UKC

Loch Einich by MTB?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gammarus 10 Sep 2015
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has biked up Gleann Einich - my OS map shows a track all the way to Loch Einich, but the Harvey Cairgorms map shows just a path most of the way.

So - is it feasible to use a MTB to approach Sgor an Lochain Uaine + Cairn Toul from Gleann Einich?
 Simon Caldwell 10 Sep 2015
In reply to gammarus:

Yes, it's fine to cycle all the way to the loch - some friends did this a coup,le of weekends ago.
 Bob 10 Sep 2015
In reply to gammarus:

It's definitely ridable up to Loch Einich, we did it a few years ago, some shots here to give you an idea of what the riding's like -http://bobwightman.co.uk/bike/slideshow.php?s=gleneinich There's one or two burn crossings that might be interesting if it's been raining a lot.
OP gammarus 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thanks for that
OP gammarus 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Bob:

Thanks a lot - looks pretty good in your pics - any idea how long you took?
 Rick Graham 10 Sep 2015
In reply to gammarus:

Good track all the way.

Expect to average 5 to 10 mph on the way up , 10-30 mph on the way down, depending on fitness
 Bob 10 Sep 2015
In reply to gammarus:

Can't remember, I remember that there was a strong headwind as evidenced by the waves on the loch but we also rode round the forest a bit so it wasn't a straight out and back. The route is in the Scottish Wild Trails book BTW so that will have timings. There possibly a hundred metres where you couldn't be in the big ring, really very easy riding.

I do remember that about ten minutes after we had got back and were just heading to the cafe that the heavens opened, very lucky timing.
OP gammarus 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks for that - yes, the old fitness thing ...
OP gammarus 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Bob:

Very helpful - we'll book some good weather
 HardenClimber 10 Sep 2015
In reply to gammarus:

I've just about got to the loch in winter, starting from Whitewell. The track was pretty good most of the way. Gives the day a big lift.
 CurlyStevo 10 Sep 2015
In reply to HardenClimber:

Snap - it was pretty treacherous on the ice patches mind but we got in and out of the braeriach and got a route done within day light hours.
 Jim Braid 16 Sep 2015
In reply to gammarus:
Starting from Coylumbridge or Whitewell takes me around an hour and a half up and about 50 minutes back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...