UKC

Gower Rock Climbing Guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 16 Sep 2015
Can anybody please suggest which is the most up to date and comprehensive print guide to the Gower, covering including both trad and sport crags. Thanks in advance for any advice.
 mattrm 16 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:

The SWMC one is the most 'comprehensive' one. But there's only about 200 or so of them still at the warehouse. It's also 13 years old and there aren't many photo topos in it.

The Gower Rock guide is the most recent, has a good selection of the best sport and trad on the Gower. I wouldn't call it comprehensive tho, it's a selected guide. It is quite a thin guide. But what is in there is very good and the topos are excellent. You'll also be supporting Stu and Matt, who are both nice guys.

I'd probably go for getting Gower Rock and you can always use the SWMC Wiki for the other crags.
OP alastairmac 16 Sep 2015
In reply to mattrm:
Thanks for that. I'll take your advice and go for a copy of Gower Rock.
 bpmclimb 16 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:

+1 for Gower Rock. Nice, user-friendly book.
 MikeSP 18 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:

Another one for Gower Rock.
I supplement it with this:
http://www.southwalesmountaineering.org.uk/wiki/Gower

andrewmc 18 Sep 2015
In reply to alastairmac:
I found the Rockfax sport guide quite good (although I don't know if it has been updated with the new Shipwreck Cove/Mermaid Quay stuff), and it was only a fiver, although it looks a bit silly printed out. I know you are supposed to use it on your device but I didn't even have a smartphone then, and even now I'd rather have a paper printout than try and read it off my 4" screen...

I also used the SWMC guide and Gower Selected Rock but I didn't do enough trad to really form a strong opinion (except of course that the topos in the newer guide were a lot better).

The Wiki is comprehensive enough that you could do everything off that, I think, but I am not that organized...
Post edited at 14:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...