UKC

Dunira access problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 S Andrew 10 Sep 2015

We visited Dunira on Monday. Having read about parking problems we parked carefully at the houses The Mannie appeared immediately and commenced a rant, threatening within about 15seconds to have the police tow our car away. He told us that everywhere on the N side of the road was Dunira estate and that we would have to find parking on the other side of the main road. We did this, and within a couple of minuted he had driven off the estate to check where we had parked (well off the road, near but not obstructing a firebreak) . He then followed us and recommenced a rant about the firebreak (still accessible) being the main route he used to bring deer off the hill (having previously told us this wasn't Dunira estate). He said that parking anywhere on the verge was unsafe, and again threatened that at his bidding the police would tow the car away. Nonetheless, we continued on to the crag and had a fine day ( apart from the confrontation). Spoke to a couple of locals, who said that the hostile approach wasn't confined to climbers (or necessarily cars). His objective seemed to be to make it so hard to park that we would go elsewhere. At no point was there any positive discussion about where we COULD park. Go, but prepare for hassle!
 DannyC 10 Sep 2015
In reply to S Andrew:

Worth dropping an email to MCofS.

D.
OP S Andrew 10 Sep 2015
In reply to DannyC:

I'll be doing that.
 JLS 10 Sep 2015
In reply to S Andrew:

Yeah, I experienced the same sort of hassle from him last year. He obviously doesn't like anyone venturing onto the estate, regardless of access rights, and is attempting to make it as difficult as possible for anyone who tries.
There seems little point in engaging with him, as he is not open to any compromise that doesn't involve you leaving the estate. Simply park off the estate and exercise your rights.

His tactics are working. Even though I had a good day there, I've not been keen to venture back.
 andrew ogilvie 10 Sep 2015
In reply to S Andrew:
Sorry to hear that. We were there last spring,that is 2014, midweek.Parked just as described in the publications with no problem whatsoever. Regardless of rights from ownership its a bit hard to imagine a circumstance where enough climbers would turn up to make any meaningful impact on access along the tracks so it certainly seems petty to be treated as you describe.
Police safety advice to avoid fire damaged cottage also ,probably studiously, cited to justify re locking of the fortified bridge at allt chaorainn Glen Etive. (The bridge has had part of its overhanging wire defence removed and we elected to ignore these advice and climb the gate.) Maybe an enquiry to police scotland about their position in regards to these access issues would be justified.
Post edited at 22:02
aultguish 11 Sep 2015
In reply to S Andrew:

I used to live on a neighbouring estate and tried to engage with Dunira. They are not interested, will not answer emails or return phonecalls to discuss the situation. Park on the Lednock side, either at the end of the woods, or just after the first bad right hand bend about half a mile past the woods.
If you park anywhere off the estate in a legal position, he has no right to move you on. You can legally walk through the estate grounds also, no matter what bull he preaches.
Personally, I now treat him the way he treated me and he ignores me now.
 yodadave 11 Sep 2015
In reply to aultguish:

good to know its getting some traffic in spite of this. I'm pretty local, Killin, if anyone wants a partner for it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...