UKC

Nikon D7100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I am considering upgrading to the Nikon D7100 - does anyone have any experience of this model? I notice it has no OLPF - what are the advantages & disadvantages of this?
 Fraser 15 Sep 2015
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

No experience of the D7100 I'm afraid but the main gripe with my D7000 - and which is the same on the D7100 - is the very poor location of the ISO button. This can't be reconfigured to, for example, the front Function button, so you're stuck with it being in a terribly un-ergonomic position.

Fine if you shoot on Auto ISO, but if you're used to manually adjusting this, it's a real PITA.

I have been using this for the last couple of years. I think it is great and we use it for video a lot on the UKC trips since the video capabilities are significantly improved from the D7000.

I haven't had any problem with the ISO as commented above. Seems pretty easy to alter to me - press the lower button on the left and turn the back dial - can be done while looking through the view finder.

I find the fact that you switch between photo and video a bit awkward and there is a tendency to forget you have it on Video mode and shoot photos. This still works but it defaults to Auto exposure so any control you thought you had has gone. A minor thing though and made more problematic for me since I share the camera most of the time with my daughter.

Overall a great camera even though the specs are well out stripped by current competitors. Good value second hand I reckon.

Alan
 Mike_d78 18 Sep 2015

I had the d7100 for a few years, I thought it was a great camera. It's most famous limitation is its small buffer which limits burst shooting. It's not small either, but if you're after a decent dslr with great flexibility at a relatively value for money price, then it's a camera worth serious consideration.

Mine got nicked 😠 but replaced with a d7200 😁
 Mike_d78 19 Sep 2015

In reply to Fraser

It is possible to change iso control to just the command or subcommand dial on both the d7100 & d7200 in both S and A modes, much easier than pressing the button on the back and then dialling up/down.

Regards Mike
Post edited at 08:52
In reply to mikedelderfield:

I took the plunge and bought it from Jessops in Glasgow this week. Initial impressions are good but the 2 card slot needs a bit of learning - deleting images was blocked by some configurations. Also my current cards are too slow for the record rate so I bought some faster cards - this is the buffering limitation I guess.
 Fraser 23 Sep 2015
In reply to mikedelderfield:

> In reply to Fraser

> It is possible to change iso control to just the command or subcommand dial on both the d7100 & d7200 in both S

Interesting to hear they've addressed this limitation on the D7000 with subsequent upgrades, thanks for the info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...