UKC

Lightning striking a VF ....what happens ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sbc_10 24 Aug 2015
Does anyone know the outcome of a lightning bolt hitting the metalwork of a Via Ferrata ?
Reason being was that I was asked the very same question when finishing a VF in Switzerland a fortnight ago as it started to rumble upstairs. Needless to say, everything became very slick and we hit the turbo button. I didn't really have the time or surplus underwear to hang around to ponder the physics or answer the question, so it's still niggling at me.

Surely it must have happened somewhere in the Alps, but I have never seen a picture any molten metalwork or cut off cables, so I am thinking maybe it must Earth pretty quick.

Any knowledge to be had from UKC on this ??
 Trangia 24 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:
The advice in a VF Guide book I was recently using is to "Get off the wire and metal staples"!!

Great, but they don't explain how if you are half way up a vertical or even overhanging section several hundred metres up

Sorry, I have strayed from your question. Don't know the answer to what actually happens during a strike.

When I worked for Go Ape we commenced evacuation of the course at the first sign sign of thunder or lightning in the distance. Those past the half way point, or Tarzan swing carried on, those not at the half way point retreated. All carried out under the supervision of instructors who were the last to evacuate once everyone was safely down. I never experienced a strike but it got quite scary at times when lightning got close.
Post edited at 17:48
 hang_about 24 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

There are sections of VF cable that look unravelled - quite common. I was lead to believe this was due to lightning strikes. Get up early and get off before afternoon thunderstorms. I'd hate to be stuck up there in a storm!
 gethin_allen 24 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

Considering the size of the VF cables relative to lightening conductors you see on buildings I'd imagine that it would take the current of a strike.
The cable in back to the future was OK after the lightning strike IIRC.
 Kean 24 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10: There was a very bad incident on Marmolada a couple of months back...An Italian group were descending the VF on the normal route on Punta Penia. Approx 12 people. Lightning hit the VF...The entire party had entry and exit wounds on their hands and feet. One person died, others, I believe, lost consciousness and fell. I didn't know anybody in the group but a good friend knew them all...

This is from the newspaper...It says they were ascending, which is wrong.
http://corrierealpi.gelocal.it/belluno/cronaca/2015/06/14/news/fulmine-su-u...
 Martin W 24 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

A friend of mine was on a VF in the Dolomites a few years ago when the cable took a lightning strike. IIRC he was stunned for a few seconds, and I think he may have fallen on to the wire/his shock absorber. I do remember that it was the last day of his holiday, and when he got back he still had a couple of rather impressive black eyes. The general view was that it could have been a lot worse.

The best advice would seem to be not to go up if/when there's a risk of electrical storms.
 gilliesp 24 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

You are between a rock and a hard place if lightning happened when you are on VF cables. They are conductors and you are like a spark plug. If possible and safe get off them asap! Even sideways. However, the advice is get down off the mountain....as a wise Slovenian instructed me, you RUN!!!!

I met a woman on top of a VF a few weeks ago and she had witnessed a killer lightning strike on someone standing nearby two days previous on another VF. Just your luck! Our whole trip was undermined by the threat of lightning virtually everyafternoon. Most folk's rule was try to descend by midday ie start early.

Also, while we were there, four doctors were all hit by lighting on a VF cable they were attached to and were 'badly shaken' but thankfully not killed. The distribution rings of voltage gradient and current in a ground strike is worthwhile researching. The greater distance between a cows legs is why farm animals are susceptible to fatal strikes even when they are a distance from the strike. I remember a physics lecturer pointing out that a human standing on one leg in a welly boot had a better chance of survival in the open....assuming you didn't attract a strike to your bonce by holding up your brolly!
altirando 25 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:
I can give you the outcome of a lightning strike on my head - like a hammer blow on the crown. Saved from death by the fact it was pouring with rain and we had our hoods up, so the charge flowed down the water over the hoods and to the ground, rather than down our spines, fortunately we had taken up old fashioned cagoules to the hut as rain had been forecast. This was in the Swiss Valais. Been very wary about going high in thundery weather since.
 John Kelly 25 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

If you hang off your leashes without touching the rock (or being close enough to form an arc) you are in same position as bird on high voltage wire and they seem quite happy - hasten to add I'm not trying it and have profound respect for lightening
 JJL 25 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

If you are on a ladder, you should be ok - the ladders are thick bar and will conduct readily.

Staples and cables are a big no though.

On top of Naranjo de Bulnes my helmet started pinging and the hair went up on my head; then there was buzzing (by this time I was running for the descent).

I was about 10m below the summit when there was a HUGE flash and BANG! No one hurt... but hadn't looked like a storm 5' beforehand, just cloud. From the first prickles I guess we had 3'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...