UKC

Hampi / India with a nut allergy and other q's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stopsy 04 Sep 2015
Hello, thought I'd ask the collective mind of UKC for their insights to travelling around India with a nut allergy.

So any experience, or just general feeling for how tricky it'll be to not die. As background I carry Epi-Pens with Peanuts being the worst but other tree nuts still not good either.

Plan is fly into Delhi at the start of Dec and travel down to Hampi and spend most of the time there until mid Jan.

I've looked on the web but it's all rather vague so wondering if anyone had any further info, tips and advice

Also, went to the GP about vaccines and would like to know peoples opinions on getting the Japanese Encephalitis and the value of taking antimalarials in Hampi? Obviously if it's death or forking out some money for the meds I'd pick meds, but it seems the chances of getting either are pretty low.

Thoughts? Thanks!
In reply to Stopsy:

How long are you there for?
 edunn 04 Sep 2015
In reply to Stopsy:

Wouldn't bother with the Japanese Encephalitis unless your planning on sleeping rough in farmyards. I think you have to be in fairly close proximity to pigs to even risk catching it.

As for the nut allergy, I went backpacking round Asia with someone who had severe (like, death if she looked at one) nut allergy once . Apart from the general paranoia she seemed to cope fairly well. She had notes written in the local languages that she could show to people at restaurants, which a picture of some nuts with a big cross through it (no joke), which seemed to work well. When she wasn't 100% confident they'd understood the note, she would ask to watch them cook the meal, and if in doubt would just ask for plain noodles. She also had a huge stash of nut free food that she brought with her incase she couldn't eat anything and was starving. She also had enough epi-pens to supply a small hospital.

The biggest hassle was having to call her mum every day to report that she was still alive, but that was before WhatsApp and free wifi.

OP Stopsy 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

There for 5 weeks and 6 days.
OP Stopsy 07 Sep 2015
In reply to edunn:

Aha thanks for the reply. Yep I was thinking about doing something similar with regards to the signs and translations. Generally not too paranoid, but probably should be while travelling.
 edunn 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Stopsy:

Good for you, and hats off for not letting it get in the way.

I'm sure you have plenty of experience with the condition, but the golden rule seemed to be; if in doubt, just avoid eating it.

Enjoy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...