UKC

How things escalate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I was out with my wife and six year old daughter in the local woods just now on the last leg of a pleasant walk with the dog. He's a big three year old choccy lab. Mild mannered, playful, a little naughty but very gentle and without an aggressive bone in his body towards anyone or anything else he will approach and play with any other dogs without a single hesitation.

He was on his lead and we were approaching a crossroads in the wood when out from the side came a group of women with their children and a smallish dog, off lead, probably the size of a large jack russell.

The kids noticed the dog before the mothers and he walked up to my dog and it instantly grabbed my dog by the throat and locked on with my dog yelping and swinging it around whilst my wife was struggling with the lead. Ive never seen anything like this before and fight or flight kicked in and my instincts kicked in and the only thing that i could do was boot the dog with my big walking boots and it let go. Shortly after the women caught up and grabbed their pooch.

They started shouting and made some half baked excuse for what it did and I argued with them; probably not wise. My wife, a pacifist, stood on watching. The abuse and aggression which followed towards me and my wife is quite frankly, unprintable. They had about 5-7 kids there too and i had my six year old girl. Im still shocked at what they were saying in front of their children. It was horrible and we are all left shaking and my daughter is still scared. She says she doesnt want to go out on dog walks any more.

I wish i had kept my trap shut.

Some people are just hideous although i should have walked away.
Post edited at 15:44
 Trangia 31 Aug 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I know it's not much consolation, but they were definitely in the wrong for not having their dog under control, and the reason for their aggression was because they knew they were in the wrong.

I had a similar incident when an off the leash dog was jumping up on me and my gf in some woods. I shouted at the owner to put her dog on the lead, but all I got was a string of abuse and foul swearing from her.

Funnily enough I have met her and her dog in the woods since. It's always on the lead now and she gives me a sheepish "Good afternoon" !
 Run_Ross_Run 31 Aug 2015

I would have done the same as you and booted the dog.

It's not acceptable for dog owners to have the animals off leads in public places. I should imagine they'll think twice about it now.
 JayPee630 31 Aug 2015

Sorry that happened, it sounds horrible. Think you did as well as possible really. Humanity can be f*cking horrible sometimes.

Roadrunner5 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> I would have done the same as you and booted the dog.

> It's not acceptable for dog owners to have the animals off leads in public places. I should imagine they'll think twice about it now.

its fine.. its more important to have the dog under control. In a woods it would be perfectly acceptable to have a well behaved dog running off the lead. The law is quite clear on that.

Trangia 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> its fine.. its more important to have the dog under control. In a woods it would be perfectly acceptable to have a well behaved dog running off the lead. The law is quite clear on that.

It depends on the interpretation of what "under control" means. I've been menaced by large frightening looking dogs bounding towards me barking. It's all very well the owner saying afterwards "Oh, he/she won't hurt you" I don't know that when it's looking all aggressive. If a dog's attitude is enough to frighten other people then I think it should be on the lead.
 zebidee 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> I would have done the same as you and booted the dog.

I'd have done exactly the same.

I remember seeing one of these open floor discussion things they have on morning telly where they were talking about "dangerous dogs" ... they had a guy from the RSPCA on and they asked him what you should do if you were attacked by a dog.

His response was - if it jumps up at you, try to catch it by the paws and then yank them apart to crack its rib-cage open. Alternatively, if it has grabbed you with its jaws then rotate it round and crush its ribcage with your knees.

There was much shock from the studio audience, but his point was that you have to assume that the dog is going to try to kill you and to kill it first.
 Roadrunner5 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Then its not under control.
 wintertree 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Then its not under control.

A common thread it would seem, and one that I too have had to resolve with a boot, is that the owner's definition of "in control" is not the same as that of the person on the receiving end of Fido/Mungo/Bobbins.

I once got a large barrage of verbal abuse from a woman because I told her dog "Down" in a commanding voice when it went for my lunch. "How dare you speak to my little bobbins like that?" said the feckless owner after calming down. "Would you rather I put it off my food with my voice or my boot?" said I. Sadly I don't think it sunk through the owners addled skull that they were totally and utterly the party at fault. How can I tell? Because their retort was "well you shouldn't have been eating your sandwich in sight of my dog". (On a public bench on a public footpath...)

To the OP: Sucks, majorly. I'd write down the sequence of events in great detail, it may be cathartic and will stop your brain churning over it. Also, it'll help if you decide to report the owners to the police and/or the council dog warden for being a menace. You never know, yours may be the report that tips them into "having a word."
Post edited at 17:00
 wercat 31 Aug 2015
In reply to wintertree:

indeed,

the first I knew of a dog on Helvellyn coming anywhere near me on a very cold and windy day a few years back was being bitten in the leg from behind. I was walking, not running. "He's never done that before - he always behaves himself" - it changed my opinion of dogs as I'd done nothing to provoke or excite it and the first time I was ever attacked by a dog - but now I know they do attack strangers.

So I take anyone's opinion of their own dog being under control as a pinch of salt now.
Wiley Coyote2 31 Aug 2015

Probably the simplest way to get rid of them would be take out your phone start dialling 999 and say something like: "Let's get the police and see if they think a dangerous dog that attacks at random it should be put down"
 johncook 31 Aug 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I have seen this happen on Stanage in the last few days. A small dog on a lead was held in the jaws of a sheep dog type, (belonging to climbers) which had been running around for a while. When I booted the dog (hurts like buggery in rock shoes!) I was aggressively told that my actions were uncalled for as 'the dog was only playing'. Told them that it played rough and so did I. Even without the teeth involved, sheep don't regard any dog as 'playing'. They appeared appalled when I told them it should be on a lead, and under control. Why should their dog 'have to suffer being on a lead in open country'. I gave up at this point and walked away as they were getting very aggressive. I suspect that they were also the small group that left a lot of finger tape and sarnie wrappers where they had been sitting.
I love animals, and think that most animal owners are cruel for keeping an animal badly. this poor dog, if only playing , was seeking attention, as a result of them leaving it at the bottom of the crag while they were out of sight of it.

zebidee 31 Aug 2015
In reply to johncook:
> Why should their dog 'have to suffer being on a lead in open country'.

Because being shot by a farmer often causes a tad more suffering
Post edited at 20:52
Rigid Raider 31 Aug 2015
In reply to wercat:

Same story here - got a bite on the thigh from an over-excited collie while out on the bike. I threw the bike down and turned on it screaming blue murder; the last thing I saw it was scampering away looking over its soulder at me with an "oh shit" expression. The owner warbled: "Has my dog bitten you?"
 BazVee 31 Aug 2015
In reply to zebidee:
> Because being shot by a farmer often causes a tad more suffering

Farmer friends of ours have just lost 4 sheep due to the actions of some mindless dog walker who let a dog off when they obviously weren't in control of it. I know he would have blasted the dog to kingdom come if he had caught it and frankly I don't blame him, I'd have done the same. Cost him a lot of time, money and has also resulted in a number of sheep not producing lambs this year, must have been terrorised.

Otherwise my other bad experience of out of control dogs have usually been whilst cycling of road ... one occasion a bloke who looked like he had just come out of a country magazine, suggested I should have got off and walked when his dogs went round and were heading for us the second time having already jumped up and nearly knocked me off on their first time round ... that ended up with him squaring up to my mate who nearly came to blows. No control over his dogs what so ever.

Some dog owners really don't help themselves and believe it is fine for their dogs to run wild/out of any real control. The problem is no one is required to attend any training and their selfishness, the owners that is.

For the OP if someone's dog had attacked my dog if necessary I'd have done the same.
Post edited at 21:42
 toad 31 Aug 2015

You're Newark way, aren't you. Can I ask which woods you were in (Stapleford?). PM if you like, vague professional interest.
 ScottTalbot 31 Aug 2015
I've booted a few local dogs that have been off the lead. They always seem to go for mine (who is on a lead)! I've had some dirty looks, but no one's actually said anything to me as yet, which is probably just as well... If I'm annoyed enough to kick a dog, the owners not too far from getting the same.
 Greasy Prusiks 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Trangia:

Addressed to Trangia but also the other people who've had bad experiences with dogs-

I think most dogs these days are not under control, basically because having a dog is seen as part of the 'ideal family' image hence they're not owned by skilled handlers. I've had similar experience to many that have been mentioned and it can be scary.

My number 1 rule for my dog is this- if I am not 100% certain I can bring it to heel at a moments notice it goes back on the lead. If you can't do that then it's out of control.
In reply to toad:

Yes, it was Stapleford.
 Roadrunner5 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

>

> I think most dogs these days are not under control, basically because having a dog is seen as part of the 'ideal family' image hence they're not owned by skilled handlers. I've had similar experience to many that have been mentioned and it can be scary.

Thing is you wont notice dogs in control... you won't notice those people who walk their dogs away from the crowds..
 Bimble 01 Sep 2015

My collie got attacked by a Staffie a couple of years ago whilst being walked by my mother, and once they'd dragged it off & stopped it savaging mine, the owner (tracksuited chav scum) picked up the dog and legged it, leaving mum in the woods 3 miles from anywhere with a bleeding collie that was screaming in agony and a now-frantic spaniel.
The same Staffie has done the same to another collie since, tearing a lump out of its throat (only stopped by the collie owner kicking Staffie in the face very hard) and with the same reaction afterwards from the oik walking it.

Some people really do need to take responsibility for their dogs, and if that means putting the boot in to stop it then so be it.
 ByEek 01 Sep 2015

> They started shouting and made some half baked excuse for what it did and I argued with them; probably not wise. My wife, a pacifist, stood on watching. The abuse and aggression which followed towards me and my wife is quite frankly, unprintable. They had about 5-7 kids there too and i had my six year old girl. Im still shocked at what they were saying in front of their children. It was horrible and we are all left shaking and my daughter is still scared. She says she doesnt want to go out on dog walks any more.

Yep. Same happened to me. A woman at the park was letting her juvenile alsatian run around our local skate park. When I pointed out the "No dogs allowed signs" she started ranting and raving and when it ran in front of my four year old son causing him to knock it, she started ranting and raving at him until he started crying. She must feel really proud of herself. And she had a youngish daughter in tow.

It is all rather sad.
 Timmd 01 Sep 2015
It can be surprising how easily & quickly some people can become nasty even when it's their fault.
Post edited at 11:35
 toad 01 Sep 2015

> Yes, it was Stapleford.

Ah, ok. forestry Commission, as I remember. Not a site I've had anything to do with. Some of the other bits of open space round there (like Beacon Hill) I could flag up a problem with the warden.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...