UKC

Mera peak in February?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timothy 16 Sep 2015
I'm going to be in Nepal in January-early February (not trekking). My wife wants to come out to join me in February if it is possible to get up a trekking peak. We have trekked in Nepal before but in April. None of the British companies seem to run trips in February, I guess because of the lack of demand or temperatures high up.

Opinion seems to be divided on temperatures when trekking but lots of people say it isn't THAT cold with great weather in the day.

Has anyone heard of anyone climbing Mera or maybe Island Peak then, or done it themselves? Do the local KTM companies run trips in Feb? And would it be ridiculously expensive if it was just my wife and I hiring a guide?

Any advice gratefully received. Tim.
Bserk 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Timothy:

I did EBC in mid March 2014 and it was quite cold.....compared to EBC/Island Peak/Lobuche East in mid April 2015. I think not only temperature might be an issue but also snow/rain conditions and many lodges not being opened yet. My preferred company is Snowyhoriziontreks, drop them an e-mail they have great customized solutions.
OP Timothy 25 Sep 2015
In reply to Bserk:

Thanks, got in touch with them and some other companies. The general consensus is that Mera is a no go because all the tea houses in that area will be shut, however Island Peak and Lobuche East are definite possibilities. I guess they are closer to the Everest BC trek which is possible all winter.
Bserk 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Timothy:

Island Peak and Lobuche East surely are closer to the EBC trek and that one is doable in February....might be a little colder then.
 alasdair19 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Timothy:

brrrr more stable weather
our sirdar had clients who came out in December for better weather. lobuche east (fore summit) is very good. though everything will be quiet so an amazing experience is pretty much guaranteed. I'm guessing you can't rely on tea houses so a little more expensive. yak 's are much cheaper to hire per kg carried than people.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...