UKC

Surrey Hills/Leith Hill MTB Routes - help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Last minute changes of plans means that I'm going to find myself in the Surrey Hills area tomorrow with a few hours to kill and my bike in the back of the car.

I've heard that there's some good mtb to be had down there and that some new trails have opened up.

Can anyone provide some info on/links to the area? Would normally do it myself on t'nternet but won't have decent web access until tomorrow morning.

Any help greatly appreciated
Post edited at 14:41
 JDC 11 Sep 2015
In reply to exiled_northerner:
Probably the greatest concentration is around peaslake. Loads of great stuff but you'll probably need a local to find most of it as they're not marked trails. Summer Lightning is good, and well marked, but I've never made a satisfactory loop out of it.
 balmybaldwin 11 Sep 2015

Have a google for "Diary of a mountainbiker" he has a few good GPx files that link up some of the better known trails.

If not, and you can't find anyone to tag long with.... go to peaslake as mentionend, turn right at peaslake stores and go up past the village hall on your right, and you'll come to a big parking area on the left. Park here and kit up.

Then head out of the carpark away from the entrance on a double track that heads up hill. keep as straight as you can, and keep going up until you get to the top of the hill and the view point. from here head NNE on tracks, gently down hill till you reach a cross roads... go right about 5-10 meters and on your left is entrance to some nice single track, follow this until it spits you out onto a fire road. go left on the fire road across another junction, then immediately right onto single tack... (this is known as Grave Digger I think) follow this for about a mile until it comes alongside a church graveyard.... look for a hard to see left into the trees which leads to a steep rooty short downhill back to the carpark...

Go out of the carpark heading right along the road, and turn right when you get to peaslake stores. About a mile of gentle climbing on the road gets you to the bottom of "Barry Knows Best" on the left.

Follow the Bridleway on the left that zig zags a bit up the hill. until you reach a road. cross the road and bear right on the track after the gate. this is a bit of a slog along fireroads, but there are some interesting little tracks off on the right that return to the fire road for a bit of variety. after the fireroad drops down a hill slightly, take a right turn and follow that fire road to the top of Holmbury (I think) hill and a view point...again head Northish from here looking for a sweeping right burmed turn that leads into "Yoghurt Pots"... enjoy this little gem! When you pop out at the bottom, take a right, across a cross roads of sorts and then take a left up the side of an escarp under the telegraph lines... you are now on the telegraph run... hack down this until you get to a small carpark. Turn right here to head to SUmmerlightning and Leith Hill, or as I tend to turn left to start heading back to Barry's.... follow the double track until you come to a cross road under trees (after a couple of dips and small climbs) Take the left down a semi sunken track, and follow this in a Southerly direction (you should see the reservoir Facility you passed in the distance once you are out of the woods) head for this and then cross the road. The left track is the top of Barry Knows best... enjoy the downhill... at the bottom, you can either turn right and roll back to the car via the village stores, or go left, and then right up a stupidly steep hill (once past the farm) that takes you back up tot he area you started in.... you can either find the top of Grave Digger again, or look for trails that drop you onto the first climb of the day...

That takes in a lot of the well known stuff, but there is so much in the area that it's often good just to wander around aimlessly taking random tracks and seeing where they turn out. There's nothing super technical, but certainly some bits that are challenging at speed, but nothing that can't be avoided... Enjoy.
 RobertHepburn 11 Sep 2015

It can be worth looking at the strava heat map for the area (http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#13/-0.42258/51.18786/blue/bike), but the real trick is finding the trails when you are there are the whole area is a maze of tracks. The bridleways are easy to find and nice if a bit easy - there is a good connecting one between Leith hill and Holmbury hill. If its scares you are after then there is always deliverance, which is passed by the extended summer lightning on Leith Hill, but don't say you weren't warned if/when you break your collar bone . My personal favourite is yoghurt pots at the top of Holmbury hill (go north from the top about 200m, obvious track on the right). Have fun, and hope the rain isn't too bad Sat morning!
Thanks balmybaldwin and RobertHepburn. Managed to put a decent loop together including Summer Lightning from Leith Hill and Yoghurt Pots from Holmbury Hill and following my nose around some bits and pieces vaguely following a route found on Singletrack

It’s a great place for riding if you find yourself in that neck of the woods. A great find for me as I can easily detour there on the way to/from the in-laws!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...