UKC

INTERVIEW: Stu Littlefair on Rainshadow 9a

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Sep 2015
Stu Littlefair: Astrophysicist, 9a climber and drinker of tea/coffee?, 4 kbWe recently reported that Stu Littlefair had climbed his first 9a by making the 5th ever ascent of Rainshadow 9a at Malham Cove. After years of training efforts, the stars finally aligned for Sheffield's favourite astrophysicist as he clipped the chains of one of the UK's hardest and most iconic routes.

In this interview, Stu talks Rainshadow, training, McDonald's, horoscopes and reveals all on his rivalry with Alex Barrows - is he now better than Barrows? Wasn't he always?

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent! Top work Stu.
 LouisJones 11 Sep 2015
This was hilarious
 Andy Farnell 11 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News: Given that:
1) Rainshadow is solid 9a (no wimpy knee bars at Malham, we don't encourage that sort of behaviour, thank you very much), not some debateable Spanish '9a'
2) Barrows is 7ft 6 with +5 ape (hence weak and just lanks/kneebars everything into submission) but Stu is knee high to Gimli,
3) Stu has to balance studies, work and climbing, whereas Barrows is a part time student and general unwashed lay-about and
4) Stu is nearly old enough to be Barrows dad

I'd say Stu is by far the better climber

Andy F
In reply to andy farnell:

That should be balanced against the fact that Barrows has on sighted several 8b's, whereas the only thing I've onsighted is a plate of chips.
 natetan 11 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I love this interview. Really funny.

Good to read something outside of the usual formulaic nicey-nice bollocks.
 abarro81 11 Sep 2015
In reply to andy farnell:

Oi, there's no knees on era vella either!
I am weak though. Good to thing I'm so technically proficient, not to mention handsome and charming, to make up for it.
 JKW 11 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:
Great interview and very entertaining, it made me laugh. Well done Stu, really pleased for you, a great effort.
 Sterling 14 Sep 2015
> Many top British climbers seem to be scientists working in academia - do you think working in science makes one more structured and meticulous in the approach to training? Or is it purely a coincidence?!

Hmm, what about the considering how much spare time those working in education have versus those with real jobs?
 Toccata 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Sterling:

> Hmm, what about the considering how much spare time those working in education have versus those with real jobs?

What a silly thing to say. May be the motivation required to be successful in academia spins out into other fields?

How about Tony Mitchell, multiple 8c first ascents as a GP?

http://www.physiotherapies.co.uk/team/dr-tony-mitchell/
 Dave Garnett 14 Sep 2015
In reply to midgets of the world unite:

Stu, you stress the shortness. How tall are you, really?

I speak as a weak, short person who got spanked on a reachy E1 yesterday. Something has to be done. I go to a wall but I play at it - I've never really trained in my life and it's finally dawning on me that it might help...

Fantastic achievement and impressive understatement BTW.
 galpinos 14 Sep 2015

I was disappointed to see you weren't wearing a scarf like the Alta flash photo in the old OTE Bleau guide. You're no longer at the cutting edge of climbing fashion......
In reply to Sterling:

I would write a full response to that but I've just got back from a 12 hour shift at work and I'm a bit tired.
In reply to galpinos:

That's true. Fashion is for kids
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Dave - if you want the full stats I'm 5'6" with a negative ape index.
 Dave Garnett 15 Sep 2015

> Dave - if you want the full stats I'm 5'6" with a negative ape index.

So, it's really true; there are no reach problems, just strength problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...