UKC

From sport to TV - 3 of the best

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 27 Aug 2015
Been following the athletics from Beijing & really appreciating the insight & intelligence of Michael Johnson
He, along with McEnroe and Gary Neville surely must represent the very best of those who've turned from participating to commentating.
Any better offers?
 goldmember 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:
Martin Brudle
Stephen Hendry
Peter Allis

All three are at the same level as yours
Post edited at 22:59
 balmybaldwin 27 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

I really like Marianne Vos on cycling and David Millar is getting there his insight is very good, just hasn't nailed delivery
OP Greenbanks 28 Aug 2015
In reply to goldmember:

I ought maybe to have indicated that I was after sportsmen/women who have been to the very top of their sport

Of yours, Hendry yes, but the other two no (Alliss no Majors and Brundle no F1 championship)
In reply to Greenbanks:

Steve Backley as the commentator on the field events is pretty good too. Seems to have made the effort to gen up on all the field events and not just the throws.

Though Michael Johnson is excellent. Almost glad the US TV doesn't give a shit about 'track and field' as it means we can have him
 Pedro50 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Peter Alliss in his day was just as near the top of his sport as say Gary Neville was.
Agree with most of the suggestions above. What annoys me is that the BBC seem often to have little discernment of who is actually up to the job. The one day guest pundits on the athletics have been mostly poor
In reply to Pedro50:
Disagree about Gary v Alliss (football equivalent of a Major is the main European trophy for example).
But agree that some pundits are dire - and how Denise Lewis has been kept on post-Olympics is beyond me
 Pedro50 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Yes sadly I agree about Denise (better than Sally Gunnell used to be though!).
Peter Alliss was one the best English golfers of his generation, in two winning Ryder cup teams and winner of numerous tournaments. He was certainly there or thereabouts.
 Postmanpat 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

> But agree that some pundits are dire - and how Denise Lewis has been kept on post-Olympics is beyond me

I think she is kept on as a "Mother Hen" character.

goldmember 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Brundle won Le Mans in 90's

Chris Boardman is great too
 Yanis Nayu 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Michael Johnson is awesome. Martin Brundle gave great insight in F1. David Millar is really insightful in cycling, but I can't keep up with his thought processes.

Agree with the comments about Denise Lewis unfortunately. I've met her a couple of times and she's really lovely, but she really struggles to articulate her thoughts. I think she tries to hard to be eloquent. Colin Jackson is similar, to a lesser extent. They should give Will Sharman a go I reckon.
In reply to Greenbanks:
I wondered about anyone from RU, given the upcoming World Cup
 felt 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Clarence Seedorf
Martin Keown (yes!)
Blowers (not telly)
Wiley Coyote2 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Danny Murphy. You feel you are getting a lot of down-to-earth, this-is-how-it-really-is professional insights without a lot of waffle
 felt 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Yes, good call.

On which note, Henman is as underrated a pundit as he was -- by many -- a player. Not overkeen on Boris, but I reckon Andy would be good value, in the Murphy mould.
 tony 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

> I wondered about anyone from RU, given the upcoming World Cup

Eddie Butler, Brian Moore and Ian Robertson are pretty excellent, although Ian Robertson is now of an age where his own experience as an international is a bit less relevant.
 tony 28 Aug 2015

> Danny Murphy. You feel you are getting a lot of down-to-earth, this-is-how-it-really-is professional insights without a lot of waffle

Danny Murphy is terrible. He's one of 5live's collection of tame idiots.
Wiley Coyote2 28 Aug 2015
In reply to tony:

> Danny Murphy is terrible. He's one of 5live's collection of tame idiots.

Must be why I like him. A man on my intellectual level
In reply to tony:
I'm afraid I find Robertson far too shouty. I like Steve Cram in athletics though
Danny Mills gets mixed press - some of my mates really get irked by him
 eltankos 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

I like David Coulthard, he gives good insights to what the F1 drivers are doing. However, I sometimes feel he's holding back and being a bit too diplomatic about some things.
 Lemony 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Ed Smith (3 tests for england) is on the wireless rather than TV but he's one of the finest commentator/pundits around at the moment.
 goldmember 28 Aug 2015

Should try Stan Collymore on talkshite
 Postmanpat 28 Aug 2015
In reply to tony:

> Eddie Butler, Brian Moore and Ian Robertson are pretty excellent, although Ian Robertson is now of an age where his own experience as an international is a bit less relevant.

Eddie Butler is appalling. He can now usually identify the team with the ball correctly but still struggles with the names of the players. All that faux romantic crap about Agincourt and Bannockburn blah blah sums up what is wrong with BBC sports coverage. Moore and Robertson are good but generally prefer Barnes and Greenwood.
In reply to goldmember:

Now now. He's make a good pundit on Crufts though
 Bob 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

No names to add but a question. How come the BBC have Michael Johnson and John McEnroe as commentators/pundits? Why haven't the US broadcasters taken them on?

I have heard (but no confirmation) that it's because they are too outspoken for the US market.
 malk 28 Aug 2015
In reply to eltankos:

James Hunt - good insights and didn't hold back..
In reply to Bob:

Maybe also the low-profile of Track & Field in US, in the case of Johnson? Also might be something to do with the perceived status of BBC in international terms & therefore the kudos of working for them?
 tony 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob:

> No names to add but a question. How come the BBC have Michael Johnson and John McEnroe as commentators/pundits? Why haven't the US broadcasters taken them on?

> I have heard (but no confirmation) that it's because they are too outspoken for the US market.

John McEnroe commentates for ESPN. It's not unusual for commentators and pundits to work for more than one network.

I suspect in Michael Johnson's case it's down to the fact that the BBC takes athletics more seriously than American networks. I know he spoken very positively about it in the past.
 Mike Highbury 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Pedro50:

> Peter Alliss in his day was just as near the top of his sport....

And turned down a gong, apparently.

Which is as noteworthy as it is bloody surprising.

The New NickB 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> And turned down a gong, apparently.

> Which is as noteworthy as it is bloody surprising.

Must be almost unheard of in a sport as conservative and establishment as golf.

In reply to Greenbanks:

Does Johnson do some work for the US networks (NBC?) during the Olympics? It's the only time the American public are interested in Athletics, like the British public, but more so.
In reply to Greenbanks:

Some credible candidates are significantly disadvantaged however because of their accent or mannerisms - Jamie Carragher & Willie Carson for example
 Bob Hughes 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Any better offers?

Geoff Boycott, surely!

In reply to Bob Hughes:

Yes - of course...somewhat rehabilitated, though still un-reconstructed I suspect! Tells us straight. Shane Warne too maybe?
 BnB 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob Hughes:

> Geoff Boycott, surely!

More of a one man show than a commentator!!
 Bob 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Bob Hughes:

He did spring to mind: "My grandma cud bat better than this lot!"
 Fredt 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Pedro50:

> Peter Alliss was one the best English golfers of his generation, in two winning Ryder cup teams and winner of numerous tournaments. He was certainly there or thereabouts.

but as a commentator he is a racist misogynistic c**t.

Fredt 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Richie Benaud
Allan McNish
James Hunt

In reply to Fredt:

> but as a commentator he is a racist misogynistic c**t.

I think Steve Cram may be winning the prize for racist of the week.
 Bob Hughes 28 Aug 2015

what's he said?

> I think Steve Cram may be winning the prize for racist of the week.

I missed that - what went on?
In reply to Bob Hughes:
> what's he said?

He was a glorious tit over the Kenyan positives.

Not their fault, couldn't be, they're just young innocents from the bush.

Pedro50 28 Aug 2015

Crammy did actually say that many of them were naive and mislead
 Postmanpat 28 Aug 2015

> He was a glorious tit over the Kenyan positives.

> Not their fault, couldn't be, they're just young innocents from the bush.

When did he say that? In the BBC interview with Gabby Logan he didn't use those words or anything similar. Presumably you've spent a lot of time in Kenya like him so have a better understanding of the drugs issue in Kenya?
 mudmonkey 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Pedro50:

Is that racist then?
In reply to Postmanpat:

Cram has been taking a lot of flack this week, not least from Renaldo Neyomia (sp.) Gatlin's agent, I think if he had said anything that could when loosely interpreted as racist, they would be on to it, quick smart.
In reply to Fredt:

> but as a commentator he is a racist misogynistic c**t.

I don't like, so don't follow golf, but I was told that he was startling right wing, in the the context of golf!
 JJL 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

At the other end of the spectrum, the dream team of
Paul Gasgoine and
Denise Lewis
 JJL 28 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

At the other end of the spectrum, the dream team of
Paul Gasgoine and
Denise Lewis
Removed User 29 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

not a sporting event, but surely the best commentary ever committed to tape- youtube.com/watch?v=-hYIGte7fBs&
 robandian 29 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

More votes for Michael Johson, John McEnroe, Gary Neville and definitely Martin Keown (how anyone who played like he did can articulate so well is beyond me !) Chris Boardman is brilliant for cycling - unfortunately the best of all from rugby union is no longer with us ("and the whole of Scotland" miss him!)
 sbc_10 29 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Aren't people missing the obvious pro-turned-commentator who says it as it is with a deft nuance.......
Bobby George.

("King of Darts" to all you plebs who do not know the wise one)
OP Greenbanks 29 Aug 2015
In reply to sbc_10:

I will not be drawn into debating whether "darts" constitutes a sport
😊
 sbc_10 29 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

Well....cough! <ahem>..... Formula 1.... but you are right....this is not the time.
Remember “Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana”.......
 Roadrunner5 29 Aug 2015
In reply to Greenbanks:

I like listening to Scholes, very no-nonsense.

Henry has been surprisingly poor so far because he generally comes across as an intelligent guy but i don't rate his analysis of games at all.

However I also rate Carragher, I think him and Neville have brought football commentating on another level.

From other Sports I like Moore but he's understandably biased and commentates as a fan a bit too much. I really dislike Foster.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...