UKC

"Safe" E4s in Yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Todd 10 Sep 2015
Looking for suggestions for safe E4s in Yorkshire. Don't mind running it out but nothing with ground fall potential. Have done The Great Santini (E4 6a) at Dovestones and have Wellington Crack (E4 5c) at Ilkley on the list already.

Happy with grit or lime.

Cheers.
 Dave Warburton 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

York Lime
Butcher's Dog (E4 6a) - Kilnsey
Worlds In Collision (E4 5c) (P1) - Kilnsey

North York Moors
Psychosis (E4 6a) - Smugglers Terrace
Mane Vision (E4 6b) - Round Crag
Stargazer (E3 5c) - Highcliffe Nab
Time Captain (E4 5c) (sustained, pumpy, small cams required - used to get E2...maybe it still is?!) - Ingleby Incline
Stratagem (E5 6b) - Ravens Scar

Yorks Grit
Flame Arete (E5 6b) - Hawkcliffe
Eavestone Crack (E4 6a) - Eavestone
 Rick Graham 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

Slender Loris. 2.5 and 3 friend in upper breaks?
 Theo Moore 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

Grand illusion at arms cliff is a corker.

Theo Moore 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

also Arries Ook at almscliff is really good. the start is a bit highball but fine with a pad. If you're lucky there will be loads of cow shite at the bottom to break your fall!
 climberchristy 10 Sep 2015
In reply to theomoore:
Quite agree with Grand Illusion! Possibly soft end of E4 (?) but what a great line with a really safe fall-out zone. Brill!
Post edited at 19:36
 Bob 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

See the OP's original offerings
 pacman 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

Slender Loris (E4 6a) at Malham is brilliant, might be something for you up on the Terrace as well?
Grand Illusion (E4 5c)
Master Spy (E4 6a) at Wilton 1 just across the border
Bob Hope (E4 6a) at Dovestones Edge
Heptonstall Quarry probably worth a visit as well
 Ally Smith 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

Central Wall (E4 6a), Kilnsey
Phil Ev 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

You been on All Quiet yet mike? Its proper good and safe, Grand Illusion is only E4 if you do All Quiet first!

Grit Expectations is safe but tough to onsight. Jokers Wall safe after bouldering the start. True Grit

Death Drop 2000 at caley as a high ball is mint too.

Cheers

Phil
OP Mike Todd 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Phil Ev:

Not yet.. yeah i thought Grand Illusion gets E3 in the new(ish) guide.

Will have a look at the other suggestions

Cheers
Phil Ev 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

Grand Illusion is still great though and Arrie's is excellent, on sight-able and a reasonable proposition with some mattage

Cheers
 jkarran 11 Sep 2015
In reply to climberchristy:

> Quite agree with Grand Illusion! Possibly soft end of E4 (?) but what a great line with a really safe fall-out zone. Brill!

Is the cam slot in the roof any good? I always assumed the last good gear was in the last break at the back of the roof and the fall would be horrible.

jk
 Nige M 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

The Big C (E4 5c) at Kilnsey. It has really good climbing, is quite easy for the grade, is nearly always clean and has loads of gear. I made use of 24 runners: a couple of bolts, 3 threads and endless wires.
 Ally Smith 11 Sep 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> Is the cam slot in the roof any good? I always assumed the last good gear was in the last break at the back of the roof and the fall would be horrible.

Shall we go and take a look sometime? Haven't been to the 'cliffe in years
Phil Ev 11 Sep 2015
In reply to jkarran:

The cam slot in the roof is bomber, red camalot 1, I can testify to it being safe, once fell with my hand on the 5 star finish break having done all quiet into grand illusion. Even with loads of rope out and long extenders everywhere it was still a safe fall. a runner out left towards the end of the great western traverse stops the swing into the crack of doom corner a bit.

Cheers
 jkarran 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Ally Smith:

Sounds like a plan. I might be a bit fat for E4 roofs at the moment but you never know. I'm away for a week but mostly about thereafter.
jk
 jkarran 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Phil Ev:

Cheers, good to know!
jk
 Wizzy 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

Thumper (E4 5c) at Eastby is an absolute classic!
 Andrew Wilson 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Wizzy:

> Thumper (E4 5c) at Eastby is an absolute classic!

How safe do you think it is?

Andy
 Andy Say 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

> Looking for suggestions for safe E4s in Yorkshire. Don't mind running it out but nothing with ground fall potential. Have done The Great Santini (E4 6a) at Dovestones and have Wellington Crack (E4 5c) at Ilkley on the list already.

Mike,

Enjoy your foray on to Yorkshire E4. Bear in mind there is actually no such animal as a 'safe E4'. I would refer you to the BMC participation statement

Andy
 PaulTanton 11 Sep 2015
In reply to theomoore:
I put some wide, oposition, side runners in. Might slow you down a bit.

In reply to Bob:

Whoops!
OP Mike Todd 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Andy Say:
> Enjoy your foray on to Yorkshire E4. Bear in mind there is actually no such animal as a 'safe E4'. I would refer you to the BMC participation statement

Take your point, as safe as E4 can be was my meaning.
Post edited at 12:11
OP Mike Todd 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

Thanks all, got Arries 'ook in the bag yesterday thanks to some encouragement, spotting and a very large crash mat from Phil. Will have a look at the others soon!
OP Mike Todd 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Wizzy:

> Thumper (E4 5c) at Eastby is an absolute classic!

Definitely not safe.. have top roped this but don't think I would lead it.
 climberchristy 28 Sep 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Yeh lead on double ropes - good cams to right under roof and can also put good cam on left rope. set these up then recover by resting below gear on right. then when you go for it you have a 'baby bouncer' set up where you are caught first on right rope and then come tight on left. Fall would be long if you miss going for the jug where great western comes in from left but I doubt it would be 'horrible'. I've come off it from below this point (ie on the crux) and the fall was absolutely fine.
 Dave Musgrove 29 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

Not done it for a while but remember Bad Brain at Malham being a great route and I don't remember it being too run-out or scary. I did it twice so it can't have been too bad. Another little known gem is System of a Down at Kilnsey. This is the direct finish to Deirdre. Short, but intense and well protected with the added advantage that if you do the original route first you get a free close up inspection on the way down.

Dave
In reply to Mike Todd:
> Definitely not safe.. have top roped this but don't think I would lead it.

I agree Thumper is definitely not safe!
Post edited at 17:39
 UKB Shark 30 Sep 2015
In reply to Mike Todd:

Limehill. 300 foot fallout zone
 overdrawnboy 01 Oct 2015
In reply to Mike Todd: Balas at Kilnsey is a possible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...