UKC

Half ropes annoyance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ban1 09 Sep 2015
why are half ropes sold separately?

i have been looking at buying half ropes as im liking trad more but all the websites sell them on their own.

also what length would be better for peak district.
 DaveHK 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:
Rope numbers are falling around the world and so the UIAA have decreed a quota of one half rope per climber. It is hoped that this will allow more to survive to adulthood, breed and therefore replenish stocks.
Post edited at 17:51
 CurlyStevo 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:
> why are half ropes sold separately?

In case one is lost or needs replacement, or if you just pair yours with your climbing partners

> i have been looking at buying half ropes as im liking trad more but all the websites sell them on their own.

Nope incorrect - search for half rope pair deal

> also what length would be better for peak district.

25 metres is more than enough Seriously though go for 50 or 60, 60 if you will do much in the mountains especially Scottish Winter / Alps. If you really will only use them on grit you could consider less than 50 even.
Post edited at 17:52
OP Ban1 09 Sep 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

got to love UKC forum.

Mr Trebus 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:

Spotted a really good pair deal the other day.

http://www.outletinn.com/index.php?action=ver_detalle_producto&id_model...

I bought a 50m triple for £50. It is hard to beat those prices.
Al
 neuromancer 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:

Are you SURE that's a triple?
 Neil Williams 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:

Because each climber can buy one, then when two get together to climb they use both of them?
 Mr Trebus 09 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

That's not the triple, just a good pair deal.

The triple deal is below.
http://www.outletinn.com/deals/millet-absolutte-trx-9-mm-green/575269/p

CurlyStevo 09 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Pretty sure it isn't!
 neuromancer 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:

My confusion clearly there because you said £50!
 Mr Trebus 09 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:
> My confusion clearly there because you said £50!

Yup, it is a real bargain!
 neuromancer 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:

Sorry trebus - where is the triple for 50?
 Mr Trebus 09 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

> Sorry trebus - where is the triple for 50?

http://www.outletinn.com/deals/millet-absolutte-trx-9-mm-green/575269/p
 Mark Eddy 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:

I have a pair of 40's that are more than adequate for Peak / Lakes / Wales. Unless you're heading towards winter climbing stay away from 60's - they're extra weight and extra faff
 spenser 09 Sep 2015
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

I will make a suggestion that you should get a 60m half rope and fold it in two, you tie in to both ends and your second ties into the middle. I have been caught out once or twice trying to build a belay with a folded 50m.
Best deal I have seen was the meteor rope at needlesports which is fantastic.
 Ramblin dave 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:

Odd question - can you not just click the "+" button next to the items count in your shopping basket?

Like others have said, though - sometimes one gets knackered and needs replacing, often people just own one and rely on the person they're climbing with to provide the other.

For Peak Grit a single 50m or 60m half is fine anyway since you can climb on it doubled over. This may lead to you shouting things like "take on blue... no... the other blue", and is a bit of a faff with two seconds, but saves you the immense task of carrying two lightweight ropes along the 100m flat path from the car park to the crag.
 pec 09 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:

Because if you're given too much rope you might hang yourself.

OP Ban1 10 Sep 2015

In reply to Pec
Official suicide watch.
Who wants to take turns watching pec
Post edited at 07:33
J1234 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:
I have a pair of 30m half ropes for peak, dales and most quarries, I find this ideal.
I personally do not like belaying or being belayed on a folded rope as I find it confusing, and I think my belayer will, I do not like my belayer to be confused.
For British Trad Lakes Wales etc a 50m, a 60m IME is a pain people will witter on how great they are but they take more pulling in are generally heavier, and clutter the belay, you will often find that people with 60m ropes are winter climbers who are too mean to buy two ropes or people who bought a 60m because it was on a deal.
Winter climbing and foreign trad a 60m.

People will say other things, but they are wrong
Your first reply is actually very near the mark, ropes do breed, they are doing under my bed at home, I also have a selection of sports ropes.
Post edited at 08:04
 CurlyStevo 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:
That's a different rope you linked to an 8.5mm originally not a 9mm. i went and checked the 8.5 on the millet website and there didn't seem to be any mention of it being triple rated!
Post edited at 08:03
 Luke90 10 Sep 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

That's exactly what he said!

In his first post, he linked to a pair deal on a half rope which was what OP wanted. In the same post, he mentioned that personally he'd bought a triple-rated rope from that shop for a bargain price.

Various people misunderstood and thought he was suggesting that the rope he'd linked to was a triple, so he then posted the link to the actual rope that he'd bought.
 CurlyStevo 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Luke90:

Yeah I can see that now, however his first post was very ambiguous and it was as well to point out the 8.5mm wasn't triple rated as the op may also have misunderstood this.
 fenski 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:

Anybody got an opinion on the quality, handling etc of these Millet ropes???

They have 2 offers for half ropes, either the Rubix or Alpine. Which would be preferred for alpine and multi-pitch rock climbing??

This looks like a good deal for a pair of half ropes
 neuromancer 10 Sep 2015
In reply to fenski:

The 8.5 is 50 and would be perfect for the UK and also suitable for lots of alpine stuff if you don't mind carrying the weight.

The 7.9 comes in both 50 and 60 and would be perfect for big things in scotland and the alps and winter, but too thin to be durable enough for regular british dogging trad use.
 tehmarks 10 Sep 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

> The 7.9 comes in both 50 and 60 and would be perfect for big things in scotland and the alps and winter, but too thin to be durable enough for regular british dogging trad use.

I firmly believe that it's remiss of Millet to not advertise the 7.9mm as 'not suitable for dogging'.

neuromancer 10 Sep 2015
In reply to tehmarks:
Well, I mean I guess you could be into fet/dom dogging?

Seems a bit of a palava really. What would you tie them to - the head-rests?
Post edited at 14:47
 timjones 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Reggie Perrin:

> For British Trad Lakes Wales etc a 50m, a 60m IME is a pain people will witter on how great they are but they take more pulling in are generally heavier, and clutter the belay, you will often find that people with 60m ropes are winter climbers who are too mean to buy two ropes

"Too mean"! It must be nice to be able to pontificate from the position of someone who is able to afford multiple ropes to cover different disciplines ;(
 top cat 11 Sep 2015
In reply to timjones:

> "Too mean"! It must be nice to be able to pontificate from the position of someone who is able to afford multiple ropes to cover different disciplines ;(

Drink less, buy more rope. I'm tee-total and have 890m [I kid you not!] in various lengths )
 krikoman 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:

Because they are not socks.
Andy Gamisou 12 Sep 2015
In reply to DaveHK:
> Rope numbers are falling around the world and so the UIAA have decreed a quota of one half rope per climber. It is hoped that this will allow more to survive to adulthood, breed and therefore replenish stocks.

Surely if you buy and store them in pairs they are more likely to breed?
Post edited at 05:50
 timjones 12 Sep 2015
In reply to top cat:

> Drink less, buy more rope. I'm tee-total and have 890m [I kid you not!] in various lengths )

Each to their own. I think I'll carry on enjoying an occasional beer and with with a few extra metres of rope at stances
 TobyA 12 Sep 2015

> Winter climbing and foreign trad a 60m.

> People will say other things, but they are wrong

I climbed foreign trad weekly for many years and I'm afraid you're completely wrong. 35 mtrs of thin single is what you want.

mishabruml 12 Sep 2015
In reply to fenski:

I would also like to know this, that is an outrageous deal!
 Kemics 12 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:

I personally use a 30 meter single rope for climbing gritstone.

If you're using 60 (or even 50 meter) doubles you very quickly can work out you've coiled and flaked a few miles of unused rope over even a few weekends climbing!

Ysgo 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:

Buy a pair of 8-8.5mm 60s. Every shop gives some discount for buying a pair. Cut them in half, and keep one half for grit trad, and sell the other half for as much as possible offering no discount. You then have a nearly free pair of grit ropes. Perfect.
 Geordie Jeans 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Ban1:

Buy 1 60m rope and cut it in half. Then you have two 30m trad ropes.
J1234 15 Sep 2015
In reply to TobyA:
> I climbed foreign trad weekly for many years and I'm afraid you're completely wrong.

Well it would depend on where your going of course but as this is UKC , I am talking about where UK climbers often go t Alps Dollies and Morrocco IME a 60m is ideal, obviously in your experience a 35m was ideal, but to say I am completely wrong is completely wrong.
Post edited at 10:13
 TobyA 15 Sep 2015

Yes, I wasn't be completely serious, but you were the one who said "wrong" first. I'm not actually sure where "UKC" thinks "foreign trad" is - my sense is most will think of the US first, although perhaps Norway is catching up as a trad destination these days. But, yeah, I've been vaguely annoyed for years when people talk about climbing in "Europe", when actually what they mean is French and Spanish limestone sport climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...