.
 Mark Bull 26 Aug 2015

A gust of 104mph recorded on Cairngorm on Sunday - bit unusual for August!
 Flinticus 27 Aug 2015

I'm humming & hawing between a week day next week or the one after. Can't decide but need to by tomorrow, to book the day off. However, I'll need to carefully spread my holiday entitlement over the year until April (when it renews).

Can't stand the roads at the weekend (particularly now) and I like my hills empty too! Though I know most non-munro hills will hardly see any footfall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...