UKC

Extreme Fatigue Accompanying A Tooth Infection

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 31 Aug 2015
Hi all,

A 'surrogate relative' is very poorly at the moment, having gone from being lively enough to go to the gym to being very tired and washed out a month later.

She has numbness and pain in her mouth, which it turns out is due to a rotting tooth & infection, and is having an MRI to see what else might be going on later this week.

Has anybody experienced anything like this, and had it turn out to be just down to something tooth related, or known of anybody who has?

Many thanks.

Tim
 DancingOnRock 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Yes. Depending on how much Gym training they do they could be overtraining which would open them to infections.

I had a tooth infection and it wiped me out. There's some horrendous antibiotics, begin with M, that might be subscribed.

Stay away from alcohol if they're subscribed - it'll make them much worse.
 Yanis Nayu 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Timmd:

A tooth infection made me feel really tired and ill.
 DancingOnRock 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Metronidazole
OP Timmd 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Was it to the degree of not really feeling like walking anywhere (or there abouts)?
Post edited at 19:22
 Yanis Nayu 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Timmd:

And then some.
OP Timmd 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Interesting, thanks. I think some people are wondering if there's something more sinister lurking which is causing the tiredness, but if a tooth infection can make people feel as tired as that, that's something quite hopeful. Her husband's described her has not really being able to walk.
Post edited at 19:26
 Yanis Nayu 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Hopefully it'll just be that. Certainly made me feel really ill. Best wishes.
OP Timmd 31 Aug 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Thanks, yes, fingers crossed and all that.
Post edited at 19:31
 wercat 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:
Ear and sinus infections can do just that as well, so that's something to watch out for in someone who has become completely run down with something else. Can make you feel as if you've lost the will to live
Post edited at 08:19
 The New NickB 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I had an infected tooth last year, after a fair amount of pain I had it taken out. About 24 hours later I started feeling hot and a bit sick, next thing I knew I was waking up on the floor with bang on my head and a crowd around me. Someone called an ambulance, I seemed like I was OK, but as I was being checked over I passed out again. Anyway, spent the afternoon in the hospital being checked over, blood test showed an infection. I was just instructed to take it easy for a few days and I was fine, but good to get checked out.
 Dave Garnett 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> A 'surrogate relative' is very poorly at the moment, having gone from being lively enough to go to the gym to being very tired and washed out a month later.

> She has numbness and pain in her mouth, which it turns out is due to a rotting tooth & infection, and is having an MRI to see what else might be going on later this week.

It's quite unusual for something like this to happen without warning though. Almost always dental infections like this start with days of increasing local pain before they turn nasty. Feeling generally unwell and tired (and having a raised temperature) is a sign that the infection is becoming systemic and something needs to be done pretty urgently, but it really doesn't need to get to this point before you do something about it. Having a rotting tooth might be a clue...

OP Timmd 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> It's quite unusual for something like this to happen without warning though. Almost always dental infections like this start with days of increasing local pain before they turn nasty. Feeling generally unwell and tired (and having a raised temperature) is a sign that the infection is becoming systemic and something needs to be done pretty urgently, but it really doesn't need to get to this point before you do something about it. Having a rotting tooth might be a clue...

She's generally somebody who doesn't do being ill and gets on with things, as it were, so had just had fluctuating energy for a while before the pain and numbness developed and she was (to other people) obviously not right health wise, I dare say she filtered out any low level pain, or wasn't aware of it.
 deacondeacon 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I had toothache which led to flu-like symptoms about four years ago. It led to a heart infection followed by a heart valve transplant.
It's unlikely that it's serious but it is possible, and defo worth taking the MRI scan seriously.
 Shani 01 Sep 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:

Jeez - that is terrible!
ultrabumbly 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I had to have a tooth removed a little while back and I got a "dry socket" infection about a week later. It hadn't caused me any pain as that side of my face is pretty much numb after a facial injury(and the cause of the tooth problem) some time ago. I don't think the infection made me feel more than slightly unwell but the antibiotics (Metronidazole as mentioned above) made me feel like crap for a good two weeks and my usually cast iron digestion seems to be taking forever to get back to normal.

The other people who have mentioned having strongish antibiotics for such things, is there any merit in the whole pro biotic thing or is it just quack science? I still feel a bit "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" whereas I would rather be humming the dam busters theme.
cb294 01 Sep 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Lactobacilli and yeast can help your gut microbiome recover after extensive antibiotic treatment. Fresh yoghurt can do the job just as well.

If this doesn´t help you can even buy (or be prescribed) pills containing bacterial cultures containing a special E. coli strain. This was isolated from a guy who was the sole survivor when the rest of his unit died from typhoid fever in a WWI field hospital, and has been cultured ever since.

Helped my wife recover after a month long course of IV antibiotics after she fell ill following the birth of our first daughter.

CB
 wercat 01 Sep 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:
yes indeed. Antibiotics often mention the risk of thrush type infections and bowel upset after a course. I haven't had antibiotics too often in the last years but I have definitely tried the probiotics afterwards, and at other times have had benefit from them when problems have ocurred, generally when I get a bit run down. Don't think it's a placebo effect as they sometimes seem to make things less comfortable before a general improvement. Definitely have a tendency to oral thrush after taking antibiotics and natural yoghurt helps with that, much underrated food! Full fat also gives the brain the message it's been fed and stops food craving for rubbish!

btw it's been the capsules of bacilli eaten with natural yoghurt I've tried rather than the much advertised products.
Post edited at 13:03
 hamsforlegs 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

I currently have a mild sinus infection that has spread to cause inflammation of the gum on my right side. I've had it before - really very painful (but not actually all that serious in the grand scheme of things).

The wooziness, tiredness and feeling of being washed out are probably more of a bother than the pain. I can imagine a more serious infection leaving someone reeling.
 Neil Williams 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Yes, I have - for quite a number of years before the reason was discovered. Your body is fighting an infection!

Neil
 deacondeacon 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Shani:
Not really. Back to normal now
 RomTheBear 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:
Yep, compeltely possible, had the same happening to me. She needs the tooth taken out or treated if possible, and possibly antibiotics.
Post edited at 20:11
OP Timmd 01 Sep 2015
In reply to RomTheBear:
I think both are probably happening hopefully.
Post edited at 20:22
 Dave Garnett 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I think both are probably happening hopefully.

I hope so too. Obviously we've made massive advances in treating this kind of thing in the last 50 years but it does need people to admit there's a problem and seek treatment! I'm often staggered by what people are prepared to tolerate rather than visit a dentist.

If you want to know how it used to be when we didn't have such treatment (especially antibiotics) available and people ignored dental infections try googling rheumatic fever, bacterial endocarditis (see deacondeacon's posts), cavernous sinus thrombosis and osteomyelitis.

Neil Williams 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

And mucking with your immune system generally. I'm convinced a silent abscess (painless) I had for about 10 years without really knowing about it (other than declining health) has caused me to gain a load of annoying allergies.
Jimbo W 05 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Absolutely yes. Any abscess, like any deep set infection, can make you feel exhausted, and may also give you swinging fevers, nausea, general malaise, not to mention pain. Because of the gradual onset of much caries, we seem to somehow get mildly desensitised to the pain. But abscesses are usually very painful indeed.

Ignoring pain in the mouth is a bad idea. As Dave Garnett rightly says, ignoring infections, and dental infections can have serious consequences, if losing your teeth wasn't bad enough, but the classic is secondary valvular heart disease, which can kill quickly, and there is always a risk of sepsis (active bacterial infection/proliferating bacteria in the blood). Its those secondary problems that make me nervous everytime GPs are told to use less antibiotics.

As for probiotics, I don't know what the evidence is. I do know that antibiotics do alter bowel flora. I also know that faecal transplants work in C Difficile infection, and appear to have positive effects in a number of other conditions. I doubt it would do much harm, but I suspect some if the E coli strains may be more value than consuming lots of lactobacilli.

On a personal note, I had a recurrent pericoronitis around a partially emerged wisdom tooth which was a bit sore but made feel shit including tired. On one occasion I got prescribed metronidazole which sorted the infection fast unlike the multiple times I'd tried to ignore it or brush harder etc. However while taking it I had a catastrophic and rapid drop in mood and onset of depression and OCD like symptoms. I stopped the metronidazole before finishing the course but it didn't improve, which was the start of a long hard journey, which I'm still not at the end of 9yrs later. For the record, life at that time otherwise couldn't have been better. I've always suspected given the lack of reversal that the cause of rapid mood change might have had to do with alteration in bowel flora. I did try probiotics yogurt but this was before E coli supplements etc appeared. There's no particular evidence here, but something odd happened to me.
PamPam 06 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Yeah. I ended up with a dead tooth after an infection and a reaction to a filling destroyed the nerve inside it, first I knew of it was only what I can describe as finding a spot on my gum by the tooth and as soon as I found it I went to the dentist - I had to wait months for a root canal during which the infection got worse as somebody thought that as I wasn't in pain I wasn't a priority and even telling the receptionist that having pus filled gums is not healthy and the dentists would be concerned to hear that she was turning away a patient because she thought my situation wasn't bad and she was in no way qualified to make such a judgement. I ended up with a mild headache most of the time and felt a bit lousy so that led to an emergency root canal because I was so pissed off with it and worried about the damage being done to basically just get rid of the crap inside the tooth (That was fun!) and cap it over until I could get the root canal done properly. I felt better in a couple of days but I was fuming that it took so long to sort out and by that point I was tempted to get the dentist to just pull the tooth. Lucky I'm young, fit and healthy but the final root canal was awful as my jaw was swollen up for a week.
 Neil Williams 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Jimbo W:
> Absolutely yes. Any abscess, like any deep set infection, can make you feel exhausted, and may also give you swinging fevers, nausea, general malaise, not to mention pain. Because of the gradual onset of much caries, we seem to somehow get mildly desensitised to the pain. But abscesses are usually very painful indeed.

Silent abscesses, though, are a nuisance. I had one for about 10 years before it was discovered[1]; the effects were low level but it was obvious how much better I felt when it was got rid of and the infections all removed with antibiotics. I'm fairly convinced its long-term pratting about with my immune system is how I ended up with a number of allergies as well.

[1] Because it stopped being silent and started causing a *lot* of pain, against which normal painkillers made no inroads whatsoever.
Post edited at 00:52
OP Timmd 07 Sep 2015
In reply to PamPam:
I generally tell the people at reception that it's really painful in situations like that, and let the dentist decide how urgent something is, you never quite know what might be lurking when it comes to teeth.
Post edited at 18:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...