UKC

The Hakarena

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 16 Sep 2015

Do you find this insulting to the All Blacks, or is it just a bit of banter?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZlHS_Mn7nWE&

I'd personally be pissed if I were and All Black and want to wipe the floor with the current English squad even though it's an ex player advocating folk to learn it and get behind it.

Edit, I find it in poor taste by the way
Post edited at 12:17
Jim C 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Denni:

Cringworthy.
(I actually felt embarrassed watching it, and I am not even a England Supporter)

England's media are doing the ususl, raising expectations(and increasing the pressure on their players)
I'm not sure they are doing themselves any favours getting involved in the likes of this.
(unless of course there is a nice paypacket in it for them)
 Shani 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Denni:

That actually made me laugh at the end with Dawson's high kick.
 balmybaldwin 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Denni:
There's always been a bit of banter around the haka.... by far the best proposal I've heard is for the England squad to stand and listen, and then break into Morris Dancing squares as a riposte

It would give us an early advantage too as the allblacks wouldn't be able to catch a ball as they'd be pissing themselves laughing for the first 20 minutes
Post edited at 13:16
 andy 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Jim C:

> I'm not sure they are doing themselves any favours getting involved in the likes of this.

> (unless of course there is a nice paypacket in it for them)

When you say "they", d'you mean England's team? Cos I don't think this is anything to do with them (hence they're not wearing England shirts) - this is just Dawson, who has a media career as a sort of Tufnell-esque bufoon (but not as funny) to boost.

Not sure the ABs will be terribly bothered by it, but the Spice Girls royally pissed off the Maori back in the day by doing a piss take of the Haka.
 rodgit 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Denni:

No doubt the PC brigade will be wringing their hands, but fortunately most fans and players ( including the all blacks) have not had a sense of humour bypass.
The all blacks will be fully fired up to "wipe the floor" with the current England team without the need to feel insulted by this bit of harmless fun.
Good luck to all the teams in the forthcoming challenges. May we all enjoy it.
cap'nChino 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Denni:

Harmless fun, but absolutely pointless and cringe worthy.
Pan Ron 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Denni:

Just looks a bit awkward. I can't see anyone being offended by it.

There are of course a few knuckleheads back in NZ who push the patriotism-haka-"god's-own" thing a bit far. But they are the equivalent of parochial middle-Englanders anywhere and while they might bleat a bit on internet forums about disrespect no one over there cares. I quite like seeing teams challenge the haka.

On the flip-side, the haka is getting somewhat over-used now. Great at the start of international matches, but it seems get be getting wheeled out at any opportunity, by anyone, to draw attention to themselves. A bit like flag-waving yanks. Its become a Kiwi brand, and like Lord of the Rings, can be cringeworthy at times.
 Mike Stretford 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Denni:
Rugby League fans used to sing the 'Hokey Cokey' while they did it, which is about right IMO. They should come out early if they want to have a dance.
Post edited at 13:50
 The New NickB 16 Sep 2015
In reply to rodgit:

I'm not sure what it was to do with Welsh nationalism!
 Bob 16 Sep 2015
In reply to Denni:

Given the current RWC based Lucozade advert that's running, I don't think the various teams take all this that seriously.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...