UKC

Brian Close

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 14 Sep 2015

Yorkshire hard man is an over used cliche, but you only have to watch Close face down the most terrifying bowling attack imaginable in 1976 to know he was the real deal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/34244820

youtube.com/watch?v=60GAhXvU90k&
Post edited at 12:44
 GrahamD 14 Sep 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Brings back memories, that footage. Terrifying stuff. Its a wonder more people didn't go the way of Phil Hughes really.

What I hadn't really realised was his England captaincy record.
 streapadair 14 Sep 2015

"It only hurts if you think it does."
OP The New NickB 14 Sep 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Helmets make people lazy. I was at the ODI yesterday, Morgan seemed to make no effort to get his head out of the way of Stark's ball that hit him and put him out of the match.

As Michael Vaughan has said, "courage, bravery, madness". What a character.
 Postmanpat 14 Sep 2015

Ah, the orginal "bullet headed Yorkshireman". Had amazing stats as captain and batsman. Should have played in far more tests.

Odd,i spent an hour on Saturday reading web articles about him
 Offwidth 14 Sep 2015
In reply to The New NickB: Have you ever played against a bowler of that speed? If the ball takes off unexpectedly from just short of a length you have a pretty small chance of avoiding it.
OP The New NickB 14 Sep 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

> Have you ever played against a bowler of that speed? If the ball takes off unexpectedly from just short of a length you have a pretty small chance of avoiding it.

They rarely try. I'm not saying don't wear a helmet, it is undoubtably safer, but head strikes are more common and bowling hasn't got any faster.
 Al Evans 14 Sep 2015

Not just his batting was courageous, his close in fielding at silly mid off was unique.

Brian Close was great -RIP
 Postmanpat 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Al Evans:

Close also had a climbing connection. He was at school and friends with Doug Verity, of the Rock and Ice, son (as you well know) of the great bowler Hedley Verity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...