UKC

Kirkus's Climb/Direct Clowyn yr Oen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Howard J 06 Sep 2015
I'm confused by the entries in the UKC database. The description for Kirkus's Climb seems to be more or less identical to the description of Kirkus's Climb Direct in Rockfax Pokketz guide. However they appear to be different routes. The database description for the Direct is pretty vague. I've been logging ascents of "Direct" based on the Pokketz description - is this in fact the ordinary route?

I got in a real mess on the traverse on the second pitch, couldn't see how to move further right,although I've led it several times before apparently without finding it difficult enough to justify a comment. So much for previous knowledge giving an advantage.
In reply to Howard J:

The Climbers Club guide descriptions seem quite clear, and the 'direct' is then a more direct version. Confusingly, Kirkus apparently climbed neither of these versions but came in from the left at the first belay, missing the awkward corner (the usual start of the non direct route) and the direct slab.
OP Howard J 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Thanks. I don't have the CC guide but what you've said confirms my suspicions and appears to be backed up by the Paul Williams' guide and the UKC database. It seems Rockfax may have got it wrong and what they describe is the Direct is in fact the Ordinary

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...