UKC

Nepal permit advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi all

I'm looking for info about trying to get a permit from the ministry of tourism in Nepal. I'd lke to get a permit for something that isn't on the NMA list- can you do this in advance, or do you just have to go to the offices in Kathmandu and see what they will give you?

Cheers

Will
 Damo 18 Sep 2015
In reply to Will_Thomas_Harris:

It depends.

The NMA manages the official list of Trekking Peaks. The Ministry of Tourism does Expedition Peaks. Expedition Peaks below 6500m can be better value than Trekking Peaks as you don't need an LO or Sirdar/Guide. They may also be unclimbed.

So you probably want the MT, not the NMA. In my limited experience of them they don't have a clue about any mountain in Nepal, other than maybe Everest. Hitting them with an application for some unusual mountain will just get either silence, or a form letter to refer to the list, or some other equally useless thing. Officially, if it's not on the list, they probably won't entertain it. Doesn't hurt to try though. Might be good to get the name of a particular official and address it directly.

Really, you're better off finding a very good agency who can push it for you. I don't have one to recommend, but L.A might, if he sees this post. If you need logistical support for the trip, and a good agent can't secure you a permit, maybe it needs to go in the 'too hard for now' basket.

Depending on the location you might, say, be able to get a permit for the peak next to it, then get 'confused' and climb the 'wrong' peak. This has been done a bit.

Depending on the location, you may just be better off going 'unauthorised' and trekking in and trying it. I've done both ways and now generally favour the latter. Of course, apart from being terrible advice that you should not follow or hold me responsible for, it does have other drawbacks (decreasing availability of suitable porters, police check posts etc).
In reply to Damo:

Great, thanks for the advice. We're going to head to one of the peaks on the NMA list, which is super easy for permits, but wanted to see if we could get a permit sorted for something a little more off the beaten track.

Cheers

Will

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...