UKC

What's more offensive?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 03 Sep 2015
Pictures of dead children or the man made situations that cause those deaths!

I've seen quite a few pictures on social media and today on the covers of national newspapers of the bodies of children washed up on the shores of the Med as a result of the ongoing humanitarian crisis.

Personally, whilst the pictures are not pleasant, it is good that we are witnessing some of the realities of what people are experiencing. I was quite surprised to see that at least one poster on here has been "unfriending" people on Facebook for posting such pictures. Perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised, anyone with any life experience knows, someone will always have a different point of view.

So what do you think? Should these images be as prominent as they are or hidden away and with warnings.
 buzby 03 Sep 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

I suppose its like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
we can hear about the horrors of war and conflict and the aftermath but when you see it for real it definitely has a bigger effect.
maybe something good might come out of it if it at least gets the politicians talking and having to take responsibility and action.
 john arran 03 Sep 2015

It's an editorial call as to what the image publication is intended to achieve and whether it's justified. For something like a one-off shooting incident, showing gory pictures is likely to appeal only to the voyeur in us so doesn't seem like a worthwhile thing, whereas the pictures today seem to have helped communicate a reality that the numbers and stories published widely for months now have simply failed to communicate. For me that's justification aplenty.
 Timmd 03 Sep 2015
In reply to john arran:
I can find myself wondering if any dead children's parents would want their image to be seen by millions, and if any steps were taken to check.

I almost feel like I'm seeing something private if I see pictures of the children washed up onto the beaches.
Post edited at 14:27
 john arran 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

That's a very good point. I would hope they would have been asked.
ultrabumbly 03 Sep 2015

it isn't as though people with half a brain cannot imagine that these things are happening but when they are reported as groups of incidents, people often respond less strongly. It is called something like the Identified Victim Effect by psychologists.

It isn't a new notion though, as "turning a blind eye" policies have always managed to be just about acceptable because it is probably very true, that in some ways, we deal with what we hear by a coping mechanism along the lines of "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic"

I think as horrific as each single incident is, it also uncomfortably brings to the surface the other happenings we know are taking place but that we know we choose not to think about.
 Valaisan 03 Sep 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

ultra philosophical bumbly. well said.
 Valaisan 03 Sep 2015

If a reader/viewer can't cope or doesn't want to see such horrific images there is chance enough to avoid them. TV news channels have consistently issued a warning before showing such images and one can just walk past a news stand without looking.

These images that you speak of are in this instance fully justifiable for all the reasons several of your respondents have already made.
 Scarab9 03 Sep 2015

I'm happy the media is actually showing the tragic side instead of like only a week or two ago when it was still "bloody foreigners". Newspapers are bought to inform (in theory) and it's up to the papers or news sites etc to decide whether they show the more shocking images which they can base on what their readership want. Personally I'm glad they're doing it as, as mentioned above, it does help kick the doors down on people's minds where stats don't work.

Someone said "anyone with half a brain blah blah"...actually there's plenty of people that just shut off anything serious or outside of their immediate life or whatever. Plenty of people that just don't seem to absorb the info around them. The shocking pics gets it through to them, and in some cases this will also lead them to rethink the dogmatic right wing phrases they've heard and actually consider the true nature of what's happening. think climate change - plenty of people still think it's bollocks because 10 years ago someone told them some spurious 'fact' despite all that's been said to prove it since. Show them some of the severe effects already being felt (there's was something on buzzfeed the other day that did the rounds) and suddenly they're thinking "yeah...climate change, terrible stuff".

I will say that facebook is different. It's a tool used for various different purposes. Not everyone wants a constant barrage of
+ shocking pictures
+ political posts
+ kid photos (Hannah S...)
+ climbing photos....

and unfollowing someone means you get to read what you want on your newsfeed (as far as that goes...before the anti FB brigade gets started).
I not so long ago unfollowed a fairly good mate because he shares just about everything he sees on facebook so on some days 90% of the posts on my newsfeed were all from him and all annoying share/forwards. That was a similar choice.
Rigid Raider 03 Sep 2015

Society is still deeply racist. A year or two ago when all this started the press published pictures of exhausted Africans dragging themselves up Greek beaches within a stone's throw of holidaymakers sunning themselves, apparently without a care. The pictures failed to elicit public outrage, sadly because the Africans were black and alien and not especially welcome.

Now things have changed because here are almost white Caucasian people with pale-skinned children who look just like our own children. We wouldn't mind having a nice Syrian or Iraqi family to stay for a couple of weeks, it would give us an unlimited fund of dinner party stories and a great sense of moral satisfaction. Yet they and the Africans have fled their homes for the same reasons - terrorism, famine, unemployment, fear. Arguably the Africans have shown even greater resourcefulness and determination in crossing the Sahara desert, as big and as dangerous as the Mediterranean sea.

By definition migrants and asylum seekers who reach Europe are young, fit, healthy, resourceful and willing to work hard. If Europe had a coherent policy for accepting these people and distributing them instead of forcing them into ghettos, we could cope with the influx and in the long run we would benefit in the same way as we did from the arrival of Hugenots and other waves of refugees.

LifeIsAmazing 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

Unfortunately a lot of the parents also die. The young boy in the pictures also had sisters and a mother that died in the crossing too. The father survived.

The press had a wake up call.
 radddogg 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I can find myself wondering if any dead children's parents would want their image to be seen by millions, and if any steps were taken to check.

I'm not sure Nick Ut got permission from Kim Phúc's parents and it didn't stop him winning the Pulitzer prize
 wintertree 03 Sep 2015

I find it offensive that the pictures of a dead child are being used to push a political agenda that, if followed, would not have prevented the children from dying.

> I was quite surprised to see that at least one poster on here has been "unfriending" people on Facebook for posting such pictures.

Certainly I would be tempted to, not over the picture, but over their joining an internet slactivism bandwagon to beat the government up over policy that is not connected to the dead child.

> So what do you think? Should these images be as prominent as they are or hidden away and with warnings.

I'm happy for things to appear without a warning, although if it's a video I'd rather it didn't auto-play. It's an awful world out there and we're very lucky to be in one of its most stable corners. There but for the grace of chance I could have been born in one of these failed or failing states, and that's a sobering thought. As is the WHO estimate that 5,400,000 children die worldwide each year.

But what to do? Liberal, secular democracy has swept across the world. Some places have taken to it, and those that haven't, haven't for a reason. I don't think all the will in the world from some "good" states is going to change that. I'd like to see a heavily militarised, highly trained and highly equipped UN combined forces with a mandate to protect the lives and rights of the world's citizens up to some minimum acceptable standard. It can't be worse than what is happening now? Give the leaders of failed states two options - leave or be executed - and bring in UN governance and forces until a peaceable democracy can be set up and can demonstrate its independence.

Sadly the examples of this sort of interventionist strategy working successfully in the long term are few and far between.
 Timmd 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:
> Society is still deeply racist. A year or two ago when all this started the press published pictures of exhausted Africans dragging themselves up Greek beaches within a stone's throw of holidaymakers sunning themselves, apparently without a care. The pictures failed to elicit public outrage, sadly because the Africans were black and alien and not especially welcome.

> Now things have changed because here are almost white Caucasian people with pale-skinned children who look just like our own children. We wouldn't mind having a nice Syrian or Iraqi family to stay for a couple of weeks, it would give us an unlimited fund of dinner party stories and a great sense of moral satisfaction.

I hope all that's only partially true, it could be that we've become accustomed to thinking other people/society can take care of things, too?
Post edited at 15:14
 timjones 03 Sep 2015

> Society is still deeply racist. A year or two ago when all this started the press published pictures of exhausted Africans dragging themselves up Greek beaches within a stone's throw of holidaymakers sunning themselves, apparently without a care. The pictures failed to elicit public outrage, sadly because the Africans were black and alien and not especially welcome.

> Now things have changed because here are almost white Caucasian people with pale-skinned children who look just like our own children. We wouldn't mind having a nice Syrian or Iraqi family to stay for a couple of weeks, it would give us an unlimited fund of dinner party stories and a great sense of moral satisfaction. Yet they and the Africans have fled their homes for the same reasons - terrorism, famine, unemployment, fear. Arguably the Africans have shown even greater resourcefulness and determination in crossing the Sahara desert, as big and as dangerous as the Mediterranean sea.

> By definition migrants and asylum seekers who reach Europe are young, fit, healthy, resourceful and willing to work hard. If Europe had a coherent policy for accepting these people and distributing them instead of forcing them into ghettos, we could cope with the influx and in the long run we would benefit in the same way as we did from the arrival of Hugenots and other waves of refugees.

> .

Or maybe you're the only one seeing race as the issue. I presume that the Africans dragging themselves up the beaches were alive, how many of them were children?

I have to admit that when I saw the picture last night on my phone it had an incredible emotional effect on me, an unusual experience, but amplified as I had just come back from a beach holiday with my children and my son is the same age. It certainly has made me think and focus on this migrant/asylum crisis. So on that basis, publishing the distressing picture has had the desired effect on me.

What's weird is that I could watch hours of live leak ( I don't) of mobile phone footage of fighters taking head shots from snipers and Apache footage of raining burning steel on goat herders with kalashnikovs and it would leave me cold. But this image is so innocent and tragic due to the total trust that has lead to a frightening death. If it had been the result of an accident on a beach in Spain of a holidaymaker would the photo be as powerful?

Roadrunner5 03 Sep 2015

I saw byeek saying about defriending people.

I can understand people being upset but offended?

i dont like the wings put on the kids or any memes but think the images should be seen so people realise just how desperate the situation is.
 Roadrunner5 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> I can find myself wondering if any dead children's parents would want their image to be seen by millions, and if any steps were taken to check.

> I almost feel like I'm seeing something private if I see pictures of the children washed up onto the beaches.

Would they have known where there kid was without the images being shown? At least now they have a body to bury.

Hopefully it will kick the EU into being more active and looking for solutions, short term and long term.

ByEek 03 Sep 2015
In reply to buzby:

> I suppose its like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I agree. But new is like a sugar rush. This is the big thing right now. But next week it will be forgotten and we will be talking about something else. In that respect I find it disrespectful and all in vane.

Personally I don't want to see pictures of dead children, especially as I have two young children of my own, but that choice seems to have been taken away from me. I no longer feel I can watch the news and I have stopped using Facebook after what greeted me this morning.
 MG 03 Sep 2015

I'm not sure being less concerned about people from a long way a way (geographically and culturally) is racist as such. Just natural, tribal type behaviour.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Arguably, this:

That graph needs to be taken in context:
a. Demographics of the country e.g. Germany has a low birth rate and needs immigration
b. Level of other forms of immigration into the country e.g. UK is getting large numbers of immigrants from Eastern Europe.
c. German industry has a labour shortage, countries like Spain have unemployment.
d. Some countries e.g. UK are spending significant sums on military intervention against ISIS and international aid to support refugee camps in the region the migrants are coming from.

Šljiva 03 Sep 2015

In reply to The New NickB One person's story will often hammer home the reality of a situation much more than the 300k/800k numbers splashed around which are hard to relate to. The situation is beyond tragic. And that photo will, rightly or wrongly, be the photo of the year.
Post edited at 18:36
 summo 03 Sep 2015

Even just reading some comments here, it is apparent that out of sight, out of mind still rules and they don't like facing facts.

Another sad view is we are spending lots of money droppings bombs, so aren't obliged to accept any, or our birth rate is higher then Germanys. Pretty selfish overall.
 dsh 03 Sep 2015
In reply to summo:

> Even just reading some comments here, it is apparent that out of sight, out of mind still rules and they don't like facing facts.

People don't want to see the reality of the situation, because then they can no longer avoid feeling guilty about their view of how the country should deal with refugees, or their feeling of powerlessness to do anything about it.

summo 03 Sep 2015
In reply to dsh:

Not powerless, you can lobby your mp, you can donate, you can even physically help etc...
 Timmd 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:
> Would they have known where there kid was without the images being shown? At least now they have a body to bury.

> Hopefully it will kick the EU into being more active and looking for solutions, short term and long term.

That's probably a fair question, but I don't know if it changes the dignity the dead (children) should be afforded, if you see what I mean?

I just felt like it wasn't my place to be seeing the dead children I guess. Time to start lobbying and signing things like the 38 degrees petition etc.
Post edited at 22:03
In reply to Šljiva:

> In reply to The New NickB One person's story will often hammer home the reality of a situation much more than the 300k/800k numbers splashed around which are hard to relate to. The situation is beyond tragic. And that photo will, rightly or wrongly, be the photo of the year.

yes. its possibly the most shocking and horrifying image i've ever seen.

as i said on the other thread, i think this has the potential to have a similar level of cultural impact as the photo of phan thi kim phuc did during the vietnam war.

i suspect there are a lot of people who will have changed their views on what europe should do based on this.
 French Erick 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Hopefully it will kick the EU into being more active and looking for solutions, short term and long term.
No hope there

I am rather pro-Europe for many reasons although I don't condone many a thing this political entity does. However, Europe, or for that matter any big governing bodies, has lost its moral compass a long time ago. Mainly because we don't want to take a hit on our standards of living...even when it means avoiding humanitarian atrocities the world over.

To the OP. In an age when we see so many things anyway, I have no problem with this photo being shown. Remember that terrible picture in East Africa about that child blatantly starving and a vulture waiting a few meters back? I was in my late teens. I was not and still am not a very teary person...I cried. Before that photo, I had never thought about those people starving much. Unfortunately, nothing much has changed, despite my increased awareness.
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Sep 2015
In reply to French Erick:
I believe that a key element of the EU is its' moral compass. If it has lost that, then it has lost everything. If it's just about more consumption within Fortress Europe, then I want out.
Post edited at 23:02
 winhill 03 Sep 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

> it isn't as though people with half a brain cannot imagine that these things are happening but when they are reported as groups of incidents, people often respond less strongly. It is called something like the Identified Victim Effect by psychologists.

It used to be called a form of visceral clutch, an irresistible emotional response to an image.

It worked for Band Aid, but that sort of issue seems to have slipped down the agenda, 20 years ago 12 million children died annually in Africa, now it's down to just over 6 million. That's an awful lot of pictures.

The problem is that these images (hard to avoid, rather than easy, I think today) produce a particular response, not a rise in consciousness that would make people think about other issues as well (like Africa).

So those people who are most affected are unable to link it or connect it to other events. Especially they're not able to connect to political life. Gordon Brown, for example, committing the richest nations to spending 0.7% of income on development aid, but widely rejected by voters on the grounds he looked a bit funny or appeared socially awkward, whilst people voted for that nice but dim Clegg or youthful 'I agree with Nick' Cameron.

If it makes people prioritise Syrians or others over larger problems then it seems like we're getting further from a solution, rather than nearer, as people satisfy themselves over a short term response and continue to ignore the wider issues.
Wiley Coyote2 03 Sep 2015

The problem with a pic like this is that creating an impact almost inevitably involves an insidious ratchet effect. The next pic has to be stronger and even more shocking to evoke the same response so where do you go for the next pic with impact? When the shock of this one fades does the camera get closer? Does the video linger for longer? Do you show a face next time? Or a younger kid? Or several kids? Shock journalism can lead you into some very dark places
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> I believe that a key element of the EU is its' moral compass. If it has lost that, then it has lost everything. If it's just about more consumption within Fortress Europe, then I want out.

Whether the UK takes a few hundred or a few tens of thousand makes no difference. It is the big numbers which matter and the whole concept of solving the refugee problem by resettling in the EU as opposed to helping them near their own countries . If Germany takes in 800,000 refugees in a year and lets say the rest of the EU another 200,000 that is 1 million people getting resettled in the EU in 1 year.

Those 1 million people have friends and extended family most of whom will have just as good a case to make as refugees if they can make it to the EU and if they see their family/friends making it they will be far more likely to try themselves. There's 3 or 4 million displaced Syrians alone, not to mention another 18 million in Syria that haven't left, 30 million in Iraq, then there is Yemen, Afghanistan, Libya.....

Taking in a million people is just going to cause 5 million to try and get in next year. If it looks like large numbers are getting in you will create the kind of situation which happened when the iron curtain fell with an almost unstoppable population movement.
Post edited at 23:38
 Roadrunner5 04 Sep 2015
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Whether the UK takes a few hundred or a few tens of thousand makes no difference.

This just isnt true and its used as an excuse to do nothing.

It's like saying the dunquerque evacuation was pointless, or schindlers work saving thousands of jews.. to the people offered safety it is a life changing difference.
 Indy 04 Sep 2015

I wonder if they'll be an investigation into the death.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...