UKC

What makes you feel you have had a good year

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 keith sanders 07 Sep 2015
I don't think I've had a Good climbing year, all though so far I have had 2 weeks in Kalymnos, 2 weeks straight after in France, 2 months in Spain, 6 weeks in France and on my second 5 weeks in France, various crags around the UK trying to chase the weather. Is it that the weather has been bad or am I not achiveing.
I also have had lots of different injury's from Lymm's disease, pain in lower back, and cartilage problem on my knee. I accept those are to do with age and over use.
So why do I think this and what makes your year a good year.

BarrySW19 07 Sep 2015
In reply to keith sanders:

First HS lead in the spring, and first VS lead recently, and first 6c+ indoors. Plus all bodily bits still whole and functioning makes it a pretty successful year so far.
OP keith sanders 07 Sep 2015
In reply to BarrySW19:

Keep it going Barry your doing well lad.
 GridNorth 07 Sep 2015

The weeks in France, Spain and Greece don't count if you are lying on a beach though Keith.

My year has been crap. 61 routes in all and most of those were in Kalymnos in April. Since then I've had 3 great days in the Lakes (7 routes), one good day in Avon (4 routes). Just heading off to Pembroke this afternoon so hopefully I can redeem something before heading off back to Kalymnos in October. It's been a combination of bad weather and/or lack of partners. Physically I'm fine but motivation is most definitely an issue these days.

Al

Got my climbing mojo back after a torrid 2014 climbing. Now feeling confident again. So a good year for me.
 GridNorth 07 Sep 2015
I didn't answer your question. A good year for me would have been more quality routes climbed competently at a reasonable standard without feeling I'm pushing the boat out. For me that 's currently about E1/E2. A great year would have been if I could have hit E4 and f7a before they disappear over the swiftly looming age horizon. Good call by the way RE joining the CC facebook page, it seems to be working for me.

Al
Post edited at 13:53
 Jon Stewart 07 Sep 2015

A good year for me would involve

- climbing a lot of good routes, i.e. big, adventurous trad routes
- climbing routes at my top grade, or breaking a new trad grade (becoming increasingly harder of course as time goes on);
- improving at something, even if that was sport or bouldering (the eventual aim of which would be to climb harder trad routes)
- climbing in new areas that are brilliant

None of that has happened this year - but it has been a 'year off' serious climbing as I've had other things take priority for a bit. Next year I plan to train my way back to full fitness (I've kept strength up by bouldering a bit) and venture out of the UK, as well as see some 'new' bits of Scotland. Will hopefully be a good year - but this all depends unfortunately on work going right.
 andrewmc 07 Sep 2015
Just getting out and climbing a lot, which I am just about learning how to do (be persistent at getting out every weekend you can!). Last year I intended to get out a lot but didn't get out as much as I should have. I don't really care if I only do easy stuff or not, as long as I am doing new stuff and fun stuff (last year was easy DWS, this year has been Snowdonia). Mostly quantity for me really.
Post edited at 14:25
 summo 07 Sep 2015

the 6 and 8yr old kids both doing 3+/Vdiff+ on rock and loving it. (ie no parental pressure). My rock aspirations are on hold temporarily for a brief pause due to adult responsibility, which will no doubt wear off in the coming years.
 HeMa 07 Sep 2015

In the past, I've always measured my years of climbing by the amount and also progression in the grade ladder.

But since this spring I managed to break quite a few pulleys on my hand and had to stop climbing for pretty much the whole summer... I've changed my mind a bit.

If I manage to climb that year, well then it was a good year.
 gribble 07 Sep 2015

Same as Summo - my climbing has tapered off this year - nothing more than HVS, and not enough trips due to untimely weather mainly. Mojo seems to have slipped a little. However, on the plus side I suspect it is due to focussing on my 8 year old daughter's climbing. This year she has seconded lots up to severe (and an HVS), learned to lead and belay and has done several multi-pitch routes including Bosigran ridge. I'm looking forward to the day she can start climbing harder stuff so I can catch up again!
 Flinticus 07 Sep 2015

The usual 'oldish' age curse: all the time but health issues.

That's nearly half the year away against my two weeks.

Whereas I only pulled a shoulder this year.
 jsmcfarland 07 Sep 2015

Did my first E2, E3 and E4 this year after recovering from serious elbow tendonosis : ) Going to write a blog about the whole thing at some point
 Bulls Crack 07 Sep 2015

It rather depends on whether you set yourself targets and are driven by those or are just there to have a good time. Both affect me but a sanguine approach helps if life intervenes and expectations aren't reached!
 deacondeacon 07 Sep 2015
It's been a great year so far. Haven't climbed my hardest this year and haven't climbed as much as previous years (although admittedly I doubt I'll ever get 1000 ticks in a year again), but climbed with old and new friends went on some cool trips.
Anyway the grit season will be here soon, we're only really halfway through the year
 Rick Graham 07 Sep 2015

A good year for me if when you have done better than the previous year.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Sep 2015

I think I have had a pretty good year so far, over 300 routes done, a few new climbing areas visited (Corsica & Peloponnese), plenty of time in old haunts (the Peak, Kalymnos and Ariège), touristing to Ireland and Arctic Norway/Sweden. Not been very fit but have been healthy which is better!

Still four months to go and we have booked trips to Briancon, Orpierre and Kaly (again).

Saw the new Eastern Grit published (selling like hot aches!) and 65 in less than three weeks - actually not sure the last one is a plus-point - but it is unavoidable

Chris
 ralphio 07 Sep 2015

I've had a good year if I climb 100 or more new routes and/or increase my onsight grade.
 CurlyStevo 07 Sep 2015

Well at least you didn't move to Scotland just to get a knee injury at the start of the 'summer'!
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Hi Chris.
65 is a bonus as the extra pension means more holls, Followed your where abouts with envie maybe I need more places to travel to, but I love the Languedoc.
In reply to Rick Graham:

But are you doing better than the last year Rick is work getting in the way? you seam to be better to me.
 Rick Graham 07 Sep 2015

Work never gets in the way of quality, just quantity.
In reply to Rick Graham:

I guess you could be right Rick, Quality counts abouve all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...