UKC

McKinley to be renamed Denali

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 30 Aug 2015
I've only been there twice on trips and always called it Denali after being told by a native that was the proper name.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/parks-service-does-not-object-bill-rena...

https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/l/loewen-lies.html
 ben b 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Denni:

I wasn't aware anyone was calling it McKinley these days - thought it had been renamed 10-20 years ago. Maybe different within the US but everything I had read about the hill for the last decade or so was Denali, and some way back further e.g John Barry in the 80s.

Maybe we are all very culturally aware after all

b
 AlanLittle 31 Aug 2015
In reply to ben b:

I also thought "McKinley" dropped out of use decades ago
 Billhook 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Denni:

I too thought the name had changed some time ago but I think that in the USA you need to take things through their government legislation process to 'officially' change a name.

Unlike the UK where name changes are a bit more 'organic'.

The USA has a long history of changing various names on maps, such as Squaw peak, Whorehouse Meadow, Nigger Point, (the latter changing its name at least twice - it was changed to Negro Point in the 60's and now is called Graves Point)

Interesting read on the subject of renaming in the USA is: From Squaw Tit to Whorehouse Meadow, by Mark Monmonier, 2006
 goose299 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Denni:

Always thought it was Denali now too

Similar thing with Ayers Rock and Uluru. Everyone has gone back to the native name
 Mikkel 31 Aug 2015
In reply to goose299:

They got a lot of names to change if they want to revert all back to the native names.
 Dell 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Mikkel:

Scafell Pike is to be renamed as 'Ug'
 Doug 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Dell:

& what's the highest summit in Wales called ?
Clauso 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Doug:

> & what's the highest summit in Wales called ?

Crowded.
 Dell 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Doug:
Taff
Post edited at 14:43
 Roadrunner5 31 Aug 2015
In reply to goose299:

It is, I've never heard anyone use McKinley. It just needed officially changing, and Obama has been doing this, things he sees which are obviously wrong he changes.

I saw this comment on FB from a republican on this change...

"Typical Democrat, always blaming someone else. Sounds like the piece of crap that is our President, Barack Obama the Muslim"

I dont think everything needs changing, just the main things like this, especially where one name is now used.

the big one is the Redskins, that's still rumbling on..
 Steve Perry 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Doug:

> & what's the highest summit in Wales called ?

Mount Snowdon
 panz 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Denni:

Sagarmatcha

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...