UKC

Finest Rock Feature in the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 06 Sep 2015
abseil 06 Sep 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

I like Dinas Cromlech, especially the Corner of course.
 Tom Last 06 Sep 2015

The Holy Jesus Wall looks pretty shit hot.
 Tom Last 06 Sep 2015

The Holy Jesus Wall looks pretty shit hot.

Or is that Republic of Ireland?
 Sean Kelly 06 Sep 2015

As a rock feature, the Napes is pretty special!
 mr mills 06 Sep 2015

Mousetrap Zone in Gogarth, amazing geological features !
 Jon Stewart 06 Sep 2015
 d_b 06 Sep 2015

Impressive, but I think you need two categories.

1. Most impressive rock feature from a vantage point likely to be reached by non climbers.
2. Most impressive rock feature.

I think your pic is in the running for 2, but perhaps not for 1.
 FactorXXX 06 Sep 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

1. Most impressive rock feature from a vantage point likely to be reached by non climbers.
2. Most impressive rock feature.

Malham Cove might be a contender for both.
OP Robert Durran 06 Sep 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:
> 1. Most impressive rock feature from a vantage point likely to be reached by non climbers.
> 2. Most impressive rock feature.

> I think your pic is in the running for 2, but perhaps not for 1.

Given that the only anchor at the top of the abseil is a small cairn (the real anchors are about 15 feet below down a very exposed chimney), that is definitely true!

Anyway, I was really thinking of the most impressive feature from a climber's eye point of view.

My candidiates: Great Arch, Pabbay. The Arch on Dun Mingulay. Sron Ulladale, Harris. Great Wall, Pentire. Central Gully Wall, Creag an Dubh Loch. And the Mucklehouse Wall.
Post edited at 21:16
 DaveHK 06 Sep 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

> 1. Most impressive rock feature from a vantage point likely to be reached by non climbers.

> 2. Most impressive rock feature.

> Malham Cove might be a contender for both.

Or Gordale.
 AdrianC 06 Sep 2015

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Devil's Slide yet.
 radddogg 06 Sep 2015

Well clearly this is a no brainer, it's obviously the prow at Wilton
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2370776
OP Robert Durran 06 Sep 2015
 Webster 06 Sep 2015

a second for dinas cromlech, but only from a climbers viewpoint (physically and mentally)
 Oceanrower 07 Sep 2015

IMHO, as a climber and a caver, I'll be very surprised if the finest rock formation in the UK is above ground!
 DerwentDiluted 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

> IMHO, as a climber and a caver, I'll be very surprised if the finest rock formation in the UK is above ground!

Titan?

I'd also suggest Fingals cave.
 LeeWood 07 Sep 2015
In reply to AdrianC:

> Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Devil's Slide yet.

I don't think slabs and walls will ever present true competition for features of a more phallic nature

(why the devil we aren't allowed winkies ...)
 steveriley 07 Sep 2015

The Cioch & Inn Pinn, both for sheer cheek.
 goose299 07 Sep 2015

Surprised Napes Needle had only been mentioned once.
 james.slater 07 Sep 2015

Never been, but Blackchurch in Devon is inspiring enough to make me want to visit!
Clauso 07 Sep 2015

How they manage to get the writing to go all the length of the inside of it.
 Tyler 07 Sep 2015
In reply to goose299:

> Surprised Napes Needle had only been mentioned once.

Surprised it's been mentioned at all
 Lemony 07 Sep 2015

Not for climbing but The Druid's idol at Brimham's pretty impressive/ridiculous.
 Tyler 07 Sep 2015

Can't believe the Giant's Causway, Kilnsey or the White Cliffs. Of Dover haven't been mentioned. Has Durdle Door?
OP Robert Durran 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Tyler:

> Surprised it's been mentioned at all

I'm surprised anyone even thought about mentioning it!
 The New NickB 07 Sep 2015
In reply to David Coley:

> Is Jersey in the UK?

No
 summo 07 Sep 2015

old man of hoy because it's truly unique. There are other stacks, but nothing of this scale.

Malham, Gordale, Kilnsey... they are all a little different, but there are 3 of them. Inn Pinn a little unique, but no more so than Napes, Troutdale, Longstone & Cioch. Devils is ok, but then Etive is worth three of them. Beside slabs are two a penny all over the place.
In reply to Clauso:

> How they manage to get the writing to go all the length of the inside of it.

Eh?
 goose299 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Tyler:

Birthplace of british rock climbing and all that
 Ramblin dave 07 Sep 2015

Poor joke, I think.

"It's like those sticks of rock: bite it all the way down, you'll still read Brighton."

In reply to summo:

> Old man of hoy because it's truly unique. There are other stacks, but nothing of this scale.

Yes, but a chossy pile of mostly muddy, sandy, slimy or fulmar-infested crap just doesn't do it for me.............I want something which impresses and inspires me as a climber.
 Jack Frost 07 Sep 2015
 ashtond6 07 Sep 2015

A few I like from the places I've been:

Gaia block
Dumbarton headwall
Right wall
Ben Nevis north face
The rainbow
 Ramblin dave 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Jack Frost:

I can't argue that it's impressive, but I might argue that a whole crag doesn't really count as a "rock feature"...

The Great Arch is a good shout, also some of the culm fins and the rainbow.
 Andy Moles 07 Sep 2015
I've seen some pretty inspiring photos of St Kilda and Boreray...mind you they look a bit birdy.

An t-Aigeach at Neist is worth a mention too...well it's better than Napes Needle anyway. And while we're on Skye, shout out to the Basteir Tooth, the Great Prow and Kilt Rock. And I guess some Torridonian stuff like Triple Buttress. Maybe not candidates for #1 but they're all pretty cool.
Post edited at 12:09
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> I can't argue that it's impressive, but I might argue that a whole crag doesn't really count as a "rock feature"...

The Central Slabs alone might count though - definitely the country's finest slab feature.
In reply to Andy Moles:

> And while we're on Skye, shout out to the Basteir Tooth, the Great Prow and Kilt Rock.

I think that while Sron Ulladale is the most impressive (from quite close up, below), the Basteir Tooth is the finest. That incredible slightly overhanging blade at 3000 ft asl can be seen from about 70 miles away. So keen was I on it (and the project of doing a route that wove it's way around the arete) that Mike Lates - when he finally did it - called it 'Gordon's Wet Dream' (Skye Guide, p.73). Of course the overhanging arete hasn't been done yet, and may never will. I few years ago I asked Dave Macleod about it, and he said, yes, he had his eye on it. ...

Andy Moles 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

For a bit of intrigue, I suggest you turn to Page 73 of Mike's guide and look closely...
In reply to Andy Moles:

I must say I find that guidebook description quite confusing. The line I intended to try was in fact the one now taken by Rainbow Warrior (3 on the photodiagram with a faint blue line, but I would almost certainly have tried the lower traverse line 3a, first). My idea was to have a 'romantic' stance on little ledge on the arete before the traverse left on the north face below the triangular overhang, and then to climb straight up more broken rock. It's a pity there isn't a diagram showing the north face of the Tooth.
 petestack 07 Sep 2015
In reply to summo:

> Inn Pinn a little unique, but no more so than Napes, Troutdale, Longstone & Cioch.

No, it's truly unique... when seen from the right angle as the natural continuation of An Stac and not just some kind of incongruous headstone, there's no mountain summit ridge in the UK to match it!
In reply to ashtond6:

> Ben Nevis north face

That's pushing it for a single rock feature. How about the whole Cuillin Ridge?

Chris H 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

> IMHO, as a climber and a caver, I'll be very surprised if the finest rock formation in the UK is above ground!

Good point - either sheer passage size - Time Machine / Gaping Ghyll or formations - OFD columns, antlers in Daren Cilau etc
 kwoods 07 Sep 2015

> Of course the overhanging arete hasn't been done yet, and may never will. I few years ago I asked Dave Macleod about it, and he said, yes, he had his eye on it. ...

I noticed a slight groove up to the left (looking up!) of the big square roof. Couldn't see anything on the roof (of course) but that corner I saw looked like there's mileage there and I don't think its been recorded yet...
 The Ivanator 07 Sep 2015
No mention yet for the Green Bridge of Wales? One of Pembroke's highlights and a contender for sure:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Green_Bridge_of_Wales_1...

Simon Caldwell 07 Sep 2015

+1 for the In Pinn.
 The New NickB 07 Sep 2015

> Yes, but a chossy pile of mostly muddy, sandy, slimy or fulmar-infested crap just doesn't do it for me.............I want something which impresses and inspires me as a climber.

It's still an impressive lump of rock! Actually, I found the quality of the rock to be surprising good and the climbing very enjoyable.

Another impressive feature of questionable rock quality would be the Old Man of Storr on Skye. Can be seen for miles, featured in Hollywood films etc.
 Goucho 07 Sep 2015

The Great Arete on Llech Ddu, back wall of Wen Zawn, The Great Prow on Blaven, the Arete of Edge of Extinction on the Brack, Great Wall Cloggy, Carn Dearg?
 GridNorth 07 Sep 2015
In reply to james.slater:

> Never been, but Blackchurch in Devon is inspiring enough to make me want to visit!

I did Savage God at Blackchurch a few weeks after it had been put up and that made me never want to visit again.

Al
 CurlyStevo 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Tyler:

have to agree

http://www.barbersasa.co.uk/scotland/assynt/pics/omstoer.jpg
http://www.unapoolhouse.co.uk/n/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Old-Man-of-Stoer...

old man of stoer makes napes needle look like a pin prick!
Post edited at 15:37
 BALD EAGLE 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Tyler:

Yes, quite absurd. A small, attractive detail stuck on the side of a mountain. The Great Prow of Blaven, in many ways finer and about 8 times bigger than NN, is likewise just one of many interesting features stuck on the side of a mountain. Nearby Clach Glas is arguably finer than the Great P.
 nicmac 07 Sep 2015

Well I googled the best cliff in the uk and this was one of the options
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=242132
In reply to The New NickB:

> It's still an impressive lump of rock! Actually, I found the quality of the rock to be surprising good and the climbing very enjoyable.

It seems to split opinion. The rock isn't actually loose, just mostly chossy. I thought it was a dreadful route. Worth the strain for the summit tick but would be neglected and barely worth a star at, say, Gogarth, let alone somewhere like Pabbay.

Lankyman 07 Sep 2015

'Rock feature' is such a general term that it would be impossible to define - anything made of rock would do! You need to be more specific - crag, pinnacle, stack, slab and so on. One of the most impressive UK rocky 'bits' I've seen is the Shelterstone by Loch Avon - it reminded me of places visited in the Wind Rivers, Creag an Dubh Loch slabs or gully wall, Etive Slabs, Pillar Rock, various 'Old Men'. However, topping everything else for sheer, unadulterated awe and wonder it has to be http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3293833
abseil 07 Sep 2015
In reply to nicmac:

> Well I googled the best cliff in the uk and this was one of the options

Right - the best Cliff - and also a rock feature.
In reply to Lankyman:

> 'Rock feature' is such a general term that it would be impossible to define - anything made of rock would do! You need to be more specific - crag, pinnacle, stack, slab and so on.

I was thinking of a feature within a crag (though stacks or pinnacles would also do) not a whole crag, that would impress and inspire us as climbers (not necessarily to the general public as well).
 crustypunkuk 07 Sep 2015

Not an individual feature as such, but more of a coastline full of stunning feature, the Shetland coast up at Eshaness is just astonishingly beautiful and with so much potential. Faces, stacks and arches all relatively unclimbed.
 FactorXXX 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but my project on the Basteir Tooth took the line shown in the two pics below, pitches 1 and 2 left from Naismith's Route (solid red line), with X a stance on the arete. I think my projected line is pretty much Rainbow Warrior, though I'm not sure about pitch 2. Anyhow, twenty years on, I'm rather astounded that I've never heard any more about it, apart from Mike's guide. Surely this obvious potential mega-classic must be something many people would want to climb? I'm a bit surprised it's E3. I always had the fantasy that it would go at about HVS/E1.

Anyhow, I'm longing to hear a first-hand account from anyone who's done it.

http://www.gordonstainforthbelper.co.uk/images/GordonsDream1.jpg
http://www.gordonstainforthbelper.co.uk/images/GordonsDreamTop.jpg

In reply to Andy Moles:

Two more pictures, then I'll shut up

http://www.gordonstainforthbelper.co.uk/images/am-basteir.jpg
The romantic 'belay ledge'/stance very obvious here.

http://www.gordonstainforthbelper.co.uk/images/basteir-tooth2.jpg
Another angle of the route I wanted to do.
In reply to Jack Frost:

That's an extraordinary picture - makes quite a familiar place look very different.

In reply to the OP: it's a cliche and all, but it has to be the Old Man of Hoy, doesn't it? It depends what you mean by 'finest', obviously.

jcm
 alan moore 08 Sep 2015

Have given this a lot of thought and I'm pretty sure it's Ramshaw Rocks.
 BnB 08 Sep 2015

Very surprised that the Core Laggan face (in its entirety) of Sron Na Ciche hasn't received more support.
 summo 08 Sep 2015
In reply to petestack:

> No, it's truly unique... when seen from the right angle as the natural continuation of An Stac and not just some kind of incongruous headstone, there's no mountain summit ridge in the UK to match it!

unique purely because it's on a summit., but it is not that big, it only stands 17m proud of the ground around it etc. interesting, nice, but not special when compared to a 100m+ sea stack.

Andy Moles 08 Sep 2015
> Anyhow, twenty years on, I'm rather astounded that I've never heard any more about it, apart from Mike's guide. Surely this obvious potential mega-classic must be something many people would want to climb?

Combination of factors I imagine, such as:

1) being right at the top of an often wet mountain
2) being a mountain route on Skye that's not on Sron na Ciche (the classic E3s on Eastern Buttress don't even get done that much)
3) being on a crag with a notable gap between Severe and E3

I'd love to get up there, among a million other things I'd love to do. Captain Planet would probably be first choice but the positions on your line do look incredible.

Post edited at 08:12
 felt 08 Sep 2015
In reply to Andy Moles:

> I've seen some pretty inspiring photos of St Kilda and Boreray...mind you they look a bit birdy.

Yes, I like Stac Lee from this particular angle:
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff217/dodgyknee/stk28Medium.jpg

A bit birdy indeed... You'd need dedicated guanodons and slime-picks.
 petestack 08 Sep 2015
In reply to summo:

> unique purely because it's on a summit.,

No, it's not *on* a summit, it *is* a summit! The summit of the An Stac ridge and the summit of the mountain...

> but it is not that big, it only stands 17m proud of the ground around it etc.

Read what I said again and look at that whole ridge...

> interesting, nice, but not special when compared to a 100m+ sea stack.

As above.

Simon Caldwell 08 Sep 2015
In reply to BnB:

> Very surprised that the Core Laggan face (in its entirety) of Sron Na Ciche hasn't received more support.

A bit big to count as a "feature". Though I was tempted to nominate the Cuillin Ridge as a whole!
In reply to petestack:

Agreed re An Stac/In Pin ridge. Perhaps the finest of its type in UK (only other contenders are Clach Glas and Pinnacle Ridge of SNG). Nonsense comment about In Pin only standing 17m proud of the 'ground'. That 'ground' plunges awa very steeply on either side for thousands of feet, so that it's one of the most exposed pieces of rock in Britain. Ditto An Stac, which I think is the most exposed scramble I've ever soloed (apart perhaps top of Clach Glas).

Here's a nice shot of it in winter:

https://ukc2.com/i/85510.jpg
 summo 08 Sep 2015

> Agreed re An Stac/In Pin ridge. Perhaps the finest of its type in UK (only other contenders are Clach Glas and Pinnacle Ridge of SNG). Nonsense comment about In Pin only standing 17m proud of the 'ground'. That 'ground' plunges awa very steeply on either side for thousands of feet, so that it's one of the most exposed pieces of rock in Britain. Ditto An Stac, which I think is the most exposed scramble I've ever soloed (apart perhaps top of Clach Glas).

Some might consider you to be a tiny bit biased?

In reply to summo:

Maybe; but I challenge anyone to suggest any scrambles in the UK that are finer than the ones I've mentioned.
 summo 08 Sep 2015

> Maybe; but I challenge anyone to suggest any scrambles in the UK that are finer than the ones I've mentioned.

the debate is 'rock feature', not scramble, or mountain summit. Although some are all three. If it wasn't also a munro, perhaps a mere Corbett and not on the cuillin ridge, would it still get so many votes, probably not. It's location is the voter bringer, not the rock feature itself.

Mr. Lee 08 Sep 2015
In reply to summo:

> the debate is 'rock feature', not scramble, or mountain summit. Although some are all three. If it wasn't also a munro, perhaps a mere Corbett and not on the cuillin ridge, would it still get so many votes, probably not. It's location is the voter bringer, not the rock feature itself.

Well, I know (we got slightly sidetracked there). That's why I nominated the Basteir Tooth as the finest, which isn't a scramble at all. An Stac/In Pin also happens to be an exceptionally fine rock feature - a rather extraordinary 'fin' of harder gabbro that's over a 1000 feet high.
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> Reckon Hoy must be the winner ultimately but something at Culm is probably second for me and equally unique. Maybe Lower Sharpnose Point but maybe there are even more impressive features that I am not aware of.

I think we somehow have to consider sea cliff and inland rock features separately. Our coast is full of stupendous cliff features and sea stacks, and the 'king' of these is undoubtedly the Old Man of Hoy. But I think we're also interested in the question 'what is the finest inland rock feature?'
 wercat 08 Sep 2015

I don't think there is any single feature, but I'd like to add to the list The Triple Buttress of Ben Eighe, probably Liathach itself and the formation on which the Applecross Cioch Nose exists. As well as the formations to be seen above the Bealach na Ba.
 Mr. Lee 08 Sep 2015

Tourist figures would suggest Stonehenge is the winner
 planetmarshall 08 Sep 2015

> I've been wondering what really is the country's finest or most impressive rock feature.

Probably 'This Is Spinal Tap', though strictly speaking it was an American production and cast, so I'll probably go with the "Bad News Tour".

timjones 08 Sep 2015

The 1st pitch is only compromised by the ease of the climbing, the 2nd and the final ptich are excellent. Granted the other pitches are sandy but if you have trouble with Fulmars you need to be a bit more imaginative with your choice of season to climb it in.
In reply to wercat:

> I don't think there is any single feature, but I'd like to add to the list The Triple Buttress of Ben Eighe, probably Liathach itself and the formation on which the Applecross Cioch Nose exists. As well as the formations to be seen above the Bealach na Ba.

Liathach is extraordinary, as is Suilven, but these are still extraordinary mountains rather than extraordinary rock features, which really does suggest something a lot smaller than the massive Liathach.
 CurlyStevo 08 Sep 2015
In reply to summo:

> the debate is 'rock feature', not scramble, or mountain summit. Although some are all three. If it wasn't also a munro, perhaps a mere Corbett and not on the cuillin ridge, would it still get so many votes, probably not. It's location is the voter bringer, not the rock feature itself.

I agree you can't include the whole mountain as a rock feature. the inn pinn doesn't stand that proud from the rest of the mountain.
 Shapeshifter 08 Sep 2015

How about that big arete at Minas Tirith - not been myself but I think it's somewhere in mid-Wales or was it Scotland...or....Lancashire?

http://orig08.deviantart.net/6108/f/2013/143/f/9/minas_tirith_hd_by_lexgoom...

Brilliant feature, superb exposed climbing apparently, with added bonus of an easy walk off the top.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> the inn pinn doesn't stand that proud from the rest of the mountain.

I disagree, it's clearly visible from several miles away
 CurlyStevo 08 Sep 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

The point being that Gordon was including the drops either side of it, which I don't think adds up. Although I guess the position of the rock feature could be considered as important as the feature it's self?
 Ann S 08 Sep 2015

Got to be the Minack theatre in Cornwall. Hell of a lot of rock shifted to make that.
 summo 08 Sep 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> I disagree, it's clearly visible from several miles away

So is Dumbarton, but I wouldn't quite put them in the same league.
 CurlyStevo 08 Sep 2015
In reply to summo:

I guess if you took the inn pin and put it in the sea, hoy and stoer would be better!
 summo 08 Sep 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> I guess if you took the inn pin and put it in the sea, hoy and stoer would be better!

It would look like the island just by bosigram. Pretty to look at whilst belaying, but nothing inspirational.
In reply to CurlyStevo:

But it would have none of the exposure. Have you soloed An Stac/In Pin btw?
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Although I guess the position of the rock feature could be considered as important as the feature it's self?

Definitely.
drmarten 08 Sep 2015
 Wft 08 Sep 2015

clippity clippity clippity clop
 summo 08 Sep 2015

> But it would have none of the exposure. Have you soloed An Stac/In Pin btw?

yes, have you soloed the Old Man of Hoy?
 petestack 08 Sep 2015
> Agreed re An Stac/In Pin ridge. Perhaps the finest of its type in UK (only other contenders are Clach Glas and Pinnacle Ridge of SNG).

Yep, exactly the comparisons I'd have made...

> Nonsense comment about In Pin only standing 17m proud of the 'ground'. That 'ground' plunges awa very steeply on either side for thousands of feet, so that it's one of the most exposed pieces of rock in Britain. Ditto An Stac, which I think is the most exposed scramble I've ever soloed (apart perhaps top of Clach Glas).

Because the In Pinn and An Stac are indivisible, one and the same!

In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Although I guess the position of the rock feature could be considered as important as the feature it's self?

Bingo! You can't meaningfully consider the In Pinn here as anything other than the summit of both An Stac and the mountain. It's not just some bizarre, isolated, 'short' blade, but the integral top of a truly startling mountain ridge from which it should never have been separated by that superfluous, fanciful, Victorian name. So, no, I'm not necessarily claiming it's the UK's finest rock feature, but how anyone deny from photos like these (just Googled and not mine) that it's contextually different from 'Napes, Troutdale, Longstone' etc.?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulsammonds/2555231025/
https://willcopestakemedia.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/img_5114.jpg?w=960
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5459/8783495883_8d797f9ea1_b.jpg
Post edited at 17:43
 Andy Moles 08 Sep 2015
In reply to petestack:

> Because the In Pinn and An Stac are indivisible, one and the same!

I'd say the 500-odd people who climb the Pin for every one that climbs the east ridge of An Stac divide them quite effectively. I heart the Pin and all, just sayin'.
 Kid Spatula 09 Sep 2015

It's Gordale. Hands down.
 planetmarshall 09 Sep 2015

> I was thinking of a feature within a crag (though stacks or pinnacles would also do) not a whole crag,

The 'penis' hold on Incubator (HS 4b).
 planetmarshall 09 Sep 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> I guess if you took the inn pin and put it in the sea, hoy and stoer would be better!

Well yes, and if you took the Old Man of Hoy and laid it on its side, no one would bother to climb it.
 BnB 09 Sep 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Or Thomas!! Thomas (S 4a)

Michael Gordon 12 Sep 2015

Depends how large a scale you're going with this rock feature, and if you're more concerned with form alone or whether the climbing needs to be good.

I'm tempted to nominate Tower Ridge as one of the very best rock features, if not the best. It's absolutely unique in the UK in terms of it's scale and form - THE line up the biggest mountain amphitheatre around.
 S Andrew 13 Sep 2015
The pillar on Spantastic.

Sean Kelly 13 Sep 2015

I can't believe that this has not been mentioned by now. It's bigger than OMof H. Inn Pin, GAofPabbay and the Napes.... I'm talking Tower Ridge, but I know that for most of the year the rock is hidden under layers of snow!
 Al Evans 14 Sep 2015

Have you doneit? It isn't just like you are describing it, it is the single most adventurous route in the UK with a lot of quality climbing.
 kylo-342 14 Sep 2015

Dun Mingulay?
OP Robert Durran 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

> Have you done it? It isn't just like you are describing it, it is the single most adventurous route in the UK with a lot of quality climbing.

If you are referring to the Old Man of Hoy, then yes, I have done it just a few weeks ago. A big disappointment having looked forward to it since I started climbing. Not even particularly adventurous by sea stack standards (no swim, lots of in situ gear). Anything on Dun Mingulay feels far more adventurous. And has quality climbing.....

pebblespanker 21 Sep 2015

The feature taken by Dariada on the Cobbler impressed me more for location wow factor than Malham. To be even handed if the Dalriada butress were not stuck on top of a mountain it would still be impressive in the same way Partheon Shot or the Wimberry Prow is but far less gob-smacking
 summo 21 Sep 2015

kilt rock is pretty unique too, top ten perhaps, but not number 1.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...