UKC

Dolomites - Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 farmus21 27 Aug 2015

Hello all,

Anbody got some up to date conditions to report for the Dolomites? I'm heading out on Saturday (29th) to run the AV2 between Brixen and Trento (ish) and was wondering what conditions on the ground were like. The forecast suggests back to warm and sunny after last week's storms but I wanted to check whether microspikes would be necessary on some of the higher passes etc? How is the Forcella della Marmolada route looking? Do I need to bother with a fleece layer? All these questions and more.

TIA,

James
Post edited at 21:28
 Somerville 27 Aug 2015
In reply to farmus21:

raining for around three days i think as of tomorrow (28th), temp will feel around the high teens, im climbing and in the shade ill be wearing a fleece because of the altitude. 2000m+ (so marmolada etc) obviously its going to be colder.

did a VF on punta anna topping out at around 3000m, i recon the temp was around 10 degree without wind.

Take this with a pinch of salt, it is bound to change

good luck.
 Null 28 Aug 2015
In reply to farmus21:

Weather forecast good till next Wednesday. I was up high all last week and it was cold in the early morning and mild to warm during the day. Now it should be a bit hotter - thawing daytime and maybe a touch of frost at night. Conditions are generally dry and snow free except on glaciers (obviously).
I would have thought carrying something reasonably "warm" and windproof would be obligatory if you are going anywhere near 3000 m and near glaciers, where even a breeze can be stunningly cold.
Not sure about spikes, not being a runner.
OP farmus21 28 Aug 2015
In reply all:

Thanks guys, I am carrying some warm layers so I should be ok. I'd rather carry it an be warm than not and be cold! snow-free sounds good, I'll ditch the spikes.

Fingers crossed the weather is for the better as I was hoping for the odd view.

Any more info in the meantime greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

James

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...