UKC

camp tricams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 07 Sep 2015
Whilst looking at gear shop websites for some dragon cams I noticed a shop selling Camp tricams like these
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tricams.side.JPG
I suppose I was vaguely aware you could still buy them and I know they've been around for decades but I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone using them.
Does anybody still use them and what for? Haven't they been totally superceded by SLCD's and has anybody actually fallen on one?
They aren't even cheap!
 Hephaestus 07 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

Good for shot holes and pockets and work in cracks. I've definitely placed them, but don't think I've actually fallen on one.
What's an slcd?
 d_b 07 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

Yes, they are still useful. There's nothing quite like them for pockets and shallow breaks.
 Timmd 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Hephaestus:

Spring Loaded Cam-ing Device ?
 Timmd 07 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

I've heard they can be good in icy cracks when ice climbing, in situations where the pivot can get through to something solid, with the curve already being able to presumably.
 Rob Parsons 07 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

> Does anybody still use them and what for?

Yes. In sizes 0.5 and 1 I find them really useful for pockets and small horizontal slots.

> Haven't they been totally superceded by SLCD's ...

No. ('Superseded' btw.)

> ... and has anybody actually fallen on one?

I haven't. But I have no doubt they'd work: getting them out after a fall might be a struggle though!

> They aren't even cheap!

So what?

humptydumpty 07 Sep 2015
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> > They aren't even cheap!

> So what?

Cheap safety equipment is always the best!
 Hooo 07 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

I love them. They're great for limestone pockets. The sort of places where you wouldn't get a cam in, or it wouldn't stay there.
I haven't fallen on one, but I've held a fall onto one. When you get a good placement they feel really solid and inspire confidence.
 Ashley 07 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

I use them. They're more versatile than cams as they can double up as a nut too, they're lighter than cams, they can be 'persuaded' to stay put once placed and so won't walk, they're cheaper than cams. What's not to like!

Admittedly they can be a bit fiddly to place sometimes and can be a bugger to remove.
 Tom.Priestley 08 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

Have fallen on them and have caught falls on them. They have a narrower head than any cam of similar size so great for pockets and the tape sling is more flexible than any cable so good for horizontal cracks. Only problem is that the camming range of each one is limited when compared to proper cams.

Tbh i think there best compared to large wires as they weigh the same. I carry them instead of a second set of large wires 7-11 on big routes. In this respect they are awesome. Passively i find they fit more odd places than a set of offsets and actively they make up for when you have used your cam of that size and nothing else will do.

Only downside is that while placing them one handed is easy they often need two hands or some nut key skills to clean.
 tjin 08 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

Pretty handy in those tiny pockets or if you run out of normal cams. Sometimes as lightweight alternatives for some nut/cams when you doubt you will need them, but still want something just in case.

If you buy them, get the new 'EVO' ones, they have a extra tapered sized, compared to the old ones and have stiffer slings.
 d_b 08 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

Arguably there is only one truly camp tricam, the rest are just made by Camp.
 Andypeak 08 Sep 2015
In reply to tjin:

Rock Empire also make them on wire. I've never used either but if a stiffer sling is good wire might be even better.
 zebidee 08 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

They're great for pissing off your second when he has to strip them from the route.
 SDM 08 Sep 2015
In reply to andy.smythe:

I don't find the shape of the Rock Empire ones to be particularly useful, they almost never get placed and can't really double up as nuts. They are also a nightmare to remove.

The Camp tricams are much more versatile and get placed far more often.
 Busby 08 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

Just been directed to his thread by my partner who despises Tricams, sadly for him I love em!

Especially when I get to do a while route with then just to piss him off....

Very versatile bits of kit but they do require a bit of practise to get good with, as folk have said they'll fit shot holes (or scaffold pipes) where simply nothing else will go.

I've added some plastic piping round the cord to make them a bit easier to place.

As for falls, assuming its placed right they won't budge, I've tried. Also come out no hassles as long as you beat it into your second that they need to push then back first.

Awesome bits of kit, everyone should have em...
 Cerris90 08 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

Use them loads. Most versatile piece of kit on my rack.
OP pec 08 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

Well, it seems they have their fans then. Odd that I've never known anybody own any, let alone use them nor even seen anybody carrying them.
I'd always regarded them as one of those niche bits of kit which is probably essential for a few routes somewhere (like amigos are on Master's edge) but 99% of the time something else is better and 0.9% of the time something else will do and thought that along with hexes, Friends had made them largely obsolete.
 andrewmc 09 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:
They can't be that niche; they sell them in Go Outdoors :P
Post edited at 09:26
 tehmarks 09 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

The pink one is one of the most useful bits of gear I own.
 Andy Morley 09 Sep 2015
In reply to pec:

I've fallen on one. Yes, it was hard to get out afterwards, but to be honest, no other piece of gear would have gone in where this did, so given the choice, I'm glad we struggled to get it out because it was a whole lot better than the alternative would have been!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...