UKC

Is this harness ok?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoulderGoat 05 Sep 2015
Hi there,

I'm buying my first harness and have noticed this sale:

http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/704243

I was wondering if this harness is 'ok' as I don't know a lot about buying them and it is suspiciously cheap.

Thanks for any help.
 PPP 05 Sep 2015
In reply to BoulderGoat:

Yes, they are okay - Singing Rock is quite well known brand around the Europe (not so much in the UK). The harness looks solid and would fit all-round climbing.

However, you really want to try the harness on before buying. It might not be comfortable to hang or might not fit properly (too skinny/wide thighs, for example). Climbing equipment is usually non-returnable.
 TobyA 05 Sep 2015
In reply to PPP:

> However, you really want to try the harness on before buying. It might not be comfortable to hang or might not fit properly (too skinny/wide thighs, for example). Climbing equipment is usually non-returnable.

This is all true, but I guess as long as the OP picks the size that should fit him/her according to the size chart, it will probably be ok. I'm yet to come across a harness that wasn't at least OK to hang in, of course some are better than others, but if you are starting out and know no better it doesn't matter. They only have this model in limited extreme sizes so I guess that's why it is so cheap - hard to sell XS of XXL harnesses I expect.
OP BoulderGoat 05 Sep 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks for the info. Lucky me I'm an XS I've always borrowed harnesses and I understand that some are more comfortable than others but I'm not going to wear it every day so I think as long as it fits I'm happy.
 PPP 05 Sep 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Well, I know few climbers (who are either tall and skinny or very short) who wear women's harnesses as nothing else fits them properly. Given the OP might be one of them (given available sizes), it might be the case as well.
OP BoulderGoat 05 Sep 2015
In reply to PPP:

I'm female. I appreciate the concern but as I'm within the sizes shown in the size chart I'm going to give it a go, especially as the leg loops are adjustable. I won't be going too badly wrong for the price. Thanks for all your help
 TobyA 05 Sep 2015
In reply to BoulderGoat:

If it fits you OK I don't reckon you'll go wrong. It actually looks a rather nice harness.

I'm not certain but I think harnesses badged as Singing Rock are made in the Ocun factory in Czech Republic along with loads of other brands' harness models. In the Ocun catalogue this year I noticed a pic of their designers all round a table looking at one of their harnesses, but in the background you could see dozens of boxes on shelves containing sample models of the harnesses that they make, both their own brand and also DMM and other non-Czech brands. So I think a lot of harnesses come out of the same (good quality) factory regardless of the label on them!
 Hyphin 05 Sep 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Yip, could somebody please firmly remind me that I DON'T REALLY NEED ANOTHER HARNESS
 minimike 05 Sep 2015
In reply to BoulderGoat:

I used one of these for years with no issues. It was solid and I eventually replaced it after I got too big for it!

M
 EddInaBox 05 Sep 2015
In reply to PPP:

> ... Climbing equipment is usually non-returnable.

I do not believe this to be correct if bought online, the relevant legislation is The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 ( http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/made ) there is no exception made for PPE under regulation 28, so the consumer has a right to cancel within fourteen days of receiving the goods.
 PPP 06 Sep 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:

It might be true, but their website says so:
>Please note: Unless you receive this product in a damaged or faulty condition we are unfortunately not able to accept returns.

Sadly, a lot of other companies do the same.
 EddInaBox 06 Sep 2015
In reply to PPP:

Unless a case goes to court and a clever lawyer finds a way to wriggle out of it, the regulations concerning distance selling are fairly clear, you have 14 days from receipt of the goods to cancel the contract unless the goods have a specific exemption, there is no exemption for PPE. I can understand why companies are reluctant to take back such items, but just because they state they will not, does not mean they aren't legally obliged to do so. Cotswold Outdoors has this to say on their website:

The Distance Selling Regulations allow climbing equipment and helmets bought online to be returned within 14 days. For the safety of our customers, we will need to destroy any climbing equipment and all helmets (including ski) that are returned to us for refund or exchange. If in doubt please Contact Us before you make your purchase. This does not affect your statutory rights.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/returns-and-exchanges
 andrewmc 07 Sep 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:

At least one online retailer has terms and conditions that say something like:

'Under law XYZ we are obliged to offer returns on all goods. Under law ABC we are not allowed to resell PPE. So please please please don't return climbing gear because we will have to give you a refund then destroy the goods...'

It is the latter bit I'm not sure about - reselling used PPE may not be allowed but I suspect shops could argue unused goods returned in unused condition (tags etc) under such legislation might not count as used. But it may take a court case to determine?
 jkarran 07 Sep 2015
In reply to BoulderGoat:

> Thanks for the info. Lucky me I'm an XS I've always borrowed harnesses and I understand that some are more comfortable than others but I'm not going to wear it every day so I think as long as it fits I'm happy.

Getting a harness that fits isn't just about comfort while wearing it, it's about how it supports you while you're hanging in it, whether it keeps you upright without effort on your part (you may be unconscious remember), whether you can breathe comfortably when sat in it, whether you can sit in it to belay for a reasonable stint without your legs going dead. Price matters but bear in mind the £20 or £30 you might save now will be amortized over many years of use if you buy the right kit. On the other hand, this may fit you perfectly, I'm not saying anything against it as a harness, in fact it looks good, more about the process of buying purely on price without trying it on.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...