UKC

Montanejos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lesdavmor 15 Sep 2015
Montanejos

Has anyone climbed here recently, seems a convenient location to me.
Thanks in advance
pasbury 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Lesdavmor:

Not recently but really enjoyed climbing there about 15 years ago. Particularly enjoyed Pericondrio tragal (6b).
We stayed at the refugio which was pretty comfy. I believe it's been redeveloped recently and a good guidebook was published in 2007 so hopefully still available.
I'd say it's definitely worth a punt and can be combined, as we did, with Chulilla.
 StefanB 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Lesdavmor:

Not climbed there for a while, but I live close and the area is really nice. Some good walking and swimming spots as well.
When I last climbed the bolts were abit spaced and the grades a bit stiff, but I am not sure how the recetn development has affected this. Pleanty to go at though, with some fantastic multi-pitch routes.
 mike123 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Lesdavmor:
Not recently, but had several trips there "back in the day". As above really, excellent location, refugio was adequate , quiet in the week very busy at weekends . Bolting was defiantly (that was a typo but realised it was actually very apt) old school and often just adequate. Loads of multi pitch with big long pitches and fantastic exposure . Grades were about one or two grades harder than many other places in Spain but consistently so , so just knock a couple of grades off where you normally operate. I always really liked it but struggled to get people to go and could never understand why . Had a memorable off route in a sea of rock epic high up on one of the big routes (estrecho walls maybe ?) . Very seldom hear of Brits going . In fact I'm of a mind to sort a trip .
Post edited at 14:42
 heleno 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Lesdavmor:

We've been several times over the last 20 years, most recently a few months ago. It's a great place, lots to do at all grades, in and out of the main gorge. There is a fairly recent guidebook in which the grades have been updated so they are less old-school (though still not giveaways).

The refugio always seems to be shut when we go - maybe we just pick the wrong time of year - but there is a climber friendly bar/pizzeria in the Plaza Espana in the town.

Van camping is formally tolerated in a parking area under the main bridge.

It can be combined with a trip to Chulilla - the new development there is amazing, especially if you are operating at 7a and above.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...