UKC

Quick question before checking with manufacturer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cerris90 24 Aug 2015
Stupidly didn't put my sun tan lotion/oil in a bag an it's burst in my bag. Now I am aware there is oils in this an that these go on your skin so shouldn't pose any harm but as a nice to know an a mitigation against what Could be a problem. Does anyone think that this could cause unseen damage or weakness to the core or sheath?
 jkarran 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> Does anyone think that this could cause unseen damage or weakness to the core or sheath?

Sorry but I doubt anyone is going to tell you it couldn't/wouldn't do any harm. A ride in the washing machine is a good start whatever you decide for it.

jk
OP Cerris90 24 Aug 2015
In reply to jkarran:

It's just a question before I find our more. And if anyone has done anything similar.
 jkarran 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> It's just a question before I find our more. And if anyone has done anything similar.

I understand but while it's probably fine nobody with any sense is going to tell you it *is* fine. I've spilled and smeared all sorts* on ropes over the years, sun cream included but while I can tell you they've not snapped and killed me I can't tell you they were unharmed.

*goat muck has to be the worst if not the most harmful. Grim.

Hope you get a satisfactory answer from the manufacturer.
jk
 Pete Potter 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

The problem you are up against is that unless the company you speak to has tested that specific brand of sun cream they cannot say it will have done no harm and the rope is still safe.
Some years ago I spilt Colman fuel all over my rope and whilst the company said it was probably not damaged they were unable to say it wasn't.
I do know that the Leeds university textile department ran a very extensive series of tests on products and contaminants so it may be worth speaking to them.
I believe the worst thing they found was dog urine!
 timjones 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Cerris90:

> Stupidly didn't put my sun tan lotion/oil in a bag an it's burst in my bag. Now I am aware there is oils in this an that these go on your skin so shouldn't pose any harm but as a nice to know an a mitigation against what Could be a problem. Does anyone think that this could cause unseen damage or weakness to the core or sheath?

I'm sure that some work has been done on suncreams on ropes. Sadly I don't remember the results.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...