UKC

Quick drying crags Northumbeland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 22 Aug 2015
As above

Anyone know of quick drying venues?

Free tomorrow morning for a quick hit

Rain till midnight predicted then sun all of tomorrow

How about the likes of Wolf crag? Curtis crag?
 spenser 22 Aug 2015
In reply to Avinash Aujayeb:
Bowden Doors is quite exposed and dries relatively quickly, however you do need to be careful as the rock is quite soft, looking at the forecast for Belford the crag should dry at a quicker rate as the day goes on. Back Bowden had had about 36 hours to dry when I went last sunday and was still damp so I would definitely give that a miss. I haven't visited Wolf Crag/ Curtis Crag so can't comment on them.
Edit: Probably the most important thing to say is that if you get there and the rock is still wet please don't climb as you'll trash it not only for future generations but everyone that currently climbs in the county, either wait for it to dry or head home empty handed.
Post edited at 22:35
 Phill_Away 22 Aug 2015
I am going to have a look at Shaftoe crags in the morning for a boulder session with a fellow Wanney.

Phill
 Franco Cookson 22 Aug 2015

Sandy crag dries very fast. Seems to nearly always have a breeze and gets Sun on the bits that face south.
 tehmarks 22 Aug 2015

Fairly certain Simonside dries fairly quickly, and is very exposed to the wind. Mind you it's been a while since I climbed in the county, so don't take my word on that!
 Lloydfletch 22 Aug 2015

I was up at simonside last summer on a brilliant day and it was a bit filthy/midgy. might have been cleaned since (I feel like I've read a thread about it and it has), in which case it'll dry and be great. Wolf crag does face north, and is also a little dirty. Had a great few hours there though, and the approach is literally 5 minutes. bowden will be dry by the afternoon.
 JDal 23 Aug 2015

S facing East Woodburn?

David Cowley 23 Aug 2015

Bowden or kyloe dry pretty wellif you're after trad

Dr Avinash Aujayeb 23 Aug 2015
In reply to David Cowley:

We went to Curtis crag in the end and it was dry and warm and enjoyable

Cycled around after, and Great Wanneys and Woodburn crags looked dry too

Thanks
 Elsier 23 Aug 2015

I went to Simonside today and it was actually quite damp, beautiful spot though, so didn't mind not getting to climb.
 Franco Cookson 23 Aug 2015
In reply to Elsier:

Sandy was bone dry today. Absolutely class.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...