UKC

Mont Buet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MrJared 26 Aug 2015
During a road trip me and the girlfriend are heading through the Alps (mainly Chamonix). Have looked into doing a day walk (no glaciers, no rock climbing - can deal with a bit of snow) while we are there.

One possibility is Mont Buet, I have done several Alpine Peaks but my girlfriend is much less experienced. Does anyone have any hints about the route plus is it worth doing for the view?

Thanks!
 DaveHK 26 Aug 2015
In reply to MrJared:

Can't give you tips on route as I skied up it but the view is great.
 Bob Aitken 26 Aug 2015
In reply to MrJared:

As a day walk it’s quite a hard one – only about 15km return, but with an ascent of 1750m, though you can conveniently split it into two with a break for refreshments at the Refuge de la Pierre a Berard. The path up the glen from Le Buet to the refuge has very fine woodland and river scenery, with rugged rock peaks looming steeply above. Later in the season the upper slopes are frankly a bit of a relentless scree trog; nothing remotely technical, it is just a walk. My memories of those slopes include the sufferings of our teenage nephew from Australia on his first visit to the Alps (indeed his first visit to any mountains). He hadn’t had enough opportunity to acclimatise, so he suffered a ferocious altitude headache and nausea in the best tradition of the early alpine pioneers. Happily that passed off immediately when we started down. The view from the Buet is impressive, though I’ve not had it perfectly clear on top.

As a less strenuous alternative, I’d recommend the Lac Blanc walk. Start at the Col des Montets and follow the TMC balcon path along to the Lac Blanc refuge (another good refreshment stop). You can then either drop back towards Argentiere, or take the Flegere lift and get train/bus back up to the Montets. You don’t get to a summit, but given the weather, the views across the valley to the whole range of Mt Blanc are superb. And you’re almost certain to have close encounters with bouquetin, they’re practically tame.

OP MrJared 26 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Thanks for the advice! will look into Lac Blanc, she might enjoy it a bit more than a slog up screes!
 gobbyduck 26 Aug 2015
In reply to MrJared:
An overnight stay at refuge loriaz and scent of cherval blank using fixed chains onto mont buet more fixed chains is an excellent alpine walk, it may be a bit long if it's not your thing.
 kevnet 27 Aug 2015
In reply to MrJared:

The walk up Mont buet isnt bad, just a long day on the legs, if the weather is clear the views are great
mart 27 Aug 2015
In reply to MrJared:

I would say it is well worth it - if you have previous experience of alpine peaks then the going shouldn't be too bad. I did it last year and the views were amazing. Check conditions though, a couple of days later it was plastered in snow, so crampons may be needed. I see the route as being three distinct parts. Firstly an easy walk of the valley with minimal climb and stunning scenery to get to the hut. Some stay the night, I don't think it is necessary. The second part, after a bit of a steep pull, crosses a boulder field which is well marked, but could be tricky in poor visibility; this leads to a col. The final part is the toughest, a very steep slog up the screes, before an easy rise to the summit. Each section took me about an hour and a half, although I do go pretty quickly - an early start is recommended.

As someone has already mentioned, the alternative route up the ridge using cables is supposed to be fantastic, although I believe two days are needed.
 jcw 27 Aug 2015
In reply to MrJared:
I don't know about this new route, but frankly if you want to stay hitched I wouldn't take her up the standard route on the Buet. To make it tolerable you could stay at the hut en route which is reasonably bucolic.
altirando 28 Aug 2015
In reply to jcw:

Remember walking along the ridge to Buet, small rock step to go up, woman of a certain age descending, got stuck halfway down, started screaming Vertige, vertige. Have to admit I suddenly found another way to go. Did see her eventually from a distance further on down the hill. If I had gone to her aid and she had slipped she would have flattened me.......
 alastairbegley 28 Aug 2015
In reply to MrJared:

I did this to acclimatise a few years ago, over two days it was enjoyable and the views from the top were excellent. We walked up via the refuge and bivied. The next day we crossed the mountain and descended the other side which made for quite a long day. http://mp-m.uk/xndBG

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...