UKC

Bosherton access midweek - Firing Range

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen W-G 03 Sep 2015
Had a plan to head to Pembroke next week Wed-Sat.

Seen range is shut Wed and Thurs. Does this tend to be all day? Am I better heading to N Wales?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/4...
 zimpara 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

Till 4-5pm. Most weekdays.
 spidermonkey09 03 Sep 2015
In reply to zimpara:

Very likely to be closed all day Thursday as there is night firing that day, you might get an afternoon on the Wednesday if you're lucky but no guarantees really.
 Jon Stewart 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

Bear in mind also that the firing times are a bit of a paper exercise - they do whatever they want on the day, after all, what's you or anyone else going to do about it.

If you want to climb on the Range (even including St Govs which may also be shut), then don't go, but if you're content with Mother Carey's and Stackpole areas, do.
In reply to Jon Stewart:

In my experience (having lived in Pembrokeshire for 8 years), it is very rare that they say it will be open and it is not. I think this has happened to me once. It is a lot more common the other way round, they say it will be closed but it is actually open.

Lots to do at other open areas when it is closed.
 Andy Manthorpe 04 Sep 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

There is a recorded message on access available on 01646 662367 for Castle Martin Range.
James Jackson 04 Sep 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Bear in mind also that the firing times are a bit of a paper exercise - they do whatever they want on the day, after all, what's you or anyone else going to do about it.

I strongly challenge that statement. Range timings are stringently adhered to, be it small arms, tanks, artillery, whatever. Not only is a good husbandry, but on a range like Castlemartin there are all sorts of external assets to co-ordinate (radar operators, safety craft at sea, air space restrictions, equipment support people) which are either time-critical themselves or rely on contractors who rigidly enforce their hours. Having run small arms and vehicle ranges of various type, I would not like to be the one firing outside of published hours.

As said previously, it can be the case that firing is published but doesn't happen. Usually this will be because a slip day is factored into a progressive firing schedule, and if all goes well (no equipment failures, good shooting, good weather) then the planned exercises will finish early and the range can be opened.
 Gerry 04 Sep 2015
In reply to James Jackson:

I'm afraid unscheduled closures are becoming more common. The local club has lost two evening trips into the range this summer due to unscheduled night firing. As it says on the firing notice; "Subject to change"
If you are coming from away then there's plenty of other great areas to climb in Pembrokeshire, it's just a bit of a pain to head for Stack Rocks or wherever expecting the access to be open only to find that it isn't.
 John2 05 Sep 2015
In reply to Owen W-G: You will probably be able to climb at St Govan's and Trevallen every day, and on the entire range from 4.30 or so onwards on Thursday and Friday.

James Jackson 05 Sep 2015
In reply to Gerry:

Ah sorry, I thought you meant firing out of the allowed hours (0900 to 1600 or whatever it is on that range) - those will stay constant no matter what the day, scheduled or unscheduled. Unscheduled closing happens when there's an operational requirement.
 Gerry 06 Sep 2015
In reply to James Jackson:

Allowed hours? This is not a rifle range; it's big and they fight wars on it with big guns and fly very noisy aeroplanes over it and the surrounding area. Yes, day firing takes place between normally accepted hours, and night firing takes place at night.
There is a firing schedule published each month giving which access points are open to the public or not on which days and whether night firing will take place. So far as I'm concerned any firing outside that schedule is unscheduled because it has not been published. It doesn't matter to me whether it's an oprational requirement or just for fun, the only way I can find out in advance is to 'phone the range on the day. And, yes, it does happen, day or night, and more so than in the past.
James Jackson 06 Sep 2015
In reply to Gerry:

> Allowed hours? This is not a rifle range; it's big and they fight wars on it with big guns and fly very noisy aeroplanes over it and the surrounding area. Yes, day firing takes place between normally accepted hours, and night firing takes place at night.

I am fully aware of that, thank you, having fired on the range a number of times. My point is the days may change, but the hours within any given firing day would not. I'm afraid there is plenty of coastline but not many ranges. At least if you go to Pembroke there is plenty of climbing to do that is not liable to closure (less birds).
OP Owen W-G 06 Sep 2015
In reply to John2:

> You will probably be able to climb at St Govan's and Trevallen every day, and on the entire range from 4.30 or so onwards on Thursday and Friday.

You reckon the road to St govans parking will be open even if gate W of th chapel closed? I thought the entire road closes
 John2 06 Sep 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

No, if it says that the road will be open then just the gate will be closed (assuming that the military don't change their minds re the schedule).

But I wouldn't discount climbing at Mowing Word, Stackpole Head and Mother Carey's even if you do have the St Govan's / Trevallen option - they are three of the best crags in Pembroke.
OP Owen W-G 07 Sep 2015
In reply to John2:

FYI to anyone following this...

Just called up. Man from the MOD said road to SGH is open Thurs & Fri even though access past the checkpoint by the parking will be closed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...