UKC

Cogne walk ins

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davegardner 14 Sep 2015
I'm currently trying to plan an ice climbing trip for next Feb and Cogne is looking like the favourite destination but can't find a huge amount of info on walk ins and any need for skis / snow shoes, could the collective wisdom of UKC shine any light on this for me?
 GridNorth 14 Sep 2015
In reply to davegardner:
I've been six or seven times and never "needed" either skis or snow shoes. Having said that I have often wished I has skis for the boring trek back down the valley but more for speed than necessity.

Al
Post edited at 12:37
In reply to davegardner:

If there's enough snow for snow shoes/skis the avi risk is likely too high to climb anyway.

Approach skis or x-country skis can make the 8km plod next to the manicured xc trail a bit less boring. I've skid in once on touring setup, but in hindsight it didn't feel worth it. Had quite a fun few turns and drops back down from the base of one of the routes to the valley in fresh powder once though
 Martin Bennett 14 Sep 2015
In reply to davegardner:

Like me old chum "Grid" (see above) I've been there a lot and never used skis. If you did decide to try it you can hire them cheaply in the village. I keep meaning to but, even with 40 years plus of downhill ski-ing I'm crap at langlauf - just can't seem to get the rhythm. Will be there in Feb - might see you - I'll be the silly old fool falling off his skis!
 Misha 14 Sep 2015
In reply to davegardner:
As others have said. Also bear in mind that skis = boots on your back, unless you plan to climb in ski touring boots. If there is a path, the walk ins are between half an hour and two hours for most stuff.
 kevin stephens 14 Sep 2015
In reply to davegardner:
I agree with all the above posts, but highly recommend trekking / walking poles for the walk in/out especially with fresh snow. Skis are a good idea, but only for a rest day from climbing, or if it gets too warm for safe climbing. There is a mini downhill resort in the valley and proper skiing is not far to drive
Post edited at 19:14
OP davegardner 15 Sep 2015

Sounds good then, thanks everyone. Fingers crossed for good conditions now!
Post edited at 12:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...