UKC

In Cold Blood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 01 Sep 2015
I'm stuck for something read, not getting on with David Mitchell, Ghostwritten (it's boring).

What I really want is something brilliant, witty, quite light but at the same time that speaks to me quite deeply...but looking at the bookshelf, the one I haven't read is bloody Truman Capote. It's been sat there for years.

Shall I bother? Have I got any hope of sticking with it? Or is it just an ubergrimfest that will mean nothing to me at all, no matter how skilful the writing?
ultrabumbly 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I bought this years ago after seeing the film(the one with Philip Seymour Hoffman). Each time I have tried to read it I end up hearing the "Capote voice" and it has perhaps ruined it for me. Though the film is good, I wish I had read the book first. I usually find a good book has its own "voice" and not that of the author. The first couple of chapters would lead me to believe it is going to be something of an ordeal but I quite like subjecting myself to such every now and again, even if half the pleasure is finishing it and thinking "thank feck I am out of that place."
 Bob Hughes 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I loved it - and oddly, given the subject - I don't remember it being that heavy.

if you fancy something less heavy you could try his book of short stories Music for Chameleons
OP Jon Stewart 01 Sep 2015
In reply to Bob Hughes:

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave it for now, and give it a go when I'm in a more relaxed place (not working and studying every day).
 RockSteady 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

It's a gripping, chilling book, well written and definitely worth a read.
 Postmanpat 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Shall I bother? Have I got any hope of sticking with it? Or is it just an ubergrimfest that will mean nothing to me at all, no matter how skilful the writing?

Read it years ago. I can't remember very much about it except that I was glad I had read it so I guess I "enjoyed" it. But of a page turner I think.
 lorentz 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Definitely worth reading at some point. It's dark subject matter, no doubt... but brilliantly written and, as had been said, unputdownable.
 Mike Highbury 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> What I really want is something brilliant, witty, quite light but at the same time that speaks to me quite deeply...but looking at the bookshelf, the one I haven't read is bloody Truman Capote. It's been sat there for years.

I read it at school so, Are you a bloodthirsty 17 y-o boy?
 Steve Perry 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I'm stuck for something read, not getting on with David Mitchell, Ghostwritten (it's boring).

Try The Bone Clocks, I thought that was great.

OP Jon Stewart 02 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> Are you a bloodthirsty 17 y-o boy?

A bit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...