UKC

Denver - Ouray

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gfpowell 13 Sep 2015
Hi,

My partner and I are travelling to Denver at the end of Jan, we have a hire car and are planning to drive straight from airport to Ouray for some ice climbing.

Does anyone have any experience with this journey and maybe have any suggestions? My worries are mainly around if the weather is particularly bad...

George Fisher 13 Sep 2015
In reply to gfpowell:

Me and my business partner have done it for the last 2 years to work at the ice festival. Both years it wasn't particularly cold by Ouray standards.

We've hit snow going over the first pass between Den and Vail. Also experienced ice going the other route through Fruita. Nothing extreme but I guess it could get pretty bad.

We had a 4x4 and I think recommend one or at least something with winter tyres. The roads on the main highways are kept pretty clear by the big ploughs but the smaller roads out to the back country ice are just compacted snow.

If you want any more info about stuff in Ouray or places to stay give me a shout. If you're there for ice fest come and say hi, I should be there again.

George
 Matt1234 13 Sep 2015
In reply to gfpowell:

I drove from Denver airport to Ouray in mid January this year. We went along the I-70 to Grand Junction and then South to Ouray. A lot of the I-70 is dual carriageway but the rest is all single carriageway. The journey there was quite hard work. We had a Kia Sorento that had no fog lights and the headlights seemed pretty useless as well. The whole journey was in darkness and it snowed or was foggy most of the way. I think it took us about 8 hours. The roads were well ploughed and gritted though, it was the visibility that was the problem, nothing that I haven't experienced in the UK however. I can't imagine the roads to Ouray getting so bad that you wouldn't be able to get through being a common occurrence, the ploughing and gritting seemed too good, not to say it never happens. We never had to use snow chains (not sure if we had them?) or 4WD on the whole trip and the drive back was all dry and miles easier.

My only suggestions would be don't get a Kia Sorento and take a few extra long slings or equivalent to extend your anchors when in the Ice park as I found a lot of the time the trees were quite far back from the edge. I ended up buying 15m of static cord because my slings weren't long enough when put together (for top roping or for leaving in place when you're leading, which you're supposed to do there).

It should be great, it's probably the best trip I've been on
 alicia 14 Sep 2015
In reply to gfpowell:

In addition to what the others said, if you're also planning to drive back to Denver, try not to do that on a Sunday afternoon! The main road into denver (interstate 70) has a massive weekly traffic jam that can cause hours of delays as people come back from their weekends away, especially in winter when the roads are bad.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...