UKC

smartphone apps you find useful for ski touring / in mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cathy 15 Sep 2015
Hi all, I'm preparing a talk for the ESC leaders meet about the tech gadget world and how it can help (or not) in ski touring. Anybody have any apps to recommend that they've found particularly useful. (Horror stories about apps and/or smartphone usage are also welcome.)
(Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting anybody only carry a smartphone, just asking for useful extras that apps can bring to the experience.)
 HeMa 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

The classic one would be GPS plotter on topo-maps (the freeride maps from some of the resorts in CH would be a good thing).

But currently the battery performance simply kills this idea.

So I mostly end up only using the camera, whilst touring... and more often I'll be using the real camera.
 Scomuir 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

As HeMa said, GPS with a topo map. I use an app with OS maps, and the blue dot showing my location has been used for reassurance in a whiteout. Battery life is a consideration, so only used when needed.
 inboard 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

What's the current advice about phones impairing avalanche transceivers' function? I recall being warned to keep my phone off when backcountry - although this was over 10 years ago now and I have noticed guides using smartphones whilst in avalanche terrain.
 Dave Rumney 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

The ortovox alpine tours app was handy when we were in oetzal austria in march. It's free and large scale mapping can be downloaded for use offline. It also has avalanche reports and other useful information when online.

I don't knowif it would interfere with an avalanche transeiver, but I guess ortovox would know.
 AdrianC 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

The only smartphone app I use during back country skiing is a free inclinometer app (can't remember the name but it wasn't hard to find.)

My understanding is that there's some evidence of transmitting devices interfering with transceivers if they are close by, notably with the search function rather than the transmit. My usual transceiver briefing to clients includes setting their phone to flight mode (because for may people it's also their camera) but also to ensure that no other transmitting devices are in use - for example helmet cams with bluetooth can be recording not transmitting.
 Mr-Cowdrey 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

I haven't used it but Fat Map looks really good http://fatmap.com.

Although, the only areas available are Chamonix, Verbier, Zermatt and Tignes/Val D'Isere, for now. And you have to buy each one and it only lasts a year. Is it worth it? Maybe.

I might fork out the £7.99 for the Cham map and have a look.
 MG 15 Sep 2015
In reply to AdrianC:

They go beserk with phones near by. When practising I couldn't understand what my transceiver was doing. Then I switched the phone off and all was fine. Definitely wouldn't have my phone on with a transceiver.
 Morgan Woods 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

I have used Ski Tracks for ios and it seems quite good for mapping but for some reason thinks I can ski at 63 km/h which must be overstating it.
 Kimberley 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:
View ranger maps have been excellent.

Just use it to confirm locations rather than having it on all the time which uses up the battery. Of course you can recharge in many huts.

Mammut Safety app - useful clinometer, compass and altimeter

iSki for several countries

Meteo France, Windguru, Meteo Ciel ,Snow forecast

Peak AR what can you see from here?
Post edited at 07:54
OP Cathy 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

Thanks everyone for your input, and for the reminder about the clash with our avalanche transceivers. Please continue to contribute ideas, I won't be doing the talk until early October.
 mchardski 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

Cathy my 2 pennies worth is that my smartphone usually goes beserk if the screen gets wet. In Scotland at least its often pretty hard to keep the screen dry at the point you need to use an app+GPS to figure out where one is. Probabaly can get some sort of weatherproof cover that retains screen visibility plus ability to operate the screen, but i haven't researched or got one. Transparent plastic bag doesn't really cut it.

Viewranger is good app as mentioned above, esp when lost in forests e.g. on a mountain bike.

However smartphone /GPS backup pretty handy for when map blows away due to carelessly poor attachment to rucksack .

Have seen guides using smartphone in whiteout on glacier it in Alps on multiday tour. He had one of those portable chargers which these days are "fairly" light. He charged both that and the actual phone each night.

cheers
 inboard 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

Thanks also to folk replying about phone/ transceiver issues - really good to keep up to date with current thinking on this.
 JuneBob 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:
I mainly use my smartphone to take pictures and to log my route with Strava. Using online maps can be useful (e.g. swiss topo, or norges kart) as it's quick and convenient, also I take pictures of route descriptions to refer to on the route.
Another app I like is peak scanner which does a reasonable job of naming the peaks around me.

For longer tours, checking the weather is useful.

There's an avalanche app by Varsom in norway, but I haven't used it much yet - might be useful.
 robbo99 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Cathy:

Http://gig.me/at/theairwave

Basically integrates your walkie talkie to your phone. Looks pretty cool for snow sports and possibly climbin
 Only a hill 17 Sep 2015
In reply to mchardski:

> Transparent plastic bag doesn't really cut it.

I put my iPhone in a ziplock bag and used it on the Cape Wrath Trail, which involved rain almost every single day. It worked fine for the entire trail.

> Have seen guides using smartphone in whiteout on glacier it in Alps on multiday tour. He had one of those portable chargers which these days are "fairly" light. He charged both that and the actual phone each night.

On the Tour of Monte Rosa earlier this month I powered an iPhone, Bluetooth keyboard and compact camera for two weeks via a solar panel and portable battery, which together weigh about 600g but lighter options exist. A battery alone with enough capacity to charge an iPhone 4-5 times can be had that weighs no more than 250g. There's no excuse to run out of power in the hills these days – particularly if you switch devices off or put them into airplane mode when they aren't being used.

For some devices, of course, you can just carry spare batteries.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...