UKC

Cutting a 60m climbing rope down to 35m

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maxsmith 06 Sep 2015
Hi all, while lugging my 60m Edelrid Eagle rope up several scrambles in North Wales last weekend I decided to either invest in a shorter rope or cut it down. Seeing as I don't do much sport or trad climbing I thought I could take it down to 40 or 35m without any regrets. It was such a pain handling the longer rope on clogwyn y person.

How do I go about safely cutting the rope and preventing this new 'split end' from fraying? How do I mark the middle point of this new, shorter rope?

Any suggestions/advice gratefully received.

That rope is around 7 years old so I could also be tempted to buy a new scrambling specific rope instead..
 Oceanrower 06 Sep 2015
In reply to maxsmith:

Hot knife and sharpie.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Sep 2015
In reply to maxsmith:

Wrap some tape around where you want to cut it - slice through the middle of the tape then seal the ends with a a flame.

Chris
OP maxsmith 06 Sep 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

thanks guys, what kind of tape?
 nufkin 06 Sep 2015
In reply to maxsmith:

If you've a climbing shop nearby you could see if they have a hot knife you could use - cuts and seals in one go. They might also have some rope ink you could get for marking the middle
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Sep 2015
In reply to maxsmith:

Use your imagination,

Chris
OP maxsmith 06 Sep 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:

okay thanks, I'm not very imaginative so electrical tape will have to do
 Hyphin 06 Sep 2015
In reply to maxsmith:

Stanley knife, heat blade till it's glowing red; goes through it like a hot knife through ... rope. Does a fair job of sealing on first pass if needed keep reheating blade and pressing to cut end. If centre is already marked, cut equal lengths off each end; saves putting stuff on your rope that ain't meant to be there. Lots of stuff on here and internet about pros and cons of parking rope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...