UKC

Dolomite Bivouac - What to take/expect?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robin Woodward 04 Sep 2015
Hi,

Heading to the Dolomites in a couple of weeks to do some easy long trad and some via ferrata, and one of our aims is to do the Sorapis Circuit VF. The guide says that you can stay in the bivouacs en route, and it seems like you'd only need to take a sleeping bag. Is this correct? And are they likely to be full near the end of September?

I'm thinking we might try and make sure we're not trying to use them at the weekend, but otherwise I was assuming there won't be too many people also doing this (I think there's two which accommodate 6-9 each).

Thanks,

Robin
 Casa Alfredino 04 Sep 2015
In reply to Robin Woodward:

I'd say a sleeping bag would be wise. Sometimes there will be blankets but I shouldn't count on it. Like wise, space is first come first served. Having said that the end of September is a much quieter period and as you say, mid week should be OK. Hopefully. Maybe take a cheap tarp and some string just in case?
 Lakeslina 04 Sep 2015

We did the Sorapiss Circuit in July - really enjoyed it! We did the first two sections of VF starting early from the road, then stayed in the Bivacco Comici overnight, and finished off the following day. There were 6-9 bunks, all with 2 blankets on them, so just taking a sleeping bag would be fine. We were the only people in the hut (4 of us) and it was roasting hot. The other hut was similar, I think (we had lunch next to it earlier on the first day).

No idea how full they'd be in September, though the logbook in the Comici hut did mention a night a week prior to our stay when 13 people had turned up and some had had to bivvy outside!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 04 Sep 2015

It's a lovely circuit. During September the huts shouldn't be busy and there are usually blankets (though I'd still take a sleeping bag). A couple of photos from the last time I did it:

https://www.facebook.com/JamesRushforth1/posts/10101209497764193?pnref=stor...

Enjoy your trip!
 dsiska 04 Sep 2015

I would take a cooker, gas and saucepan (on top of a sleeping bag). You will likely find all of those so it's somewhat a question of what you prefer: light backpack or guaranteed warm dinner and night.

Bivacco della Pace (visited twice, once last year once in about 2003) had sleeping bags, blankets saucepans and gas. Was empty on both visits (early July and late August, weekday night).
In reply to dsiska:

I think we're going to take options for cold food (with some light warm options if we feel it's worth it) rather than a burner, just doesn't seem worth it for 1 not particularly cold night and a relatively short following day.
 Lakeslina 04 Sep 2015

Another downside of hot food is the lack of water on the route, though it'll be less hot when you're there. If I did it again, I'd go lighter with the amount of stuff we took, but we weren't sure what to expect from the huts, etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...