UKC

Ausangate Trek

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Legon 17 Sep 2015
Hi all - I'm looking for any recommendations for a guide and/or agency in Peru based in Cusco ideally. The trek I'm doing is the Ausangate Trek, so anyone that's done that trek with a guide I'd be particularly keen to hear from. Thanks!

Will
 Damo 17 Sep 2015
In reply to Will Legon:
I can't help with guides, but I did the circuit in June 2011 and stopped mid-way for four days or so and climbed Ausangate itself. It's a great area and a good trip to do.

We just used a horseman and two horses, hired from Cayetano Crispin in Tinqui (Tinki). He is the most well-known arriero in the region. We did not hire a guide, and it seemed the companies in Cusco operating it were quite expensive.

Horses were about US$15 a day including the horseman, so it can be done very cheaply. I'd factor this in when looking at guiding companies. Cayetano's son spoke a little english but I mostly organised it in my bad Spanish. His son organised a vehicle from Cusco for us and a night at Cayetano's hostel in Tinqi at the beginning and end.

The only thing a guided trip would have added really is a cook and meals, but I prefer to do that myself. Otherwise, you can't really get off route for the circuit, so there is not much for a guide to do.

Note: the hot springs were not that great :-/
Post edited at 10:39
 Andes 17 Sep 2015
In reply to Will Legon:

I would give a second vote to Damo's recommendation. I have been working with Cayetano Crispin for over twenty years and never had any issue with him, he has always proved reliable and friendly.
John
 earlsdonwhu 17 Sep 2015
In reply to Will Legon:

John sorted out the trek for my group years ago! All worked smoothly.

Some great scenery on the way and the possibility of some easy peaks in route.

Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...