UKC

VIDEO: Johnny Dawes: No-Handed Climbing Part 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 17 Sep 2015
Johnny Dawes, 4 kbIt's no secret that British climbing legend Johnny Dawes is pretty 'handy' when it comes to no-handed climbing. A master of balance and momentum, Johnny can walk up climbs that many of us find challenging enough using our hands and feet.

In this second video by Wayne Sharrocks documenting Johnny's no-handed practise, we see Johnny attempting a foot-only ascent of Permutation Rib E1 5c at Caley, aptly naming his no-handed version Perambulation Ridge.

Read more
 paul mitchell 17 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I recall a local climber who is also a little rotund,whom his fans claim has balletic footwork.Mebbe he could have a go at this latest Dawes creation.....
In reply to UKC News:

Johnny "rambo" Dawes the no handed climbing genius," you drew first blood", brilliant!

Babika 17 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant.

Really opens your eyes to the dynamics of feet, leg power, balance etc
 Shani 17 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:
Very interesting. I am surprised at how entertaining it is to watch no-handed climbing. I guess as a climber we can empathise with the difficulty of an ascent without hands, the quality of his footwork, balance, the general kinaesthetic awareness required as well as the leg-strength necessary. Nice one JD!

Good to see headbands are back. Fact.
Post edited at 12:11
 Greenbanks 17 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Legend.
In reply to UKC News:

Nice film. When did they relocate the crag into North Yorkshire though...?
 Red Rover 17 Sep 2015
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Good point it's about 5 mins drive from Leeds Uni!
 clairejane 17 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Johnny is speaking at the Grit event at Longshaw estate on Saturday if any wants more...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/press.php?id=7744

Michael Gordon 17 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Superb!
 stp 17 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

A unique way to express his unique talent. Very creative.

I'm wondering if he renames routes when footless whether he also gives them new grades. Presumably there's not a necessary correspondence between handed and no-handed ascents..
 Michael Gordon 17 Sep 2015
In reply to stp:

>
> I'm wondering if he renames routes when footless whether he also gives them new grades.

Let's hope not! Be great to have a gradeless form of climbing.

blahblahblacksheep 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Thank goodness for something other than bolts vs threads in this "extreme" sport of rock climbing! Impressive footwork and furthermore a great reminder that like everything else in life, it's all just for good fun and in the end everybody returns to their humble non-existence and nobody actually cares that you climb "extreme rock."
In reply to UKC News:

At the end of the day we're left with the beauty of his footwork, which is the secret of all climbing.
 Gone 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Footwork is the secret of all climbing? We need someone to disprove that by a no-legs ascent of something. Arms, core muscles and body camming! (I have seen some amazing videos of single-leg amputee climbers, but no legs at all would be a lot harder - surely it must have been attempted.)
 La benya 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Gone:

You mean campusing?
Wiley Coyote2 18 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Alas poor Johnny. He's given up climbing and taken up walking.
 Pete Pozman 18 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

This video is a massive bummer! I was enjoying it until I realised what route he was on. Permutation Rib was one of my biggest ticks. Thank you very much Johnny for totally crushing the last vestiges of my ego.
Wiley Coyote2 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Don't be such a Mary Ellen, Pete. It was probably only VS back when you did it.
 Fruit 18 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Some people make the world a better place to be, Jonny is one of them Oh to be able to move with such fluidity.
 Pete Pozman 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

It had just been upgraded from VS 5a to HVS 5b.
At least Johnny didn't solo it.
Is descending climbs upside down at speed good? Cos I've done quite a lot of that.
 andybenham 18 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant!

This just made me smile. Johnny came down to Cornwall and taught a few of us for a day at Carn Barra a little while back. Lovely bloke. A lot of the day was spent doing no handed moves on the boulders below the cliff. Later he top roped grand plage in his airwalks.

Humbling.
 nb 19 Sep 2015
In reply to Gone:

> Footwork is the secret of all climbing? We need someone to disprove that by a no-legs ascent of something. Arms, core muscles and body camming! (I have seen some amazing videos of single-leg amputee climbers, but no legs at all would be a lot harder - surely it must have been attempted.)

http://planetgrimpe.com/2014/08/29/video-insolite-stefano-ghisolfi-enchaine...
 Hamfunk 20 Sep 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Funny video! Anyone notice his magic shorts which go from completely ripped down the back of both legs to completely repaired??!! (03:28)
astley007 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Hamfunk:

Also wondering how long his sportivas take to delaminate?
Lusk 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> This video is a massive bummer! I was enjoying it until I realised what route he was on. Permutation Rib was one of my biggest ticks. Thank you very much Johnny for totally crushing the last vestiges of my ego.

The man who put up Indian Face 30 years ago, and from the account I seem to remember, he couldn't link the moves together on top rope but reasoned back in the valley that the adrenalin would get him through on the lead, I wouldn't feel too crushed myself!!!
Lusk 20 Sep 2015
In reply to Hamfunk:

> Funny video! Anyone notice his magic shorts which go from completely ripped down the back of both legs to completely repaired??!! (03:28)

Didn't spot that from wondering how many pies has he been eating recently

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...