UKC

Ian Botham vs Scottish kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Morgan Woods 22 Aug 2015
A little gem from back in the day, from the graun's coverage of the final Ashes test. What a character! I'm very impressed with his apparent lack of need to be liked by anybody at all, especially those pesky kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=854&v=rGH6x98lEjc
 BnB 22 Aug 2015
In reply to Morgan Woods:

My cricket-mad son keeps describing modern players of quality as "cricketing greats". He's referring to the likes of Clarke and Broad, who are of course excellent professionals. No son, I say, the most recent modern great is Sachin Tendulkar and before him Warne and McGrath, maybe Murali. David Gower in full flow was a wonderful sight but if you want to see a titan in English white, then one player stands out, mullet, 'tache and all.
andymac 22 Aug 2015
In reply to BnB:

> My cricket-mad son keeps describing modern players of quality as "cricketing greats". He's referring to the likes of Clarke and Broad, who are of course excellent professionals. No son, I say, the most recent modern great is Sachin Tendulkar and before him Warne and McGrath, maybe Murali. David Gower in full flow was a wonderful sight but if you want to see a titan in English white, then one player stands out, mullet, 'tache and all.

Mike Gatting?

No,it's Jack Russell,isn't it?

I shouldn't know who these guys are ,but I used to watch Test matches back in the day.

Jack Russell was an interesting guy.remember seeing a painting he had done of Lords.

Very accomplished
In reply to BnB:

It is hard to argue that Anderson isn't one of the greatest ever English bowlers as he is the record wicket taker in Tests and overall.

Or that Cook is one of the greatest ever English batsmen as he is the record run scorer in Tests and is way ahead in the number of tons.
 BnB 25 Aug 2015
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

I agree the statistics are compelling. But I don't recall either of them dominating series after series against top quality opposition (Cook in Australia aside which was a stupendous run of form) despite the weight of their numbers. Would you put them up against Tendulkar or McGrath in the pantheon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...