UKC

Multimat Superlite Air Opinions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ned taylor 08 Sep 2015
Hi

I've come round to wanting one of these fancy new air-filled sleeping mats, and I was hoping some people had opinions on the Multimat Superlite Air.

Judging on price (£50) and weight (330g), it would seem to be one of the better options. Cheaper than the Thermarest NeoAir XLite (£90 & 350g) which would be my default choice I suppose.

http://www.multimat.uk.com/store/products/superlite-air

Can anyone talk me into buying one?
 psaunders 08 Sep 2015
In reply to ned taylor:

Looks pretty much the same as the Alpkit numo, which now (I think) has no insulation in it as they had problems with it delaminating. Those are only £35.

In my experience, all mats like these wear out quite quickly in one way or another. Generally they suffer from delamination / movement of the insulation or develop slow leaks over large regions of the fabric, which are therefore not fixable.

They're very comfortable and I'm looking for a new one myself but, whatever you get, make sure it has a warranty and don't expect it to last as long as a self-inflating mat.
 Wheelsy 08 Sep 2015
In reply to ned taylor:

I have one of these mats.

On the plus side, it's very light and packs up very small. When you are laid flat on it it's very comfy and I haven't been particularly cold at any time, although I've mostly used it in and around the summer months. It doesn't appear to be as fragile as it first looks - I don't feel like I've taken particularly great care over mine and it's still fine.

As the for negatives, it seems to take bloody ages to blow up and then roll away again, and when you do anything other than lay on it (e.g. sit up on it whilst you sort your kit out) all the air is squished to either side and you end up with a cold backside. It also feels quite high and it's a pain to get back onto when you roll off it in your sleeping bag. I'm also finding that the more I use it the more condensation forms inside from blowing it up - I can't seem to find a way of getting rid of this.

Hope this helps,

Wheelsy
ayer 09 Sep 2015
Hadn't seen the Multimat before.
Looks like it saves weight by not having any insulation?
 andrewmc 09 Sep 2015
In reply to ned taylor:
I could talk you into buying anything NeoAir, which is superbly comfortable - outrageously so - and much warmer per weight than anything else (only the Exped Downmats come close)...

The NeoAir XLite is more than three times as insulating (according to brief googling), and I'm told Thermarests' customer service is excellent.

Caveat - I have the XTherm, not the XLite, but the comfort should be the same I think.
Post edited at 09:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...