UKC

mexico

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 30 Aug 2015
Is mexico a worthwhile destination for the vs/ french grade 5c climber? Where would you recommend? Thanks
 pec 30 Aug 2015
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:
Have a look through here for the area you're likely to be in and see if you can find any crags. The ones in blue type are clickable for more detailed info, including topos in some cases (blue type at the bottom of the page).
http://www.xpmexico.com/index.php?module=xprock
Post edited at 21:58
 Aigen 31 Aug 2015

I went for a month too El Potrero Chico . I did not like it. The limestone is very lose not like European limestone. But everyone too their own I guess.
 rpc 31 Aug 2015
El Potrero Chico is bulletproof compared to say the Dolomites or Yamnuska in Canada. Most routes are very tightly bolted. French 5c is ~5.9 YDS (the grades seem pretty friendly there so 5.10a/b should also be doable). I think there is about a week’s worth of stuff to climb at that grade (probably a bit more if you’re interested in single pitch routes also). We’ve done about 4 trips to EPC & one road trip through central MX. For 5c grades, I’d fly into Monterrey and spend some time in EPC. Then drive down south towards Mexico City (logistics are easier driving out of Monterrey airport vs. Mexico City). Two other destinations that I’d highly recommend are Pena de Bernal in the state of Queretaro (a few 8ish pitch lines to the summit of a large monolith; easiest is Bernalina at 5.8 YDS) and Parque Nacional El Chico in the state of Hidalgo (multi-pitch lines on some towers composed of conglomerate rock). Climbing is good at both places (first-hand experience at those is admittedly limited to 2 routes each) but the setting of the post-card perfect Mexico (not in EPC…area is more blue collar than charming) really makes for a memorable package. Contact me if you want more details.
Post edited at 18:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...