UKC

Etive Slabs, Ben, Glen Coe Drying Times

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.91 15 Sep 2015

So given that it lashed it down at the weekend the forecast for this week is substantially dry and high pressure (ish) is forecast for the weekend how dry will the following be!

Wondering if its worth a punt to come north for probably the last time before winter.

Centurion (HVS 5a)
The Pause (E1 5b)
Hammer (HVS 5b)
Yo Yo (E1 5b)

Any info or updates to what the weather is doing as the week progresses would be appreciated!
Post edited at 11:44
 Dave Garnett 15 Sep 2015
In reply to joe.91:

Every time I've been anywhere near Etive it has poured down, even in high summer. Maybe you'll be lucky but I'll be in the Lakes at the weekend, which is probably too close for comfort.

Michael Gordon 15 Sep 2015
In reply to joe.91:

If it doesn't rain again before the weekend then the first 3 will certainly be dry. Yo-yo may still be a bit damp on the first pitch. I would say Etive is definitely your best bet for dryness (but beware midge conditions!) followed by Centurion.
 planetmarshall 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> If it doesn't rain again before the weekend then the first 3 will certainly be dry. Yo-yo may still be a bit damp on the first pitch. I would say Etive is definitely your best bet for dryness (but beware midge conditions!) followed by Centurion.

Not t put a dampener on things, but Met Office currently predict 50% chance of precipitation in the Lochaber area on Thu.
OP joe.91 15 Sep 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Oh I have no doubt that it will rain before the weekend, that's why I'm asking how long they generally take to dry! MWIS says 2-4 hrs of rain thursday before showers Friday and dry at the weekend with the high pressure.
In reply to joe.91:

Not ideal then. I would allow maybe 3 days for Centurion. The slabs could be good sunday if it's not too midgey.
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Any idea how quickly the cobbler dries and what about unicorn in sncl?

Cheers
OP joe.91 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Ooh even more ideas for the weekend!
 Heike 15 Sep 2015

Unicorn would take quite a few days and also it is only going to be 13 degrees at sea level on sat, could be quite chilly high up.

Cobbler 2 days, Unicorn 3 or 4
 CMcBain 15 Sep 2015
In reply to joe.91:

I done The Pause a few weeks ago after a couple of dry days and it was mostly fine, the big wet patch on the crux pitch felt pretty hard though. Not sure if its usually smaller but involved 5/6 meters of traversing a soaking wet slimy slab, pretty surprised I didn't fall off really. Hammer would probably be a safer bet. Watch out for the midge if the breeze dies down!
 james1978 15 Sep 2015
In reply to CMcBain:

Sorry to hijack the thread,but can you explain where you climbed on the 4th pitch after the traverse? I got lost about a month ago... I climbed up to the belay of the long reach and then the guide mentions a traverse of 3 metres following thin cracks. After 3 metres I only found a reddish crack/rut which was quite well defined but couldn't decide at the top of this whether I was on/off route.
Was this the correct way? Or should I have kept moving right after TLR belay? As you can imagine -once I started to doubt myself up on the sea of granite I was in retreat mode!
 planetmarshall 15 Sep 2015
In reply to james1978:

> Sorry to hijack the thread,but can you explain where you climbed on the 4th pitch after the traverse? I got lost about a month ago...

Welcome back! You must have gone a long way off route.

james1978 15 Sep 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Very good Andrew...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...