UKC

Verdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pat 2679 27 Aug 2015
Just wondering has anyone gone to climb in Verdon Gorge In late October, early November. According to the Rockfax guidebook temperatures will only reach a max of 11 degree's.

The recommendation is to climb during this period but I'm a bit worried about the low temperatures.

Any feedback appreciated.
 james.slater 27 Aug 2015
In reply to pat 2679:

I climbed there in September a couple of years ago and it was starting to cool down. The middle of the day was generally still blazing hot, but was surprisingly chilly in the evenings and mornings. Based on this I would say prepare for cold but when your climbing you will be fine!
mart 27 Aug 2015
In reply to pat 2679:

This probably won't help, but I have just got back from Verdon, and in the space of a day the temperature dropped from 38 degrees to 14 degrees. So pretty much expect anything!
troglodyte 27 Aug 2015
In reply to pat 2679:

In 2011 we thought we'd missed our chance for Verdon, but ended up having about a week of great, sunny climbing in mid November.

It was crisp, but we were climbing on the south faces and it was perfect.

YMMV - I can imagine with a bit of cloud, drizzle and wind it could be pretty miserable in Nov
 Somerville 27 Aug 2015
In reply to pat 2679:

if you need anyone to climb with, hit me up.
 annak 29 Aug 2015
In reply to pat 2679:

I was there mid november 2 years ago. I thought the temperature was perfect, but I don't ever like the heat. Jumper on for belay, climbing in the sunshine in a long-sleeved top.

The place was pretty much deserted though, and the guesthouses etc were all closed (we were camping so it was ok).
 seankenny 29 Aug 2015
In reply to pat 2679:

I was there once at the very end of October. Camping was baltic, temps well below zero at night and it got dark early, but days were splendid. There was usually a big cloud inversion when we arrived at the Gorge but that soon burnt off and cragging in the sun was just right.

It compared well to two trips I've done in the spring, which were cold and damp.
pat 2679 01 Sep 2015
In reply to seankenny:

Thanks for the feedback, going to switch to Siurana in Spain looks to be a safer option at that time of year.
Will head to Verdon next summer when temps are a little more inviting.
pat 2679 01 Sep 2015
In reply to annak: Cheers, gonna hold off until next summer when its in season.
pat 2679 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Somerville:

Cheers
pat 2679 01 Sep 2015
In reply to james.slater: Thanks for the feedback, it could be fine but its a risk so going to switch to Siurana in Spain looks to be a safer option at that time of year.
Will head to Verdon next summer when temps are a little more stable.
pat 2679 01 Sep 2015
In reply to mart: Thanks helped me make the right decision, going to spain now instead
pat 2679 01 Sep 2015
In reply to annak:

Thanks for the feedback
pat 2679 01 Sep 2015
In reply to troglodyte: Thanks for feedback, gonna hold until next summer. Will be worth the wait.
In reply to pat 2679:

Do you have someone to climb with pat2679?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...