UKC

Physio advice - torn quad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greylag 22 Aug 2015
Hi,

I'm after some advice on the above.

Football caused the injury 6 days ago now.

Leg still heavily swollen, painful, embarassing limp, can't stretch it without painetc. etc. and no end to the pain in sight!

Pain inch or two above the 'middle' of the my quad - googling images vastus intermedius looks like the muscle!

I dont want it to be a semi permanent thing so any advice gladly received!

Many thanks,
Stuart.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Aug 2015
In reply to greylag:

Go see a doctor?

Chris
OP Greylag 22 Aug 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Not to sound like a bloke but what can a doctor do about a torn muscle!?

Im not sure it warrants a doctors time.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Aug 2015
In reply to greylag:

Well if you can't walk properly and it still hurts after a week maybe you should? Even if just for some medication to help ease it.

Chris
In reply to greylag:

Go to GP, if complete tear may need surgery. If not would advise a good Physio to Ax damage/injury
 nathan79 22 Aug 2015
In reply to greylag:

See a professional rather than Dr Google. Decent sports physio. Might cost but well worth it.

If it is a tear (do you know this for sure?) Then it's not a waste of a doctor's time but I'd go straight for the physio option anyway.
OP Greylag 22 Aug 2015
In reply to nathan79:

No, not sure but leg is turning yellow!

Think ill see a doc!!
 Dave the Rave 22 Aug 2015
In reply to greylag:

Personally, I would wander into any local NHS drop in centre tomorrow, or A and E tomorrow if there's nothing else available.
If you have a palpable gap in the muscle then it may be a large tear and need orthopaedic opinion as to whether you need it immobilising or stitching .
 Roadrunner5 23 Aug 2015
In reply to greylag:
Go see a sports physio..

I wouldnt risk a GP.. they can be good but they normally say rest and take ibuprofen but you also need to work on getting the full range back and removing scar tissue.

The one good thing about the NHS is you can get free phsyio, can.. but its a post code lottery and even then a lottery.. If you have time get a GP appointment but if there's a tear or even a bruise a physio may be better. Are you sure it's not a dead leg? The bruising can take a few days to come out and can be a bleed deep in the muscle?

How do you know it's a tear?
Post edited at 01:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...