UKC

Canon G7x - Have you got one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

Looking to replace my Canon S95 which has semi died due to focusing problems and is uneconomical to repair. I'm looking at the Canon G7x with the new '1 inch' sensor which gets generally good reviews but is critisied over speed and battery life. Anyone got one? Whats it like for a high end compact / take on mutlipitch routes camera?

I've pretty much ruled out the Sony equivalent RX100 series as the RX100 ii has a slower lens and is not as wide (28mm) and the RX100 iii is too expensive.

Canon is on budget (just) at £300. Other option is the Canon S120 which is considerable cheaper and still an upgrade from the S95. Is the 1 inch sensor really that much better?

Should say, i'm not that bothered about the pop up EVF on the Sony's.

Cheers
 CrushUnit 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Sandstone Stickman: Have you looked at the Sony A5000? Its within budget and has an APS-c sized sensor and the option to change lenses. I have it big brother the A6000 as my compact and I am very impressed, easily as good as the images I was getting out of my 70d
 RobertHepburn 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

I am a boulderer/walker but have found the G7X to be really good. It fits (just) in my trouser pocket when I am walking, takes great pictures and has useful control options for when you have the time. You can put it in TV mode (speed priority) and put it on continuous shoot for good action shots - managed to catch me in mid-air on a dyno using this. I have taken videos and longer exposure shots using a gorilla pod and have a magnetic attachment for a polarising filter. I really like the 24mm view and use it a lot for landscapes. I have used HDR mode, vivid mode and star scape mode with good results for the right picture, and often use exposure adjustment, macro mode, and play with depth of field. The ability to use the touch screen to focus is really handy too.
The battery life is ok, but if you do a lot it is worth charging it every day. The macro is ok but could be a bit better, as the minimum focus is a bit far away for my liking. My main annoyance is remembering to reset settings before taking photos - shooting landscapes in macro mode, forgetting that the exposure is at +2 etc, but I guess that is true of all cameras!
The best thing is that I can take it everywhere and still have real control over what the camera is doing. I have an SLR but never use it, and am really happy with the G7X.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...