UKC

Tips on making accommodation more climber friendly?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ConstaBern 03 Sep 2015
Hi, I'm looking for some ideas on how to attract climbers to stay at a holiday park containing mainly caravans and some chalets.

We are based in a climbing area so that's a start.

Is there anything you've seen in other places that is ideal for climbers or anything in particular that would draw you in to staying somewhere (as a climber)?

I know dirt cheap prices are always a sure way to attract a climber but I'm looking for some other ideas...

Any help is appreciated thanks guys!
 Ramblin dave 03 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

I currently organize the trips for our climbing club, and the most common deal breakers are:
"no groups" policy
difficulty arriving late at night.

Most of our trips are weekend visits leaving from work on Friday, and hence anywhere with a "check in before reception closes at 6pm" policy isn't going to happen.

A serviceable website helps as well - doesn't have to be anything space age, just the basic information plus a contact email. Cheap is good too, obviously, but it doesn't matter how cheap you are if you've made it impossible for us to visit!

NB, are you on Portland? If so, can you drop me an email through this site, as I'm actually looking for Portland accommodation at the moment!
 marsbar 03 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

Somewhere safe to store bikes and kayaks.

Little things like a place for muddy boots
Eg
http://www.tlbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Best-Boot-Tray.png

Climbers don't tend to mix too well with excessive and pointless rules.

Late check out on Sundays maybe?

Dogs allowed.

No rules about no all male groups etc.

Rick Graham 03 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

Advertise on UKC and possibly the climbing guidebook?

Oogachooga 03 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:
Whats the site mate? I'm interested aswell if its Portland.

Ditto, late arrivals up to 2300 ish.
Camp fires allowed
Slackline or similar entertainment

Post edited at 18:49
 slab_happy 03 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

If you're near a bouldering area, how about renting out bouldering mats?
 marsbar 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

Oh yes campfires.
 summo 03 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:
I would say same as anyone else, climbers don't differ that much from 'normal' folk.

Clean, decent showers, space for kit, a porch area, parking close or adjacent to cabins, not chavy or escessively loud at night, fridge that works, some big pots for collective cooking in cabin's kitchen, a comfortable lounge/sofa area in cabin, BBQ area (fires are a little excessive IMHO), small shop for essentials/emergencies, perhaps a takeaway van or a local company that is allowed to deliver on site, fairly secure so people aren't scared of stuff getting swiped from inside their car / van at night.
 Martin Hore 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> I currently organize the trips for our climbing club, and the most common deal breakers are:

> "no groups" policy

> difficulty arriving late at night.

Agree completely. For climbers from my part of the world (Ipswich) the ability to arrive late on a Friday night is essential.

And a rigid "no groups" policy is a real pain. In fact what I would really appreciate is a "no groups" policy that's applied flexibly, so that I don't get disturbed by the kind of groups that give "groups" a bad name, but mature "groups" of climbers are still allowed.

Martin
 AlanLittle 03 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

A corner where the less posh in their little scruffy tents / little scruffy vans can feel not too out of place.

I'm thinking of one of the campsites in Cortina that was mostly families in caravans or big semi-detached tents, but there was - whether it was planned or just allowed to happen spontaneously - a spot under the trees near the river where the climbers congregated and were happy.
 Mark Morris 03 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

Don't see need for campfires on a caravan park, but noticed that most parks these days have a "decking" area with barbecues on. Agree with that. The all male thing is highlighted elsewhere. Buying a premier post on this site and advertising in the guides/websites/magazines will get you more customers, particularly in the winter months.

The climbing/walking season can be greatly extended if there were non-camping, non B&B, non hotel options available. Lockable stores for gear/bikes a good idea, drying room on site somewhere great.

Ramblin dave 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

> Ditto, late arrivals up to 2300 ish.

Key safes for chalets and caravans and a check-in-in-the-morning policy for tents would be ideal - arrive when you like (so long as you do it quietly...)
In reply to summo:

Oh yes they do!
 summo 04 Sep 2015
In reply to John Stainforth:
> Oh yes they do!

climbers think they are different, but they / we aren't really. Many of the things we consider nice, would be appreciate by normal people too.

I'll add in sufficient sockets for charging etc.. and perhaps wifi, or at least the option of it on your cabins. A charging point for campers is good too, but I think there could be theft issues, seen it in Europe though.

In the camping area, lots of picnic tables are good, makes camping from the car boot easier, or a canopied area (only a roof, no walls), so campers can eat in the dry on wet days.
Post edited at 06:03
 HeMa 04 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

One thing that I've found out really helps... is gear/kit drying room.

Doesn't need to be anything that special, simple a well ventilated space, where rain doesn't fall in... With lots and lots of beams and hooks to hang stuff to dry.

Also, as has been stated, late arrival might be nice, with perhaps a possibility of bookin' the area in advance (when in a tent), if staying during a busy period.

One of the camping grounds I visit quite often, is rather good at serving climbers. So they allow late arrival, and also keep the grounds open for climbers during the time they are officially closed, as climbers extend the season from earlier spring to later fall than 'normal' users.
 Fiend 04 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

No fcking slacklines or campfires and instant dismemberment for any fcking hippy cocksmoker playing a guitar.

Generally, simple budget options: what we really need is a decent bed, shower, somewhere easy to cook for the night, and a simple lounge type area to hang out. Jacuzzis laundrettes childrens playparks satellite TV etc etc all completely irrelevant. The one useful luxury is good mobile signal / wifi to check weather. That's it.

Also, general encouragement for peace and quiet so we can sleep well at night and climb hard in the day. Late arrivals encouraged to respect this i.e. not the hordes of moronic londoners who gatecrash welsh campsites for their "world's noisiest tent assembly" at midnight. Parking near caravans also useful for sorting kit etc.

Short-term rentals for caravans and stuff.
OP ConstaBern 04 Sep 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

http://www.coveholidaypark.co.uk/

We are on Portland about a 10 minute walk from The Cuttings area and 15 minutes from Cheyne Weares.

Unfortunately the site has no space for pitching tents but our caravans can sleep from 2 - 6 guests.

In reply to ConstaBern:

Thank you for all the replies everyone this was really helpful!
 tjin 04 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

If you clearly target climbers:
- Sell the local climbing topo.
- Post up to date weather information.

- I like to camp in my own tent...
 abarro81 04 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

I just looked at your site briefly.
1. Having to put in dates to get a rough price is a pain
2. It appears to cost ballpark £30-40 pppn... People paying for accomodation at that price are going to be normal people who happen to be going climbing, not climbers if you get my drift.
 spidermonkey09 04 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

Climbers aren't going to pay that money regularly. If you want to attract people you need some tent space. Shame as there is an obvious market for reasonably priced camping on Portland.
 cha1n 04 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

If your prices end up being even close to what it costs to stay in Europe then people are just going to go there instead, Portland's not that good!

There's not really any other tricks apart from make it cheap really.. Maybe target the sports where people are willing to spend more money, the divers, etc.
 deepsoup 04 Sep 2015
In reply to Fiend:
> Generally, simple budget options: what we really need is a decent bed, shower, somewhere easy to cook for the night, and a simple lounge type area to hang out. Jacuzzis laundrettes childrens playparks satellite TV etc etc all completely irrelevant. The one useful luxury is good mobile signal / wifi to check weather. That's it.

I agree with Fiend, but something I would add to his list of wants is a reasonably effective drying room. Not so much for climbing necessarily (other than DWS possibly), but obviously a big bonus for anything that involves mucking about in the water.

Edit to add:
HeMa wrote:
> One thing that I've found out really helps... is gear/kit drying room.

My mistake, I thought it hadn't been said. Yes, this. :O)
Post edited at 14:03
In reply to ConstaBern:

I agree that it is quite pricey (sadly I'm not the boss so don't make the prices). That said, some of our caravans that sleep 6 people can be rented out for the weekend for £211 which works out at £35 each for two nights. Would you consider this as reasonable? We also have some slightly cheaper ones. Maybe we just need to advertise this better for groups of climbers.

Our website is a outdated and needs renewing which doesn't help but it will be done soon.

Oh and we have a drying room so we just need to advertise it I think.

Thanks again for the replies guys.
 GrahamD 04 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

Late arrivals arrangement (meaning early hours)
Clean
Showers
Cooking facilities (including enough plates pans etc)
Communal seating / eating area
Drying room / area

...that's about it really.
 Oogachooga 04 Sep 2015
In reply to ConstaBern:

Cheers for the link. Shame it doesn't have camping!

I was getting excited then about dropping down in the campervan.

Is there no room for campers/tents or is that just how the boss likes it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...