UKC

Garmin Fenix 3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Patriot 13 Sep 2015

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has got any good reviews on this type of watch?
Cheers.
Post edited at 20:01
 andy 13 Sep 2015
In reply to The Patriot:
dcrainmaker.com has a massive review and hubdreds of comments from users as well. Mostly more fitness/tri focused than outdoors.

Indy 13 Sep 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

Hard to beat this...
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/03/garmin-fenix3-detailed-review.html

You'll also find other reviews for similar watches on the site by Sunnto etc

Fenix is a cracking watch if you ask me.
 steelbru 13 Sep 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

Lots and lots of disillusioned users regards GPS accuracy. The rest of the watch sounds fantastic, and I was ready to splash the cash on one, but just far too many people saying that ther GPS error rate is well outwith the bounds of acceptability.

Given that Garmin have very accurate GPS chips in all their other watches and bike computers, then you wonder why this is so difficult for them to get right, but until they do, they are losing a lot of potential sales to the Sunnto Ambit 3
OP The Patriot 14 Sep 2015
In reply to The Patriot:
Cheers guys. I've read really bad reports about the accuracy of the GPS in this Garmin product. I do use other Garmin products for running and on the bike and even in the car. Don't understand why this one is so bad. Would like to stick to the Garmin but the Sunnto is looking better.
ffej1405 14 Sep 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

I've had a Fenix 3 pretty much since it was released. I tend to use it more for recording rides/runs/walks and I've had no issues with it. Accuracy wise it is on par with the Suunto Ambit 2 which I still have. I;ve also used it as a backup for gecaching with the kids and it has been as accurate as a GPSMAP 64s.

There are a lot of people who like complaining about stuff on internet forums, especially the Garmin one, but if you look at people discussing other GPS watches they all have very similar complaints about other brands.

I wouldn't swap my F3. More than happy with it!
 JR 14 Sep 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

Moved off Suunto to a Fenix 3. No reservations about it. Great bit of kit.
 galpinos 14 Sep 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

I've got a Fenix 3. My first GPS watch so maybe my expectations are lower than others but I've had no GPS issues. I used it on a track session and the trace was spot on for every interval.

My wife hates it though, I think she's fed up of me reading texts on my watch, "because I can", then having to get my phone out to reply!
 galpinos 14 Sep 2015
In reply to John Roberts (JR):

John, have you used it ski touring? If so, which mode (app?) would you use?
OP The Patriot 14 Sep 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Thank you guys. All really good stuff to help me make a decision.
Rich7 14 Sep 2015
The Fenix 3 can also connect to Glonass in addition to GPS if required. I've never tried it but it may be useful.
 RedFive 15 Sep 2015
In reply to The Patriot:

We have two in the household (wife and son) who both use it for pool swimming, biking, turbo training, hiking and running.

Fantastic watch, and no issues. Their measurements of distance and trail on Garmin Connect / Strava are within a gnats whisker of mine, which is a trusty Garmin 910XT. I'm just saving up my beer tokens to replace that with a fenix 3.

They weren't interested in the notifications or activity tracking when upgrading from a Forerunner 220 but both have enjoyed seeing step and text notifications as they wear them as a daily watch too.

I plot routes using OS Maps then upload easily to the watch and the breadcrumb trail is brilliant to follow when out in the hills. You could do that for following ride routes / offroad running too.

Battery life is brilliant too.

A much cheaper option is the new Garmin Vivoactive, but there are many reasons why, if you can afford it, the F3 is a better option. E.g. 1 second gps recording (I don't like smart recording and think half the 'gps issues' are because of this), multiple sport options and battery life.

Never owned a Polar product so can't compare, but as said above DC Rainmaker is your man for comparisons.

Hope that helps!

JR 15 Sep 2015
In reply to galpinos:

I haven't yet, but imagine i'd just use the XC skiing app? I can't imagine I'd wear the HR belt for a days general touring so seem sufficient as it is? Have you done the update to get the new apps if it's not there?

If I was touring for the sake of training ie laps up the Pierre a Ric or something I'd prob use a variation on that, or a custom one based on the cardio or maybe XC ski profile. I've customised a lot of the profiles anyhow to show the screens I want. Have you got any better ideas?

I don't use any of the phone pairing options. I turned it on when I first got it and it drove me nuts. Don't need to be getting texts and emails when I'm out running/cycling etc...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...