UKC

Home climbing wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulTanton 12 Sep 2015
Evening,

Im planning to build a wall in my cellar but not sure what angle I should pitch it at.
I've got 2 meters floor to celing hight to play with. I could put a panel on the ceiling I guess.
Also do most holds use the same size fixing screws? I was thinking of drilling the panel out and putting T nuts in so I could put holds where I like.
 Steve nevers 12 Sep 2015
In reply to PaulTanton:

M10 size T nuts are the standard I think (off the top of my mildly drunk head.)

A diamond grid of T nuts is pretty much the way to go, makes changing loads a damn site less hassle, fixing the T nuts with a retainer screw to avoid rotation is a good idea too.

2 meters isn't much room, so I'd stick a roof panel up too, but along with angle depends on the depth of the room really. 30-35 degrees and above is considered better, but then that also depends on your current grades, to steep and it'll just be bloody hard, and you'll have to buy lots of (expensive) juggy holds to much use.

Lot to consider!
 Fiona Reid 12 Sep 2015
In reply to PaulTanton:
I've just had a wee bouldering wall built in my garage. I can send you the details of who installed it if you like?. My joinery skills were way too useless to risk DIY.

It's a 20 and 35 degree with a wee roof. Photo here to give you an idea: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B46FklbJdmurYTRmVUlRcGU3OWc

My garage is 2.3m high and the wall is about 4m long. The wall has tnuts at 15cm intervals. These take M10 alun bolts the length of which depends on the holds you attach. Places like core climbing etc and many more will supply bolts and tnuts etc.
Post edited at 20:51
 ashtond6 12 Sep 2015
In reply to PaulTanton:

Hi Paul

What are your aims?/reasons for putting it up?

As trad endurance / bouldering / sport endurance all demand diff settings
dwb 13 Sep 2015
In reply to PaulTanton:

My simple wall consists of 3 8x4 sheets 18mm ply on a 2x4" frame(ie 12ft wide by 8ft high). The bottom just butts against the wall, the top is attached by chains to the top of the wall. The angle is easily adjusted to any angle from about 2 deg to 40 deg.( A little more complicated woud be to put a kicking board at the bottom and hinge the top bit but I never got round to doing that). In my experience this arrangement is far superior to the complicated structures i've seen on here and much easier to build. Because you can vary the angle you can invent a problem at a modest angle and then gradually increase the angle as you get fitter stronger- its amazing what a diference a few degrees make!
 aln 13 Sep 2015
In reply to PaulTanton:
I loved the feature in OTE magazine showing people's home walls. My favourite was Seb Grieve with a bit of board with a few holds on it, leaning against a wall in an alley.
Post edited at 11:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...