UKC

Climbing and hiking in Oman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jay83 01 Sep 2015
Can anyone recommend a destination in Oman with good hiking and climbing (and a comfortable hotel)? Easyish reach of Dubai preferably. Is Jabel Shams any good? I only have three days away from Dubai.

Thanks
 dunnyg 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Jay83:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/36629433669/?fref=ts is useful.

There is DWS in Musandam which is relatively close to you. Sharaf looks good (there is a video on the page for bolt clipping), or Wadi Tiwi might be a bit far south, but has loads of adventurous trad and theres supposed to be nice hiking round the back.

Hatta might be worth a look.

Khubrah Canyon Is nice, easy access, cool surroundings, about 1hr from Muscat and posh hotels.

I walked up jebel shams, it was ok, the view is awesome, but the walking isn't too exciting just a pretty constant angle up hill for a while. Not sure if there are any routes recorded up the (Nth?) face but it would be an adventure if you are into that kind of thing. I think there is (?) a via ferrata on jebel shams, going to/from the "lost village" on the side of the gorge. If not theres a path.I regretted not going for a poke around over there.

Jebel misht looks incredible, but might be tight in 3 days including driving.

No idea about hotels anywhere.
Post edited at 18:53
 Motown 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Jay83:

When are you there? Shade is key - you can't climb or hike without it at the moment. Hatta has shade and can have a breeze, but the steep half hour slog up to it would be hard before October.

Your best bet at the moment for climbing would be Tawiyan, which is in the shade all day. Let me know when you're there and I'll try and help.

Will

tjekel 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Motown:

In Kubrah there is shade early morning, routes are well bolted, but I'd still prefer autumn / winter.

There should be an oman guidebook by panico detailing lots od trad stuff.

Bserk 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Jay83:

From Dubai Shams is 6-8 hour car ride, BC is at about 2000m, the hike is about 6-10 hours depending on your speed, breaks etc. I like it because of the great views you have!

Climbing close to Dubai would be Hatta area, try the UAE Guidebook or get in touch with one of the climbing groups on Facebook.
In reply to Jay83:

Temperatures at this time of the year can be pretty fierce - though it never stopped us climbing all year round once we got used to it.

Great hiking in Wadi Ghalilah - the Stairway to Heaven route actually crosses in to Oman - Hatta Crag is technically in Oman. Wonderwall is just over the border near Buraimi. There are some great pools and water wadis nearby for cooling off after a hot days climbing.

Sadly I cant tell you much about Oman proper - the company I worked for were too tight to provide me with the necessary documents for frequent border crossings - however back in the late 90's the UAE / Oman border was pretty open and as long as you didn't go through any major border posts you could pretty much go where you pleased.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...